List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

If we bring in 2 players from trades/free agents then we have to move on 6 players just to have the compulsory 3 draft picks and that won’t even leave room for any new rookies.
But can’t we simply delist and rookie 2 players and that counts toward the 3 picks? Right now we have to move on 4 players to create 3 spots given 45 on the list. We also have to move out a rookie or promote one as we have 7 cat A. Stephens and philips the obvious 2. Two of DGB Chad Breust Gunston would make the 4. If any others like Morrison or Serong go then we are fine we shouldn’t be looking to make a lot of change now after significant upheaval.

Sickening that DGB can’t reach the level. What a waste of draft capital and opportunity. The more I look at Ward I wonder if he is going to follow the same path. It makes me really question the bottoming our philosophy. Even those top 10 picks are hit and miss.

But can’t we simply delist and rookie 2 players and that counts toward the 3 picks? Right now we have to move on 4 players to create 3 spots given 45 on the list. We also have to move out a rookie or promote one as we have 7 cat A. Stephens and philips the obvious 2. Two of DGB Chad Breust Gunston would make the 4. If any others like Morrison or Serong go then we are fine we shouldn’t be looking to make a lot of change now after significant upheaval.
Doubt we only want to add one player from this draft.

Sickening that DGB can’t reach the level. What a waste of draft capital and opportunity. The more I look at Ward I wonder if he is going to follow the same path. It makes me really question the bottoming our philosophy. Even those top 10 picks are hit and miss.
Ward isn't not going to make it at Hawthorn based on application and commitment

Couldn't say the same for DGB

Ward and DGB aren't in the same hemisphere in terms of being AFL players.
Surprised you'd make that observation of Ward, if he doesn't get a career with us I'm convinced he'll have a very good one with a different AFL Club.

Our rebuild happened around the time we kept our first rounder for once and picked Will Day who was predicted to go at 20 and we picked him at 13...I'm curious as to how players were recruited from then that have put us in the position we are at currently.

Drafted - Day, Weddle, Ward, McKenzie, C.MacDonald, Watson, Dear, S.Mitchell
Traded - Amon, Scrimshaw, D'Ambrosio, Meek, Chol, Ginnivan
MSD - Newcombe, Blanck

Yet to be seen if they make it
Drafted - McCabe, Hustwaite, O'Sullivan, Butler, B.MacDonald, Bennetts, Maginness, J.Serong, Ryan, DGB
Traded - Stephens
MSD - Tucker, Scaife, Ramsden
PSS - Phillips

Breust has signed. That's all l know.
No no no no no.

How do we go through the trade period now without the annual “trade Bruest” discussion or the discussion around him being offered a grandfather deal to help develop GC?

Thanks very much. 😜

No no no no no.

How do we go through the trade period now without the annual “trade Bruest” discussion or the discussion around him being offered a grandfather deal to help develop GC?

Thanks very much. 😜

I think you misunderstood.

Bruest has signed... with Gold Coast! We will be getting picks 7, 12, 20, FI, Noah Anderson, Mac Andrew and Ben King.
We may need to give up an F4 or F5. They are still haggling over that bit.

Do I need orange font for the sarcasm? As if we would trade Bruest for that?

Our rebuild happened around the time we kept our first rounder for once and picked Will Day who was predicted to go at 20 and we picked him at 13...I'm curious as to how players were recruited from then that have put us in the position we are at currently.

Drafted - Day, Weddle, Ward, McKenzie, C.MacDonald, Watson, Dear, S.Mitchell
Traded - Amon, Scrimshaw, D'Ambrosio, Meek, Chol, Ginnivan
MSD - Newcombe, Blanck

Yet to be seen if they make it
Drafted - McCabe, Hustwaite, O'Sullivan, Butler, B.MacDonald, Bennetts, Maginness, J.Serong, Ryan, DGB
Traded - Stephens
MSD - Tucker, Scaife, Ramsden
PSS - Phillips

One thing is clear. We have drafted and traded very well recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DGB draft year was heavily impacted by COVID. He killed it playing in WAFL as a 17 year old. Some clubs like PA had him rated at #1 - We were just unlucky - was a no brainer selection

Wards draft year (2021) was destroyed by the usual late season meaningless surge driven by Clarko. Cost us Callahan and Mac Andrew which really stings. Ward was the "safe bet??" as quoted by the club. In hind sight Amiss at the next pick was best available. It happens

DGB draft year was heavily impacted by COVID. He killed it playing in WAFL as a 17 year old. Some clubs like PA had him rated at #1 - We were just unlucky - was a no brainer selection

Wards draft year (2021) was destroyed by the usual late season meaningless surge driven by Clarko. Cost us Callahan and Mac Andrew which really stings. Ward was the "safe bet??" as quoted by the club. In hind sight Amiss at the next pick was best available. It happens

Essendon had 3 first round selections in 2020, which resulted in Zach Reid who has played about 3 games, Archie Perkins who is in the VFL and doesn't have a standout position, and Nik Cox who also doesn't have a position and gets concussed by a graze to his shoulder.

I don't really have any issues with our draft that season, because it's turned out pretty poorly for most sides. Even Braedon Campbell, who we bid on at pick 6, hasn't cemented his place in that Sydney side after 4 full seasons.

Josh Ward was also a total no-brainer at the time. Went exactly where he was projected to, and at the time the only young midfielders we had coming through were Finn Maginness and a completely speculative bull from Poowong.

Worpel was close to being a consistent feature at Box Hill and we didn't know the ceiling Connor Nash had. It would have been negligent to not take the best available midfielder at pick 7 in 2021.

I can’t agree with you when you say meaningless. I think winning culture beats any other culture.
The rest I do agree

Firstly, really happy that Harry's been named to play his 100th this weekend. He deserves it.
Of the remaining players who come out of contract Harry is top of my list to get re-signed. Why? Simply because he's invaluable back-up and a worthy starting-22.

I'm assuming Gunners & Breust will get delisted and rookied - whichever way they do it I can't see us turfing either. Breust only needs a handful more for 300 (and there's hardly been a more deserving player who was initially picked as a rookie) and Gunners at worst is a great forward-line mentor.

The rest? Well there's not much to say. DGB, Stephens almost certainly gone. Phillips too if we get any of Barrass or Battle.
Honestly am 50/50 on Wingard, no idea what the club will do but I think he may pull the pin himself.
Then Tucker & JOS probably wont survive either. JOS mostly not, Tucker may depending on whether the rumour of us having targeted CatB ruck is true (apart from reading it here I've also heard it myself).

Thankfully Meek is already signed on for 2025.
Can I Have Some More Oliver Twist GIF

'Sam Durham has becomes this sneaky drafts poster boy'.

checks notes

Ah yes, written by Essendon nuffie Cal Twomey 🤦‍♂️

Also, the only accolade he quoted for Jai was coming 2nd last year in the B&F.
Nothing about beating Daicos for Coaches Association young player of the year.
Or his top 20 finish in both the Coaches award and Brownlow last season.

'Sam Durham has becomes this sneaky drafts poster boy'.

checks notes

Ah yes, written by Essendon nuffie Cal Twomey 🤦‍♂️

Also, the only accolade he quoted for Jai was coming 2nd last year in the B&F.
Nothing about beating Daicos for Coaches Association young player of the year.
Or his top 20 finish in both the Coaches award and Brownlow last season.
Or making the AA squad last year.

An attempt at next years best 22;

Dear Chol Wiz

Ginni Weddle Moore

Mass Worpel Amon

Hardwick Sicily Scrim

Battle Barrass Impey

Meek Newcombe Day Nash

CJ Mackenzie MacDonald Finn/Ward/Morrison (if he is still there)/Frost.

Emergency Finn/Ward/Morrison/Frost/HH/Gunston/Breust

Did I miss anyone?

Thoughts?

I like that selection is someone else’s job, it’s getting difficult and above my pay grade.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back