Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Either way next week will be entertaining..

Either Port lose and the knives come out on Hinkley big time because of their choke, or the arrogant smug Hawks will come crashing down along with many of their flog supporters .

I’d have thought the best outcome all round would be a Port win next week but then a collapse in the PF. Win-win.

And I'm sure it wasn't our captains choice to spend majority of the 3rd quarter forward. Look how he started the last give him that chance in the 3rd when game still on the line.
Also 5 minutes into the 3rd you could tell we were in big strife I was hoping our coach would get on the front foot and make the sub with game in the balance (hawks misses kept us close) but nope let's activate when game is done.
thought the same, we were on the ropes and a tactical sub was a really smart move and worth the risk, Macrae to come on for a run with role

The Harmes call to play him as essentially a wingman ended up being a repeat of playing McLean there in the 2022 EF. Groundhog Day stuff. Don’t think that was the right role for him.

Daniel got a fair bit of the ball, but was absolutely woeful when the Hawks had it. I watched him closely a number of times, caught completely out of defensive position. And when he did find himself in the right spot defensively, he was physically incapable of impacting. It was a mistake to revert to Daniel in the back end of the season. Would have much rather seen Sanders out there competing, able to go with the Hawks flankers.

Sicily stood Daniel in our forward line at the opening bounce. We allowed him to ostensibly play on Daniel or McNeil for huge chunks of the game, peeling off to intercept without fear. It had a big impact on the result because instead of forcing stoppages in our front half it just flew back the other way time after time.

Plonking Bont at half forward for huge chunks of the middle of the game while it slipped away was poor. I suspect it would be quite rare that the solution to any problem on the field is to take your best player and put him where the ball ain’t.

Does he drag all 18 at the same time or rotate them through the bench 4 at a time until they’ve all learnt their lesson?

No at that point as a coach you don’t drag all 18 you go to your board and you tell them my message is not getting through or players are not following it.

May be just May be I’m done here or the players don’t believe in what I’m telling them or may be they are thick and don’t understand it.

Sicily not been dealt with suggests to me there was a serious lack of planning.
Sicily and Newcomb have taken us to the cleaners before and what did we do give them a free pass to do it again

Did anyone else notice how many blind Hawks fans there were last night?

Taking nothing away from their win. It was a far more superior performance and credit to them. But their supporters, I tell ya what. How many times did they start cheering before their shots at goal crossed the goal line? Often this would be followed by either a behind or a kick that failed to score. It didn't happen once or twice. I lost count in the end, but easily 10-12 times. And it's not like that was isolated to only one end of the ground where angles can sometimes be deceiving. Hawks fans going up as one from all areas of the stadium.

The same thing for umpiring decisions. Were their supporters seeing it differently to neutrals, even after decisions were replayed on the scoreboard. I.e. Booing decisions that went against them time and time again even though the scoreboard often proved the umpires' decision was correct? WTF was with that? Are their supporters usually like that? I hadn't been to a Hawks match since 2017 (Farewell Murph & Boyd) but I can't recall they were this bad back then.

It makes next week's match so interesting. Possibly the two strangest supporter bases around currently.

I was in a box so pretty much drank myself into oblivion in the 2nd half as it was very obvious from 1/4 time where the game was headed. Beaten by a much better team.

I don't see a single thing in Gallagher. 5 possessions in more than a half playing on the ball is God awful Happened about 7 times this year he had single possession games playing on ball, yet bevo persists. I at least see mcneil and vdm do some good things occasionally and u derstand what they can bring. Yes Garcia can turn it over but at least he knows how to get the pill.

Apologies for language in my last post, but ANY BF poster venturing onto the opposition's autopsy thread, particularly after a final, deserves all the opprobrium they get.
They’re high off an elim final win after a decade in no man’s land, but if they crap the bed next week then watch them magically disappear.

They’re high off an elim final win after a decade in no man’s land, but if they crap the bed next week then watch them magically disappear.

As much as I would thoroughly enjoy a Dawks loss next week, I expect them to take Port to the cleaners. No Houston, query on Butters, their players with another straight sets exit in the back of their minds. With last night's momentum, I'll be surprised if the margin is under 6 goals.

No at that point as a coach you don’t drag all 18 you go to your board and you tell them my message is not getting through or players are not following it.

May be just May be I’m done here or the players don’t believe in what I’m telling them or may be they are thick and don’t understand it.

Sicily not been dealt with suggests to me there was a serious lack of planning.
Sicily and Newcomb have taken us to the cleaners before and what did we do give them a free pass to do it again

When Bont has 30 and kicks 3, has the opposition not planned for that?

What about Tom Stewart dominating games in the air? Cameron kicking 7? Max Gawn having 50+ hit outs and taking 7 contested grabs? Opposition not planned for any of that?

Coaches can plan all they want, doesn’t mean it becomes effective strategy, or even executed correctly on field.

You are are pretty naive if you believe that the coaches put no planning in to certain aspects of the Hawks games, just because Sicily played well.

Sat around a bunch of Hawks supporters and they were honestly great.

Had a ****wit Bulldogs supporter next to me who didn’t shut up all game and was running her mouth with 5 minutes to go.
We also had no issues with the Hawks supporters around us. Surprised that others had such bad experiences. Our area in M55 on level 1 actually had pretty good vibes. One Bulldogs supporter cracked the shits over the Hawks supporters behind him celebrating goals, but that was it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Tom Stewart dominating games in the air? Cameron kicking 7? Max Gawn having 50+ hit outs and taking 7 contested grabs? Opposition not planned for any of that?

Coaches can plan all they want, doesn’t mean it becomes effective strategy, or even executed correctly on field.

You are are pretty naive if you believe that the coaches put no planning in to certain aspects of the Hawks games, just because Sicily played well.
This is the obvious point.

A player having a good game doesn’t mean a lack of planning by the other side. Bailey Dale regularly runs riot from the backline and Bont regularly annihilates opposition midfields despite opposition planning.

If we’re getting smacked out of the middle it’s ultimately up to our (allegedly blue chip) midfielders to turn that around. Bont is supposed to be the best player in the game. The opposition has a plan for him every week and it usually doesn’t matter.

The coaches can’t run out there and instruct them in each individual contest. They can remind players what they’re meant to do or move them around but if it doesn’t work there’s not much they can do.

When Stewart and Sicily bend you over time tome again add others here also I do wonder if the coaches plan

Once twice maybe after that I beg to differ it comes as by surprise how they do it.

When Stewart and Sicily bend you over time rune again I wonder if the coaches plan

Once twice maybe after that I beg to differ
There was one moment where I saw us kicking down the line on the wing, I watch Sicily roam around for a full 10 seconds before the ball was kicked, when the ball left the foot, when the ball was in the air and when it was eventually marked. Guess who marked it.

He had no direct opponent and just marked the ball out the back since everyone else completely misjudged it. Before the ball had even reached its highest point in the air I turned to my mate and told him Sicily would mark it.

When Stewart and Sicily bend you over time tome again add others here also I do wonder if the coaches plan

Once twice maybe after that I beg to differ it comes as by surprise how they do it.

Stewart’s been bending teams over every week for the last 6 years.

Is that zero planning from all 17 coaches in those 132 games?

The other point is every side has their dangerous players and you can’t blanket them without giving something up.

A good solution to the Sicily/Stewart problem is the win in the midfield, move it forward quickly and have your key forwards compete.

If you get smashed out of the middle, move it forward slowly and poorly and your former number one pick barely breaks out of a jog the entire game it shouldn’t surprise when a designated intercept player takes a whole lot of easy marks.

You could ‘tag’ them, but it will rob you elsewhere.

Not worried about other teams I worry about us.

We are playing Hawks Sicily is a key to them he has played very well against us multiple times and bent us over he just did it again

Let’s leave it at that if he had a plan obviously didn’t go well again and Sicily did nothing different to other times he played against us

Borderline negligence

Outcoached from the first bounce.

Starting Jamarra on the bench and having Daniel and VDM forward on Sicilly and Impey was dumb.
The only time all three talls went forward at the same time was the start of the last. This forced Sicilly to go to Jamarra, and was less obliged to leave his man.
Vandermeer is a selfish footballer who refused to man up, or follow a player. In the second quarter when the heat was on he let his player slide off from half back and left Williams taking two players. Vandermeer then went to town on Williams, flog!
Absolute liability anytime he was on the ground, and disgusting that he was given 24 games this season.

Bevo proved again that he had no plan B, and no lockdown plan at clearances. The same thing that tore the dogs apart in the 2021 gf.

No help for Bont in the midfield. No chop outs or pressure on his opponents. He is the key to the sides momentum, but his teammates did nothing at stoppages to get him out.

Harmes selection was bewildering, but not above Vandermeer.

We are playing Hawks Sicily is a key to them he has played very well against us multiple times and bent us over he just did it again

Let’s leave it at that if he had a plan obviously didn’t go well again and Sicily did nothing different to other times he played against us

Borderline negligence
I expected Harmes to go straight to Sicily, get in his face and drive him mad. In my admittedly limited understanding of modern football, I still thought Sicily was "gettable", given Harmes' ability to upset blokes.

Then I remembered - we have the famous No Tag mantra working wonders for us 🙄

The other point is every side has their dangerous players and you can’t blanket them without giving something up.

A good solution to the Sicily/Stewart problem is the win in the midfield, move it forward quickly and have your key forwards compete.

If you get smashed out of the middle, move it forward slowly and poorly and your former number one pick barely breaks out of a jog the entire game it shouldn’t surprise when a designated intercept player takes a whole lot of easy marks.

You could ‘tag’ them, but it will rob you elsewhere.

100% this.

Our ball movement was poor last night and gave Hawthorns back half players time to set up and get one unaccountable player free to create the extra at most aerial contests.

If their defenders had there hands full, as they should have considering the tall threats we have and the way we’ve moved the ball for the last 3 months, then they have less impact like Sicily had.

Our contest players through the middle let us down with poor def pressure, weak spread from the contest both offensively and defensively. That set the forward line up to fail, but the forward line didn’t work anywhere near as much as they should have.

It’s easy for guys like Sicily when they get that kind of game on a silver platter.

Borderline negligence

Why don’t teams just plan for him each week and then he has no impact in any game he plays?

He plays well most games. Does that mean no planning from any other teams also?

Why don’t teams just plan for him each week and then he has no impact in any game he plays?

He plays well most games. Does that mean no planning from any other teams also?
Plays well most games yes bends us over most times yes there is a difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back