Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

JUH was very poor last night no doubt

Starting to wonder if JUH is the right fit for the club. Very disappointed with his season, he’s been off for the most part of it and plays selfish footy at times

His effort on the ground last night begs the question that how is a player of his capability doing so poorly?

I’ll say it again….. Spangher.

You watch JUH and he plays behind the man, his 2nd quarter miss from 15 meters out was literally a 2 step run up way too close to the mark.

That’s what happens when you’ve paid peanuts for coaching staff

Starting to wonder if JUH is the right fit for the club. Very disappointed with his season, he’s been off for the most part of it and plays selfish footy at times

His effort on the ground last night begs the question that how is a player of his capability doing so poorly?

I’ll say it again….. Spangher.

You watch JUH and he plays behind the man, his 2nd quarter miss from 15 meters out was literally a 2 step run up way too close to the mark.

Exactly. A bit player utility who was never really a forward, let alone a good forward, trying to coach forwards how to be forwards. Absolutely brainless.

Missing absolute sitters, trying to take spectacular marks giving away frees. Just dumb as **** last night.

I didn't watch long enough to see him laughing it up after the game...
...I'm all for a post-game chat etc, more-so than others here I suspect, but last night? He should have been too embarrassed to stay on the ground any longer than he had to.
I don't care so much about any kind of killer attitude, or lack of 'mongrel', but some professional pride would be nice.

My two "obvious" signs have been covered to death already here aswell.
The amount of missed tackles.
Tim English as a "ruck".

Again, maybe a slightly different take than a few others here, but I didn't get a lack-of-agression vibe, but even when he won clear taps, not one (as I remember) went to our advantage.
Random hits that were generally swooped on by the Hawk mids.

Not being able to get that initial ball forward killed our game completely.

(I haven't looked at any stats yet, but I suspect as a big bodied mid, Nash well and truly out-Bonted the Bont too... 😔)

Watching Daniel run around in the guts while Bont disappeared forward was hard to take. Terrible move; a defeatist signal to their teammates

Daniel had 23 disposals, 6th highest on the ground. I don't care how accurate and efficient those disposals were . They did little damage. He was a complete liability otherwise, chasing shadows - and even when he caught his man, he was unable to lay a tackle.

It's not his fault, he shouldn't be in the heart of midfield.

Darcy spent way too much time in the ruck & then was all over the place. English rarely spends that much time on the bench. Was this an admission of defeat ?

Let JUH do the relief rucking if necessary. He's 198cm tall with a huge leap.

We have a player in Darcy who kicks goals for fun. He's the closest player you'll see to the old mantra of "just plonk him in the goalsquare'

Bev has signalled over the years he has no interest in the ruck position anyway .

Hawks too good but those 3 gave us no chance and gave us nothing.
VDM 11 disposals 5 turnovers 1 charity goal 3 tackles.
Mc Neil 10 disposal at 40%
Gallagher 5 disposals in 3 quarters

Why are they a shit supporter? Because they put an emotional hedge on, and thought Bevo and his coaches might not plan to take away the opposition’s strengths (which turned out to be correct)?

I put $50 on the hawks for the flag before yesterday’s game, so I’m a shit supporter too?

It’s a footy club, not a cult

No one cares about a few $ being hedged anywhere, but I suspect the lack of any emotional connection or particular interest implied by 'not even watching the game' has rightly triggered a few.

You seriously think the coaches were left not knowing what to do when a team switches the ball?

Is that some sort of new tactic, switching the ball? Bevo didn’t explain to the players they need to roll over to the far side when a team switches the ball?

The logical explanation would be that the players just didn’t work hard enough to cover the ground. Nah, that’s too logical, let’s go with the coach not preparing the team for the opposition switching the ball. The new world, out of the box tactic of switching the ball.
I agree but doesn't the coach through the runners and at quarter time breaks reinforce the tactics and what we should focus on for the next quarter? I saw no change in our players.

Harmes went to him. He just couldn't keep up.
I would have just sent Marra to him after half time. Jamarra couldn't get near it, at least make him useful.
I observed Sicily going to Daniel at the opening bounce, Caleb then pushed up as an extra mid leaving Sicily loose. We played right into his hands at times I'm afraid

Exactly. A bit player utility who was never really a forward, let alone a good forward, trying to coach forwards how to be forwards. Absolutely brainless.
Anyone who has a football brain can see Spangher is not the right fit to be a dedicated forward coach. But year after year he is left in that role Time for Chris Crant to be moved on as our football manager.

How a HF can play every single game in a season average 10 disposals whilst only kicking 10 goals and not even averaging 2 tackles a game is Unfathomable. Bevo has his favourites and it hurts the team.
I'm sure he is a very good people person but selection integrity must play on the players minds.

English is a midfielder who grew too big. Never a ruckman.
VDM not good enough
McNeil not good enough.

Maybe jj for JOD.

We should have had west play on Sicily and had macrae should have started and we should have put work into newcombe. The coaches failed us.

I don't want to call out some of our veterans. But the game is about to leave them.

The funniest part of the night may have been McNeil going to Sicily.
The problem for the coaches was that a lot of the players were just off. Making moves was like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

The big question for me is why that was, but then again West Coast fans had the same question when we smashed them in 2016 (and Collingwood 2006 etc).

Sometimes it happens in finals. I do wonder if there’s anything in our preparation we would do differently etc.

Season is done now regardless. I’m very happy with what the coaches did post round 8, but you’d think if they don’t get straight back on with it from the start of next season there will be change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you look at it now that its done, two things stand out.

1. the last few weeks of the year we gradually injected experience at the expense of pace and an eye to the future,
we went safe and paid the price,

2. This group carry scars more than most and lack resilience. The hawks have owned us physically for two years and rather than fight to overturn it, they rolled over again...and they'll get a pat on the head from Bevo for doing it.

Meanwhile, Plough Wallace is in a quiet corner somewhere, dutifully spewing up.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. But looking back now, yep - way too many older, slow players that were always going to get run over. Arty was stiff to be dropped and I would have recalled West based on his season.
#Deckchairs

I agree but doesn't the coach through the runners and at quarter time breaks reinforce the tactics and what we should focus on for the next quarter? I saw no change in our players.

So because we didn’t get a certain response form the players, you’re putting it down to the coach not addressing things at the breaks?

If Jamarra has a shot at goal, and he kicks it out on the full, is it because the coach didn’t remind him before the game that he needs to kick it between the two middle posts?

Now that I've had a sleep and had time to cool off after that embarrassment, I am thinking clearly again.

I've come to the conclusion that a door stop would do a better job as coach.
Sack the coach.

See you all next season.

Swap last nights coaches all season we finish top 2 they finish 10-14

100 per cent. Maybe one day the club will realise the Mitchell 'Win at all costs' approach rather than fantasies and fairy tales, free hugs, and participation medals is the way to go. Here's hoping it's soon.

So because we didn’t get a certain response form the players, you’re putting it down to the coach not addressing things at the breaks?

If Jamarra has a shot at goal, and he kicks it out on the full, is it because the coach didn’t remind him before the game that he needs to kick it between the two middle posts?
Strongly agree. When players come out with that mindset you can flip the magnets and shout in the huddle all you like.

It reminds me a lot of our 2019 season in a lot of ways.

I won’t let a crap game sully my view of what happened the previous 15 or so games but if they’ve cracked the code with this side we’ll see performance from round one next year.

Cody’s Instagram story with the words “ya win some ya lose some”

Really ****ing poor from someone I have a lot of time for.

Seriously? Sums up where the club is at. Wow. Losers. Why am I putting my hard earned into the club again? No idea, but if that's the standard I might put it into something else next year.

Why waste my time if they take such a blase attitude to being eliminated from
and embarrassed in a final (again)? What's the point? They don't care, they don't hurt, so why should I?

and the fact that the same bloke who posted that was missing 99.99% of last night's game is ironic. You've lost me, Cody. Can't wait to watch you kick 4 easy goals against North and Richmond at Marvel next year. History now shows that's when you turn up for games not big games

Not my SM scene, but assuming that's correct...

Can create art apparently, but not so good at reading the room. Thanks for caring Weightman. And if that's a common feeling amongst the players and their coach, I'm more than happy atm to direct my money elsewhere.

If I'm the coach I'm dragging players for not following instructions. Did this happen? If not then the coach is happy with the players actions.

Hawks too good but those 3 gave us no chance and gave us nothing.
VDM 11 disposals 5 turnovers 1 charity goal 3 tackles.
Mc Neil 10 disposal at 40%
Gallagher 5 disposals in 3 quarters
The captain and 'best player in the comp' had 11 touches at 3 quarter time. Our vice captain was a headless chook and our ruckman was pathetic.

Bevo got completely and utterly out coached last night.

Strongly agree. When players come out with that mindset you can flip the magnets and shout in the huddle all you like.

It reminds me a lot of our 2019 season in a lot of ways.

I won’t let a crap game sully my view of what happened the previous 15 or so games but if they’ve cracked the code with this side we’ll see performance from round one next year.

Cracked what code? We just failed dismally on the big stage. The previous 15 weeks mean nothing. Finals are the only thing that matters.

We haven't cracked any code and I expect the same underperformance next year because the club won't make changes and will just drift into 2025 expecting a different result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back