Remove this Banner Ad

An attempt at next years best 22;

Dear Chol Wiz

Ginni Weddle Moore

Mass Worpel Amon

Hardwick Sicily Scrim

Battle Barrass Impey

Meek Newcombe Day Nash

CJ Mackenzie MacDonald Finn/Ward/Morrison (if he is still there)/Frost.

Emergency Finn/Ward/Morrison/Frost/HH/Gunston/Breust

Did I miss anyone?

Thoughts?

I like that selection is someone else’s job, it’s getting difficult and above my pay grade.

I like it.
The only thing I'd prefer is a little more height on one of my wingmen to offer better marking......might swap CJ or Mackenzie in for Amon who goes to the bench.
Gosh, nice problems to have.

I like it.
The only thing I'd prefer is a little more height on one of my wingmen to offer better marking......might swap CJ or Mackenzie in for Amon who goes to the bench.
Gosh, nice problems to have.
Yeah, I thought the backline may be a little too tall too, maybe with Sicily being so free in this line up it wouldn’t be beyond him and Amon/Mass possibly rotating around there or something.

I think also the amount of positions our players are capable of playing now we could almost shuffle the field around with some classic mix and match.

Who knows anymore, ha ha.

With half of our list finish up for the year, here is my take on players not likely to feature in our finals camapign.
Lewis - Will be ever get a good run at it?
Reeves - Meek has left him the the dust. Was OK at Box Hill without dominating.
Wingard - sad end to a great early career. Minimal onfield contribution at Box Hill. Hang them up Chad.
Stephens - hasn’t shown nearly enough.
DGB - has gone backwards fast. Poor conditioning and ill discipline will be the reason he will be delisted, not the fact that we are getting Battle and Barrass.
Ryan - showed some good signs at BH, but dropped away towards the end of the season. Has promise.
McCabe - really, really raw. Has pace for his height. Needs a couple of pre-seasons before he will be able to impact at AFL level.
Serong - has been Box Hill’s best. Plays like Sicily does at AFL level. If we were still a developing team, you would give him an extended run at AFL level, but with Battle and Barrass coming, he won’t get that opportunity at Hawthorn.
Butler - wasn’t showing much improvement pre-injury. Too slow and lacks the intensity to be part of our forward line.
Blanck - who would have though that out first choice tall back a would be pushed so far down the order. Will have to make a stunning comeback at VFL level to force his way back into out team.
Phillips - has had better season at VFL level prior to coming over. Slow and not physical enough
Ramsden - has been working on his ruck craft at BH. When drafted I thought he would make a great forward/ruck (Hale style), but it appears he is now seen as a backup ruckman. Promising,
Scaife - looks imposing at VFL due to his size. Has presence. A long but unreliable kick. Need to see more.
Mitchell - had some stand out VFL games but a few ordinary ones. Great pace, but not sure where he fits in.
Bennetts - I didn’t see enough of him.
McDonald - beside pace, I don’t see many AFL traits
o’Sullivan
Husthwaite - played like Pendles. He is slow but has time, space, great hands.
Tucker - we are trying to turn hi into a forward. Was making s,ow but steady progress. Interesting that he was the only listed player to not get a game at BH yesterday. He would be nervous.

List management decisions (on the basis that we we delist eight):
Delist
Wingard
DGB
Phillips
Stephens

Those four are easy. Then is gets hard.
We can’t play all of Reeves, Tucker, Ramsden and Uhr-Henry in the same VFL team. Tucker probably goes unless Reeves is traded.
Butler has a contract, so Bennetts and O’Sullivan likely gone.
Morrison is a free agent, but if he stays Bruest may need a tap on the shoulder.
I love Serong and he is contracted but may ask to be traded. Could be part of the Barrass deal and join his brother in Perth.

Difficult decisions ahead.

With half of our list finish up for the year, here is my take on players not likely to feature in our finals camapign.
Wingard - sad end to a great early career. Minimal onfield contribution at Box Hill. Hang them up Chad.
DGB - has gone backwards fast. Poor conditioning and ill discipline will be the reason he will be delisted, not the fact that we are getting Battle and Barrass.
Ryan - showed some good signs at BH, but dropped away towards the end of the season. Has promise.
McCabe - really, really raw. Has pace for his height. Needs a couple of pre-seasons before he will be able to impact at AFL level.
Serong - has been Box Hill’s best. Plays like Sicily does at AFL level. If we were still a developing team, you would give him an extended run at AFL level, but with Battle and Barrass coming, he won’t get that opportunity at Hawthorn.
Butler - wasn’t showing much improvement pre-injury. Too slow and lacks the intensity to be part of our forward line.
Blanck - who would have though that out first choice tall back a would be pushed so far down the order. Will have to make a stunning comeback at VFL level to force his way back into out team.
Phillips - has had better season at VFL level prior to coming over. Slow and not physical enough
Ramsden - has been working on his ruck craft at BH. When drafted I thought he would make a great forward/ruck (Hale style), but it appears he is now seen as a backup ruckman. Promising,
Scaife - looks imposing at VFL due to his size. Has presence. A long but unreliable kick. Need to see more.
Mitchell - had some stand out VFL games but a few ordinary ones. Great pace, but not sure where he fits in.
o’Sullivan
Tucker - we are trying to turn hi into a forward. Was making s,ow but steady progress. Interesting that he was the only listed player to not get a game at BH yesterday. He would be nervous.

Delist
Wingard
DGB
Phillips
Stephens

We can’t play all of Reeves, Tucker, Ramsden and Uhr-Henry in the same VFL team. Tucker probably goes unless Reeves is traded.
Morrison is a free agent, but if he stays Bruest may need a tap on the shoulder.
I love Serong and he is contracted but may ask to be traded. Could be part of the Barrass deal and join his brother in Perth.

Love the write up but Butler isn’t slow. I agree with the rest, but also look at who we can re rookie etc, it’s an interesting discussion.

o’Sullivan

Delist
Wingard
DGB
Phillips
Stephens

Good write up. We don’t have much depth looking at that. Serong has to move on for himself to Norf or St Kilda or as you say Eagles. I take your point re rucks but I really like tucker and why take a project ruck then delist 18 months later. I think he’s will be good in 3 years hoping ramsden ready as #2 and reeves traded. I’m not fussed with Ryan his kicking isn’t good enough. McCabe as you say very raw and loads to learn made some really basic mistakes yesterday.
We need to clear those 4 just to free up 1 spot on the list so at least 2 more to go. I was bullish on JOS but not anymore does nice things but a long way behind our shall forwards. Bennetts stays as Cat B. 2 of reeves Morrison Serong is enough.

There’s only 10 out of contract players
...and something like 7 spots needed.

If we win next week, I expect Breust will call time. If Dogs get up, he'll go around again to hit 300. I don't think we'd delist him on 299.
Wingard will retire.
Reeves - good depth for us (Ramsden miles away from AFL ruck if Meek injured). Is that enough for Ned? He may request a trade.
Morrison - I'm very happy if he stays, great depth option. Expect he wants more though and will be UFA'd or traded for chips to his preferred destination. If not interset a DFA/Rookie situation?
Phillips - Allegedly already committed to him for 2025. Does MSD make him a rookie now? If not, expect he would be a delist/re-rookie option
Blanck - under contract (and injured) - rehab will be important but he's safe for 2025.
Stephens gone.
Grainger-Barras - There's a footballer there, if only he could get fit he'd be a chance. If no trade interest, Delist/re-rookie and get him fit? If we lose as DFA unlucky but oh well.
Mitchell - Expect more but safe for 2025.
Butler - Injury saves him. Rehab in 2025.
Serong - WAY too good for VFL. Hope we can keep him, but expect he will want out. Won't get anywhere near his value in a trade due to him being stuck at VFL.
Ramsden - still a long way from being competitive in the ruck, hasn't shown much as a KPF either. Hopefully next year will show some performances to reward the faith we've put in his athletic profile.
Hustwaite - Get on the move son! Easily one of our best ball-handlers, but constantly flat-footed at the ruck-contest. Needs to spend his off-season getting super-fit and finding a yard.
B.MacDonald - I still don't see any AFL trait other than speed. Not worried either way
Bennetts - Cat B, has to be promoted to rookie list with JUH coming on. Don't think he's good enough, but happy to support the coaches either way.
Tucker - Showing rapid improvement, but coming from a long, long way back. Want to see him after another pre-season.
Skaife - Seems a bit lost when his game should be simple (lead, mark, kick it 65). Hopeful for his future physical growth, will be given time to develop.
O'Sullivan - injury hampered through his time so far, another that could go either way. Not a great position when list spots are in high demand.

So I've got Wingard and Stephens definitely out, Breust only if 300 (and his decision), Morrison/Reeves only if they want out. That opens up 2-5 spaces, leaving another 2-5 to come from:

Phillips, DGB, BMacDonald, Bennetts, Tucker, O'Sullivan - they all might need to go?

DGB draft year was heavily impacted by COVID. He killed it playing in WAFL as a 17 year old. Some clubs like PA had him rated at #1 - We were just unlucky - was a no brainer selection.
Insane that people are still running with this. It's up there with "Hawthorn have rorted Free Agency*".

*although, we might finally be doing so, this off-season!

Sickening that DGB can’t reach the level. What a waste of draft capital and opportunity. The more I look at Ward I wonder if he is going to follow the same path. It makes me really question the bottoming our philosophy. Even those top 10 picks are hit and miss.
Ward has played some great AFL games and has shown this year to be consistently very good at VFL level.

Not sure what level he'll get to but I'm confident that he'll have a decent AFL career.

ward i’m confident will be at worst a solid afl player

DGB i reckon is tied to serong and phillips. If serong seeks opportunity elsewhere and we decide phillips is done, then maybe denver survives, just.

While we have battle and barrass, there must be uncertainty around blancks recovery timeframe and mccabe is very raw. that might be enough to get denver another year.

Similarly if reeves leaves, tucker probably survives.

DGB i reckon is tied to serong and phillips. If serong seeks opportunity elsewhere and we decide phillips is done, then maybe denver survives, just.

While we have battle and barrass, there must be uncertainty around blancks recovery timeframe and mccabe is very raw. that might be enough to get denver another year.

We also have McCabe and Ryan.
There's depth everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I would have thought there’s no reason to upgrade him off the cat B list unless we have somebody else beside Jaime Uhr-Henry to bring in. List spots are tighter than recent memory if Gunner and Punky both stay on

Even though we have plenty of depth in his position, Bennetts has been playing well enough to deserve another year, at least more so than say O’Sullivan or even Wingard as his VFL peers

IMO, Stephens, Phillips, Wingard, and DGB seem the most likely to be moved on.

Others that could come into consideration (depending on list spots/player movement) are Tucker, O'Sullivan, and Bailey Macdonald.

Reeves, Serong, Morrison, and Mitchell could potentially seek opportunities elsewhere.

So I expect 6-7 of the names listed above won't be at Hawthorn next season.

Wasn’t there a report a month or so ago that he hasn’t even been able to begin running again due to infections or complications with his ACL graft?

Seems like 2025 is already a potential write-off for him too.

Bailey McDonald is signed until the end of 2026 - he won't be departing

Wingard - gone

Stephens - gone

DGB - gone

Morrison - probably goes to north for greater opportunity / cash

Gunston/Breust - very tough calls - for the balance of the list I would almost prefer if we traded these guys for peanuts to north Melbourne or something so they can get another year or two. Not sure if there'd be interested in going.

Bennett's - stays I think, 2 year deal is that right?

O'Sullivan - probably gone?

Other including Hustwaite, Ward, Reeves, agree it wouldn't shock to see some of these guys potentially ask for a trade.

If Reeves stays, Tucker may go too.

So by my count that's already at

OUT: wingard (Ret), stephens (delist), DGB (delist), Morrison (FA) O'sullivan (delist)
MAYBE OUT: Reeves/Tucker (one of) Breust (?), Gunston (?) Hustwaite (asks to be traded?)

So theres 5 + possibly up to 4 more, although realistically we're probably looking at more like 7 on the way out? Going to be some interesting calls. Perhaps we lose a few players wrapped up in a Barrass trade?

Bailey McDonald is signed until the end of 2026 - he won't be departing

Wingard - gone

Stephens - gone

DGB - gone

Morrison - probably goes to north for greater opportunity / cash

Gunston/Breust - very tough calls - for the balance of the list I would almost prefer if we traded these guys for peanuts to north Melbourne or something so they can get another year or two. Not sure if there'd be interested in going.

Bennett's - stays I think, 2 year deal is that right?

O'Sullivan - probably gone?

Other including Hustwaite, Ward, Reeves, agree it wouldn't shock to see some of these guys potentially ask for a trade.

If Reeves stays, Tucker may go too.

So by my count that's already at

OUT: wingard (Ret), stephens (delist), DGB (delist), Morrison (FA) O'sullivan (delist)
MAYBE OUT: Reeves/Tucker (one of) Breust (?), Gunston (?) Hustwaite (asks to be traded?)

So theres 5 + possibly up to 4 more, although realistically we're probably looking at more like 7 on the way out? Going to be some interesting calls. Perhaps we lose a few players wrapped up in a Barrass trade?

Gunston and Breust have both recently signed 1 year deals so they are going nowhere.

...and something like 7 spots needed.

If we win next week, I expect Breust will call time. If Dogs get up, he'll go around again to hit 300. I don't think we'd delist him on 299.
Wingard will retire.
Reeves - good depth for us (Ramsden miles away from AFL ruck if Meek injured). Is that enough for Ned? He may request a trade.
Morrison - I'm very happy if he stays, great depth option. Expect he wants more though and will be UFA'd or traded for chips to his preferred destination. If not interset a DFA/Rookie situation?
Phillips - Allegedly already committed to him for 2025. Does MSD make him a rookie now? If not, expect he would be a delist/re-rookie option
Blanck - under contract (and injured) - rehab will be important but he's safe for 2025.
Stephens gone.
Grainger-Barras - There's a footballer there, if only he could get fit he'd be a chance. If no trade interest, Delist/re-rookie and get him fit? If we lose as DFA unlucky but oh well.
Mitchell - Expect more but safe for 2025.
Butler - Injury saves him. Rehab in 2025.
Serong - WAY too good for VFL. Hope we can keep him, but expect he will want out. Won't get anywhere near his value in a trade due to him being stuck at VFL.
Ramsden - still a long way from being competitive in the ruck, hasn't shown much as a KPF either. Hopefully next year will show some performances to reward the faith we've put in his athletic profile.
Hustwaite - Get on the move son! Easily one of our best ball-handlers, but constantly flat-footed at the ruck-contest. Needs to spend his off-season getting super-fit and finding a yard.
B.MacDonald - I still don't see any AFL trait other than speed. Not worried either way
Bennetts - Cat B, has to be promoted to rookie list with JUH coming on. Don't think he's good enough, but happy to support the coaches either way.
Tucker - Showing rapid improvement, but coming from a long, long way back. Want to see him after another pre-season.
Skaife - Seems a bit lost when his game should be simple (lead, mark, kick it 65). Hopeful for his future physical growth, will be given time to develop.
O'Sullivan - injury hampered through his time so far, another that could go either way. Not a great position when list spots are in high demand.

So I've got Wingard and Stephens definitely out, Breust only if 300 (and his decision), Morrison/Reeves only if they want out. That opens up 2-5 spaces, leaving another 2-5 to come from:

Phillips, DGB, BMacDonald, Bennetts, Tucker, O'Sullivan - they all might need to go?
What about Bennetts don't you think is good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back