Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Right, mids, listen up. Don't let this bloke with the mo and racquet run rampant in the middle."

images - 2024-09-07T123021.917.jpeg

"And forwards, big or small, make sure you keep this Italian island accountable, right?"

images - 2024-09-07T140309.753.jpeg

"Any questions? No? Good. Now bring it in for the pre-game hug..."

**** obviously this never happened. Mainly because that's a map of Sardinia, not Sicily. 😉

So no planning from any other team for Sicily?

I find that hard to believe.

there is a difference playing well and dominating and bending one over we have suffered too many times from the two latter from Sicily

Anyone saying we planned for Sicily, Newcombe watched a different game to me.

We rolled Sicily’s man up to the stoppage had no one paying direct attention to him or trying to put themselves in a dangerous position if he zoned off them. We instead pushed an extra up and kicked it straight to him. Yes a player can have a good game against you but when they are operating at 100% efficiency it’s because they are under no pressure.

Newcombe was manned by JOD at multiple forward 50 stoppages for them that suggests no direct attention given to him.

On the opposite Jones was kept deep and wide by Gunston all night basically out of the contest and when Gunston was subbed, whoever jones went to ran him up the ground generally to the switch position so either he went with them and was taken out of defence or he zoned off and it allowed them to switch and overlap in transition

So no planning from any other team for Sicily?

I find that hard to believe.

Regular season is different to finals for a start.

You keep bringing up Stewart, but Geelong have many players you have to keep accountable, Hawthorn don’t have the same level of individual talent on their roster.

Sicily and Newcombe were the two obvious dangers and it was obvious there was no proper plan to try and negate them. You can keep making these stupid comments but the reality is we planned poorly for this game.

Knowing our weaknesses and previous losses to Hawthorn, you would think we would try and address some of these issues. We didn’t.

Hawks too good but those 3 gave us no chance and gave us nothing.
VDM 11 disposals 5 turnovers 1 charity goal 3 tackles.
Mc Neil 10 disposal at 40%
Gallagher 5 disposals in 3 quarters
Let’s beat up on the usual suspects. They are not why we lost. We were out-coached and out fought. Our boys collectively shat the bed.

there is a difference playing well and dominating and bending one over we have suffered too many times from the two latter from Sicily

So if we put planning in to Sicily, he’ll play well, but won’t actually bend us over?

How big is the gap in performance between playing well and bending a team over?

You keep brining up Stewart, but Geelong have many players you have to keep accountable, Hawthorn don’t have the same level of individual talent on their roster.

Sicily and Newcombe were the two obvious dangers and it was obvious there was no proper plan to try and negate them. You can keep making these stupid comments but the reality is we planned poorly for this game.

Knowing our weaknesses and previous losses to Hawthorn, you would think we would try and address some of these issues. We didn’t.

It’s pretty simple don’t get beaten by what you know and we regularly get beaten by what we know.

So if we put planning in to Sicily, he’ll play well, but won’t actually bend us over?

How big is the gap in performance between playing well and bending a team over?
See last night there is the difference

Plan yep some players still play well but don’t necessarily have a big impact on the game don’t plan and see last night.

Anyone saying we planned for Sicily, Newcombe watched a different game to me.

We rolled Sicily’s man up to the stoppage had no one paying direct attention to him or trying to put themselves in a dangerous position if he zoned off them. We instead pushed an extra up and kicked it straight to him. Yes a player can have a good game against you but when they are operating at 100% efficiency it’s because they are under no pressure.

Newcombe was manned by JOD at multiple forward 50 stoppages for them that suggests no direct attention given to him.

On the opposite Jones was kept deep and wide by Gunston all night basically out of the contest and when Gunston was subbed, whoever jones went to ran him up the ground generally to the switch position so either he went with them and was taken out of defence or he zoned off and it allowed them to switch and overlap in transition
Thank you

You keep brining up Stewart, but Geelong have many players you have to keep accountable, Hawthorn don’t have the same level of individual talent on their roster.

So because Sicily and Newcombe played well, as they do most weeks, you’ve determined we definitely didn’t have a plan for them?

How do you explain the other good games they’ve played well? The other clubs/coaches haven’t put any planning in either?

You don’t think it’s strange that no coaches put any planning in to these players? Have a proper think about what you’re suggesting.

Pardon the intrusion.

I think you guys will be alright. Hawks are on a mentally charged run, very hard to stop. You have a fantastic list with not many holes and last night you were a bit off. In this season particularly being a bit off loses you games. I reckon your future looks awesome, Darcy will be better than Curnow, he's only a baby in AFL life and looks so threatening.

You'll be top 4 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion.

I think you guys will be alright. Hawks are on a mentally charged run, very hard to stop. You have a fantastic list with not many holes and last night you were a bit off. In this season particularly being a bit off loses you games. I reckon your future looks awesome, Darcy will be better than Curnow, he's only a baby in AFL life and looks so threatening.

You'll be top 4 next year.
We have plenty of holes in our list just fyi

Doesn't count for anything. It's a failed season. The only thing that counts is embarrassing ourselves on the big stage in the only game that matters.
We did it by changing from being one of the worst defensive sides to literally the best. Then we crapped the bed in a final, admittedly against very in form opposition who are reminiscent of us in ‘16 or Melbourne in ‘18.

If we carry that through to next year and are successful then last night was a stumble on the way through.

It only means nothing if we fall into a hole again next season - ie I don’t worry about 2015 because of 2016.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding glib and just plain uninformed, genuine question. How is Hawthorn better than us??? Looking at the respective list profiles and the trajectories of where each team should really be out, it's puzzling. And 'puzzling' is the mildest adjective I could come up with.

Last night, I'd say it was player buy-in to the game plan, plus poor selection. We probably have them on known talent, but last night was poor player execution and poor coaching, completely intertwined.
Plus "a champion team beats a team of champions" probably still holds true...

IMO anyway, and very simplistic.

At the risk of sounding glib and just plain uninformed, genuine question. How is Hawthorn better than us??? Looking at the respective list profiles and the trajectories of where each team should really be out, it's puzzling. And 'puzzling' is the mildest adjective I could come up with.

Amazing what happens when everyone contributes, confidence is high and you have no passengers. That was the difference.

Not an ounce of being humble about your mob. Watching grown men making little kids cry with nasty comments leaving the game has made me hate your lot now, was more than happy to support the Hawks through this final series but tonight has left such a bad taste in my mouth with how you lot carry on.

I guess it was no different to my disabled missus and myself, both in our 60's being taunted and called fans of 'head-ducking c*nts' and wearing 'shit smeared jumpers' by a mob of 6 pissed up dogs 'fans' on the train from Jolimont to Flinders.

All in their 30's. All drunk. All aggressive. Glad they got off at Flinders.

Both clubs have sets of absolute dickheads mate.

Seems like yours were on the train.

As for the game - you had your chance in the last quarter - Bont kicks one then Naughton selfishly spoiled a certain second on the line. You had 2 more gilt edged chances to get the gap to under 3 goals which you didn't take, and then we settled and that was that.

Both sides have had good seasons - and both sides have absolute bell-ends amongst their fans, so don't try to make out that Hawthorn have a monopoly on idiots and your mob are saints please, as that simply isn't true.

Good luck for next season

I guess it was no different to my disabled missus and myself, both in our 60's being taunted and called fans of 'head-ducking c*nts' and wearing 'shit smeared jumpers' by a mob of 6 pissed up dogs 'fans' on the train from Jolimont to Flinders.

All in their 30's. All drunk. All aggressive. Glad they got off at Flinders.

Both clubs have sets of absolute dickheads mate.

Seems like yours were on the train.

As for the game - you had your chance in the last quarter - Bont kicks one then Naughton selfishly spoiled a certain second on the line. You had 2 more gilt edged chances to get the gap to under 3 goals which you didn't take, and then we settled and that was that.

Both sides have had good seasons - and both sides have absolute bell-ends amongst their fans, so don't try to make out that Hawthorn have a monopoly on idiots and your mob are saints please, as that simply isn't true.

Good luck for next season
If that happened it’s a disgrace.

Some GWS fans had some major gripes with fans’ behaviour at the 2016 prelim so we aren’t without dickheads ourselves for sure.

Stewart’s been bending teams over every week for the last 6 years.

Is that zero planning from all 17 coaches in those 132 games?

Yeah pretty much.

We saw throughout the middle of the year when teams were accountable for him that he really struggled to make the same impact. There is times that he dominates when he gets someone sent to him, Adelaide put Pedlar on him early in the year (awful matchup but nevertheless) and he took about 10 intercept marks but a lot of the time it significantly slows him down. When he roams as he wishes he just dominates and its why he is an AA every season.

Even after that middle period of struggling this season, they moved him into the centre bounce and then he just rolls back and roams free and everyone forgets to tag him again and surprise, surprise he was dominant in the last part of the season.

Yeah pretty much.

We saw throughout the middle of the year when teams were accountable for him that he really struggled to make the same impact. There is times that he dominates when he gets someone sent to him, Adelaide put Pedlar on him early in the year (awful matchup but nevertheless) and he took about 10 intercept marks but a lot of the time it significantly slows him down. When he roams as he wishes he just dominates and its why he is an AA every season.

Even after that middle period of struggling this season, they moved him into the centre bounce and then he just rolls back and roams free and everyone forgets to tag him again and surprise, surprise he was dominant in the last part of the season.

Where do you find the time to watch every cats game and follow how Stewart is played?

Where do you find the time to watch every cats game and follow how Stewart is played?
Well usually the time that you use to start arguments in autopsy threads, we use instead to watch neutral footy matches in the background in weekends at home.

And where do you find the time to watch every cats game to give your opinion on how Stewart plays?

At the risk of sounding glib and just plain uninformed, genuine question. How is Hawthorn better than us??? Looking at the respective list profiles and the trajectories of where each team should really be at, it's puzzling. And 'puzzling' is the mildest adjective I could come up with.
This is the question the club needs to be asking. But I doubt it will.

There have been several threads devoted to it over the last year or two ... and none of them are about Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back