Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well usually the time that you use to start arguments in autopsy threads, we use instead to watch neutral footy matches in the background in weekends at home.

And where do you find the time to watch every cats game to give your opinion on how Stewart plays?

My allocated argument hours are usually 9-5. Excluding overtime.

Plenty of time to watch footy.

If that happened it’s a disgrace.

Some GWS fans had some major gripes with fans’ behaviour at the 2016 prelim so we aren’t without dickheads ourselves for sure.

My son and I didn't wear Hawthorn colours to the ground last night due to our experience after the 2016 semi-final against dogs. Nothing too untowards, just lots of in-your-face shit giving from Dogs fans, but enough not to want to risk experiencing it again.

Fears seemed unfounded last night though. Zero problem with dogs fans both in and outside the ground, although hard to say how much our neutral garb impacted our experience this time around. As others have said all teams have shit fans, but happy to report that I didn't personally see any dogs fans that fitted that description last night.

At the risk of sounding glib and just plain uninformed, genuine question. How is Hawthorn better than us??? Looking at the respective list profiles and the trajectories of where each team should really be at, it's puzzling. And 'puzzling' is the mildest adjective I could come up with.
They've been playing as good if not better footy for 15 weeks. I think that matters more than reputation looking at lists or whatever.

Let’s beat up on the usual suspects. They are not why we lost. We were out-coached and out fought. Our boys collectively shat the bed.
Cherry picked stats. Doesn't mention the clangers by Williams or the lack of tackles by some other players.

McNeill took the best contested mark of the game, laid a tackle on 50 for a free kick. He put the ball onto Darcy's chest.

We offed Lachie Hunter but he ran his guts out on the wing.

Our tackling is woeful and we are also dumb on the tackle front. Countless occasions we go for the arms out grasping tackle and get fended off. Just tackle low rugby league style, give the free away and regroup for the free kick. That's how you kill momentum against you.

They've been playing as good if not better footy for 15 weeks. I think that matters more than reputation looking at lists or whatever.
That still fails to address the question.

You've simply restated WWB's starting point which is that they're now demonstrably better than us after they had a shocking start to the season. But how did that happen when most observers think our list is better on paper?

Agree on Gags, although we’re so slow as a team my guess is he plays most weeks as we need the pace.

West’s ceiling is so much higher than some being picked tonight. I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves in the not too distant future.
He had a broken jaw and didn’t set the world alight in his game in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I noticed at the game last night was how much presence Sam Darcy has and how special a player he is going to be.

It Looked like he was going to tear the game apart early on. Going to be a pleasure watching him in the rwb for years to come
Sadly he might spend far too much time as a ruck than a forward due to English failing in finals (and regular season games) repetitively.

Doesn't count for anything. It's a failed season. The only thing that counts is embarrassing ourselves on the big stage in the only game that matters.
people overvalue back half of season runs. you catch unmotivated and tired teams along the way. you need to look at the season as a whole. early wins when everyone is up and going are as good an indicator as recent form going into finals.
14 wins is ok, bringing below average pressure to a final in front of 100k at the G is not.

That still fails to address the question.

You've simply restated WWB's starting point which is that they're now demonstrably better than us after they had a shocking start to the season. But how did that happen when most observers think our list is better on paper?
Because they tried to win too and achieved it better than us for parts of this season and now. We're not entitled to victory. Success is relative. They played better and deserved to win?

Because they tried to win too and achieved it better than us for parts of this season and now. We're not entitled to victory. Success is relative. They played better and deserved to win?
Yikes. Debate over.

Ban booze being served at games.
It's watered down dog piss nowadays anyways.

I've attended somewhere north of 600 games, probably closer to 700, but hard to remember them all!

Anyway, I have had a drink at about 10 of those. A couple in the Long Room with a mate who's an MCC member in the 80s, and the rest in the days when I'd regularly be on the list of attendees at a top-20 company's MCG corporate box in the late 90s (Including the 1998 prelim. ☹)

And one game at VUWO.

I want to enjoy the footy, not worry about ducking out to buy beers, then trying to move along a row of people trying to avoid spillage back to my seat... and missing the play!

I'm no wowser (far from it for many years!), but alcohol and footy don't mix for me. Especially when I still see supporters of all clubs lubricate themselves to the point of turning into obnoxious ar5eholes.

The Hawks supporters who chose to hurl uninvited abuse my (and my kids') way last night appeared well lubricated. Yet there were many supporters of both teams drinking who didn't feel the need to abuse others.

So I'm not proposing a ban... but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

This is the obvious point.

A player having a good game doesn’t mean a lack of planning by the other side. Bailey Dale regularly runs riot from the backline and Bont regularly annihilates opposition midfields despite opposition planning.

If we’re getting smacked out of the middle it’s ultimately up to our (allegedly blue chip) midfielders to turn that around. Bont is supposed to be the best player in the game. The opposition has a plan for him every week and it usually doesn’t matter.

The coaches can’t run out there and instruct them in each individual contest. They can remind players what they’re meant to do or move them around but if it doesn’t work there’s not much they can do.

How about lobbying for timeouts? Tv could throw in some extra adds, we could fix our planning issues on the fly, and more bucks into the media coffers resulting in higher salaries at head office.

Stuff this home ground advantage crap - it’s all about the dollar.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have said it before and I will say it again. Football sides that play at Marvel are the most disadvantaged by the fixture and the home final structure. Only one side that plays at Marvel have won a premiership and the side they played on GF had only played the MCG a few times that year

I have said it before and I will say it again. Football sides that play at Marvel are the most disadvantaged by the fixture and the home final structure. Only one side that plays at Marvel have won a premiership and the side they played on GF had only played the MCG a few times that year
Year 7 geography. Inside 50's a lot bigger at the G than at Docklands. D'you think Bev might have worked that out, evidenced by starting Ugle-Hagan on the bench ? Recovering, slowley

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back