List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I tripping or do I remember Battle swinging forward on occasion? Would it be possible for he and Sic to cause a bit of confusion by rotating in-game? Just a thought. Ignore if that would be nonsense. This would of course be contingent on obtaining Barrass as well!

To be honest, at this point anything we get from Lewis would be an absolute bonus (IMO). I feel we need to PLAN life without and HOPE for the best.

Thanks, all, for the content in this thread. It's the only one I've been reading since the season ended. All the other threads trigger me too hard with the incredible inconsistency that Ginni playfully ribbing a mate is Satan's love child while Hinkley deserves great compassion and understanding as a helpless victim of his uncontrolled passions. I'm torn as to whether the people making that argument, particularly the adults in the media, suffer extreme cognitive dissonance and genuinely believe it, or are being intentionally obtuse to cynically drive clicks.

Anyways, thanks for this thread. It's the only one that is enjoyable at the moment.

Am I tripping or do I remember Battle swinging forward on occasion? Would it be possible for he and Sic to cause a bit of confusion by rotating in-game? Just a thought. Ignore if that would be nonsense. This would of course be contingent on obtaining Barrass as well!

To be honest, at this point anything we get from Lewis would be an absolute bonus (IMO). I feel we need to PLAN life without and HOPE for the best.
Battle kicked 2 goals against us in Round 9 after being named in the back pocket. I think Lyon swung him forward at one stage as it was low scoring match and they needed more scoring options.

His only other goal in 2024 was against West Coast in Round 19 however.

I'd like to see Butler given a chance now we are a very good side. His strengths would suit our style perfectly. Pre injury was putting in some very good games at Bowhill.
Maybe it’s just me but I didn’t see it with Butler but the club has to give him more time after the injury.

I love that Sam is wanting flexibility from his players, plus for them to play to their strengths. Every time D’Ambrosio kicked a goal I’d whoop! Same as when Sicily or Hardwick did cameo’s in the forward line. In-game player position movement is something we can have as a massive strength, and it will give us more avenues to victory. This is one of my favourite things to look forward too, as the players and coaches lean into this more next year.

Thanks, all, for the content in this thread. It's the only one I've been reading since the season ended. All the other threads trigger me too hard with the incredible inconsistency that Ginni playfully ribbing a mate is Satan's love child while Hinkley deserves great compassion and understanding as a helpless victim of his uncontrolled passions. I'm torn as to whether the people making that argument, particularly the adults in the media, suffer extreme cognitive dissonance and genuinely believe it, or are being intentionally obtuse to cynically drive clicks.

Anyways, thanks for this thread. It's the only one that is enjoyable at the moment.
100% just printed out my team list, already covered in crayon, and keep coming back here as I constantly reassess. Good shout.

I'd like to see Butler given a chance now we are a very good side. His strengths would suit our style perfectly. Pre injury was putting in some very good games at Bowhill.

Problem with Butler is he doesn't have the footy IQ to play as a small forward. Gets completely lost there at AFL level.

His best position IMO is as a high half forward/mid where he can use his pace and power but we currently have better options.

He won't be forward permanently he is just to valuable for us behind the ball. If he gets tagged he might be moved forward.
We played with frost, weddle, scrim and Sicily for most of season. Something has to change with barrass and battle coming in - yet all 6 best position is in backline (plus Blanck, serong and McCabe in reserve).

Am sure the coaches have a plan (as would have had to sell it to Barrass/battle) - but it’s not entirely obvious who moves where.

The Hardwick experiment up forward didn’t really last - he kicked a couple of bags but was ineffective in a lot - was a lot better down back. Swinging players forward and back is good in theory but hard in practice.

Problem with Butler is he doesn't have the footy IQ to play as a small forward. Gets completely lost there at AFL level.

His best position IMO is as a high half forward/mid where he can use his pace and power but we currently have better options.
Pretty sure he’s contracted so will get 12 months to prove himself.

I struggle to see him getting past our large group of small hffs - Bennetts also ahead of him.

I’d like to see him tried down back in a small defender role. Josh Morris for example looked far more assured down back (but had similar issues up forward to butler).

Butler has all athletic qualities and hardness to play on most forwards. And after Hardwick struggles on Rioli there may be a spot for another small defender.

We played with frost, weddle, scrim and Sicily for most of season. Something has to change with barrass and battle coming in - yet all 6 best position is in backline (plus Blanck, serong and McCabe in reserve).

Am sure the coaches have a plan (as would have had to sell it to Barrass/battle) - but it’s not entirely obvious who moves where.

The Hardwick experiment up forward didn’t really last - he kicked a couple of bags but was ineffective in a lot - was a lot better down back. Swinging players forward and back is good in theory but hard in practice.
They will all be flexible. All of them will move forward if need be depending on match ups and how they are playing. Its not a one size fits all its horses for courses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure he’s contracted so will get 12 months to prove himself.

I struggle to see him getting past our large group of small hffs - Bennetts also ahead of him.

I’d like to see him tried down back in a small defender role. Josh Morris for example looked far more assured down back (but had similar issues up forward to butler).

Butler has all athletic qualities and hardness to play on most forwards. And after Hardwick struggles on Rioli there may be a spot for another small defender.
He's not playing as a defender mate. He might be tried on the wing though

I can't see Butler in our top 22 next year nor on our list in 2026. Perhaps he even goes this year even though he is contracted. He might find an alternate suitor.

Unfortunately, he has not stepped up to be an AFL standard player. His injury really came at a bad time for him.

They will all be flexible. All of them will move forward if need be depending on match ups and how they are playing. Its not a one size fits all its horses for courses
More the point being a full time tall forward is hard enough. Being a part time forward / swingman is even harder. Maybe Sicily is good enough to do it - but very very few can.

More the point being a full time tall forward is hard enough. Being a part time forward / swingman is even harder. Maybe Sicily is good enough to do it - but very very few can.
Being able to drift forward and have an impact seems to be the way quite a few of our backmen have played lately including Weddle, Sic and Dimma. It works for us why would we stop doing it. Why wouldn't we add more versatility. There will be permanent forwards and there are current players in the team that are, but versatility allows us to throw players at the opposition in game throwing their plans out of kilter.

One thing I think we have learnt with Cooper Stephens is that it's perilous trading with Geelong.

I honestly struggle to recall any recent instances of another club getting a Geelong discard who then kicks on and becomes a player? Their player development is best in the business and if they can't get a player to be AFL standard it's doubtful we will.

Mind you Stephens was really just a steal knifes kind of deal but still a valuable lesson.

Always better to trade with the likes of Gold Coast and Essendon in the hopes of getting another Scrimshaw or Massimo.

$800k out for Wingard, $850k in for Battle, only a net hit of $50k or so to the cap.

Next year with Gunston & Bruest retiring there will be another $800k - $1m cleared for the youngsters we need to lock away.
Wingard isn't on anywhere near that. There was a release of the top 100 paid players in the league recently. Sicily and Amon were our only two players to feature. Amon the lowest of the two and well under $800k himself.

Haven’t heard any news yet but expecting this:

Gone -

Morrison - UFA
Stephens - delist
DGB - trade/delist
Philips - delist
O’Sullivan - delist
Bennetts - delist
Reeves - trade
Mitchell - trade
Wingard - retire
Serong - trade

Gone -

Morrison - UFA
Stephens - delist
DGB - trade/delist
Philips - delist
O’Sullivan - delist
Bennetts - delist
Reeves - trade
Mitchell - trade
Wingard - retire
Serong - trade
I would like to try and keep Serong, he looks like he could be decent. Mitchell as well has some good traits and he showed a bit last year.

Reeves would be handy to keep as a backup ruck as well but he will most likely be heading to WC as part of the Barrass deal I think

Morrison again I would like to keep but it all depends if he gets a better deal from another club (I reckon Norf would be keen on him).

Gone -

Morrison - UFA
Stephens - delist
DGB - trade/delist
Philips - delist
O’Sullivan - delist
Bennetts - delist
Reeves - trade
Mitchell - trade
Wingard - retire
Serong - trade
We are not getting rid of all our depth. We get any injuries and we are playing 18 year olds. 10 players leaving is way too many for where we are at

I would have thought of the uncontracted guys, Morrison, Bennetts and DGB are the most likely to get new contract offers in that order & priority.

I suspect only a few like Stephens will get their exit meeting outcomes publicised prior to the trade period. Others will likely have to wait to see if any of our contracted players are traded out to as to whether there is a spot for them, with some reshuffling between those on the senior and rookie lists to be expected also. Ramma and Blanck would have a good case to be elevated given their longer term contracts.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back