Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Swap last nights coaches all season we finish top 2 they finish 10-14
I went through the same thought experiment.

How would last night's game have played out if the coaches were swapped (all season, not just for the night)?

Came up with a similar conclusion.

Nothing like travelling for 2 days to watch your mob make f**k all effort. The body language even in the first when we were up told me we were going to get pumped. Nights like last night make me wonder if it is worth the time, $ and effort.

Edit: why the f**k didn’t we take a risk and go up the guts when we were 5 goals behind? We just chipped it around until we turned it over.

Cracked what code? We just failed dismally on the big stage. The previous 15 weeks mean nothing. Finals are the only thing that matters.

We haven't cracked any code and I expect the same underperformance next year because the club won't make changes and will just drift into 2025 expecting a different result.
Be honest: at round 8 did you have us winning 14 games for the season?

Now that I've had a sleep and had time to cool off after that embarrassment, I am thinking clearly again.

I've come to the conclusion that a door stop would do a better job as coach.
Sack the coach.

See you all next season.
At least they weren't first to 100 points.

Not my SM scene, but assuming that's correct...

Can create art apparently, but not so good at reading the room. Thanks for caring Weightman. And if that's a common feeling amongst the players and their coach, I'm more than happy atm to direct my money elsewhere.
i remember after the Grand Final loss in 21 feeling like the players didnt seem overally upset with the loss, especially with all the stuff that transpired after the game but it was put to let the players blow off some steam

JUH laughing, Codys post idk is this team actually hungry for a flag? lol

Does he drag all 18 at the same time or rotate them through the bench 4 at a time until they’ve all learnt their lesson?
I thought you had coached before. The answer is obvious you only need to emphasize that the strategy is to man Sicily and prevent the switch and if you can't do this spend some time on the bench. Guess what the message will get through quickly.

The captain and 'best player in the comp' had 11 touches at 3 quarter time. Our vice captain was a headless chook and our ruckman was pathetic.
And I'm sure it wasn't our captains choice to spend majority of the 3rd quarter forward. Look how he started the last give him that chance in the 3rd when game still on the line.
Also 5 minutes into the 3rd you could tell we were in big strife I was hoping our coach would get on the front foot and make the sub with game in the balance (hawks misses kept us close) but nope let's activate when game is done.

IDGAF about the rest of the finals, or the CSM or Brownlow, so last couple for me for a while.

Dear's 'mark' completed almost entirely over the line and D'ambrosio's diving smother that 90,000 patrons saw him clearly touch... boundary ump too gutless to make the right call, and a goal ump and field ump too stupid to trust their own eyes and refer it upstairs. The sooner we replace these inept f***-sticks with AI technology the better. Apart from David Rodan, the AFL umpiring panel in its entirety can burn in hell.

And only a couple (but enough) of completely class less Dawks near us not satisfied with a significant lead late in q4 and felt the need to spout derogatory comments at Bulldog supporters minding their own business (and misery) taints that entire club for me. Hopefully the karma bus hits both them and their players figuratively and literally in the next week or so.

10-12 weeks of mostly terrific football in the box and on the ground made completely worthless by a few days of selection, pregame planning and game day execution by coach and players. I largely checked out emotionally after half time, as the players' body language showed we were done. And with Jones nearly 34, if Lobb chooses to leave, we're not holding ground even if Busslinger has any impact next year, with our KPD stocks.

2024 is not 2015, and 2025 will not be 2016. I fully expect a 2017/2022 drop off next year.

Prove me wrong Beveridge...

Took my 7 year old daughter who isn’t really the biggest footy fan and gave me an excuse to leave early in the 3rd quarter.

The writing was on the wall in the 2nd quarter and I said to the guy next to me that the game looks done at half time. 5 mins into the third confirmed that and I was home before the game ended.

Saw Sicily take some intercept marks in the 2nd and I was thinking why we only had one tall forward down there. Few minutes later and Naughton is lining up in the ruck. WTF?

During the year Fox Footy were highlighting how West was keeping intercept markers accountable so why he wasn’t picked for a defensive forward role is madness. Can kick a goal too.

Poor preparation and mind boggling selection. Why mess with this stuff so late in the season when it’s not forced??

As many people have said, don’t get beaten by what you know. We all knew how they had beaten us previously and did nothing to stop that last night. Even if we didn't plan to stop that and go head-to-head instead, we were outplayed and outworked.

Overall a poor night for the club and badly executed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'm sure it wasn't our captains choice to spend majority of the 3rd quarter forward. Look how he started the last give him that chance in the 3rd when game still on the line.
Also 5 minutes into the 3rd you could tell we were in big strife I was hoping our coach would get on the front foot and make the sub with game in the balance (hawks misses kept us close) but nope let's activate when game is done.
We looked to be in big trouble in the second. You could see a belting coming. The captain had 1 touch in that quarter. I've said earlier I hope it was injury otherwise that's a huge fail for such a player.

I thought you had coached before. The answer is obvious you only need to emphasize that the strategy is to man Sicily and prevent the switch and if you can't do this spend some time on the bench. Guess what the message will get through quickly.

Maybe we could ask for an exemption from the AFL and have 6 on the bench. That way we can rotate them 6 at a time, so we don’t take up too much time teaching lessons.

How much time should each player spend on the bench? I reckon they need a good 10min each minimum. Anything less and they probably won’t get it through their heads that they need to work harder when Hawks shift the ball wide.

We might need to ask the AFL to lengthen our game times too. Would need 50min quarters minimum so we can bench all the players that aren’t doing their job.

He was given that chance in the first half. And did sweet f**k all. The move forward was an attempt to get some response elsewhere on the ground.

He finally came to life in the last, but the game was done by that stage.

On the crowd I was in a predominantly bulldogs area but there was that situation that happens most games where people bring their friends or family members who are the opposition and they just go over the top all game just spill abuse all around. Clearly it’s what they do as friends and family but it’s the most annoying part of going to the games

Two things that couldn't happen going into that game if we were serious in our preparation and serious about winning.

1) Sicily roaming around doing whatever he wants & 2) Newcombe strolling through the midfield doing whatever he wants.

Bev and the brains trust have 2 weeks to come up with some form of a plan and.....

Sicily does whatever he wants & Newcombe does whatever he wants.

Truly pathetic display. Leaves another bitter taste in the mouth and more questions than answers.
You honestly believe that the coaching panel went into the game without a plan to combat how Hawthorn play. Given the fact that they beat us early in the year and all but snuffed out our finals hopes last year?

You guys need to get it into your heads that our list isn't equiped to combat the style of game plan that Hawthorn have developed. Especially on the bigger grounds. I said at the start of the year because so many quality talls fell into our lap that there was going to be a price to pay besides the actual draft capital required. I had a sense that we may be setting up to fight a war that nobody else was fighting.

I suspected that the game was heading further in the direction that Richmond pioneered where run and gun just overwhelmed traditionally set up forwards and defences whose cornerstones are talls. Our game is very dependant on midfield dominance around stoppages due to the lack of quality outside run. Bringing Richards into the starting midfield rotation went some way towards papering over those cracks, but as last nigh showed, once that dam wall breaks the flood overwhelms us. Losing Bailey Smith (should it come to pass) is going to compound these issues much more than people seem to realise as they look longingly at the magic draft beans that we will get in return.

This has been a problem with our side for years and because of the cost of the talls that we have brought in, it is not as easy a fix as some would have it. It's why the likes of Macrae and Daniel were sidelined for extended periods as the m.c looked for a solution to this glaring issue from the list that they had. Not the list that contains the likes of phantasy trades that would've seen Zac Butters playing the roles currently held by the guys that are 18-23 in the team sheet.

Much of last nights failure lays at the feet of our midfield and their inability to get their hands on the ball, use it cleanly when they did, or lay a glove on let alone contain their direct opponent. Swinging the magnets, playing others or whatever other coping mechanism people choose to go with doesn't change that fact.

Hawthorn have caught lightning in a bottle and their form is real enough to surpass what we achieved in 2016.

Last edited:
Maybe we could ask for an exemption from the AFL and have 6 on the bench. That way we can rotate them 6 at a time, so we don’t take up too much time teaching lessons.

How much time should each player spend on the bench? I reckon they need a good 10min each minimum. Anything less and they probably won’t get it through their heads that they need to work harder when Hawks shift the ball wide.

We might need to ask the AFL to lengthen our game times too. Would need 50min quarters minimum so we can bench all the players that aren’t doing their job.
WTF?

Far out Cody… if it doesn’t mean that much to you I reckon you can **** off. What’s wrong with these blokes?

Surely someone from the club is telling him to take that down asap.

Besides our senior players + Ed Richards and Darcy are the only ones who looked like they cared we lost.

Sat around a bunch of Hawks supporters and they were honestly great.

Had a ****wit Bulldogs supporter next to me who didn’t shut up all game and was running her mouth with 5 minutes to go.

We had a few interspersed in our bay, and they were fine too. As were most of the next bay of almost exclusively Hawks.

I'm just not sure why you wouldn't enjoy your team comfortably leading late in q4 of an elimination, and instead choose to go out of your way to abuse Bulldogs supporters quietly making their way out a few mins before the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back