List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I would presume it would be a SLAP repair which would be 12 weeks? A physio might know more.
A SLAP repair is a different part of the labrum (the meniscus of the shoulder). It's a different issue and doesn't necessarily cause instability. Can happen with a dislocation too though.

He'll certainly have a bankart or some variation of that procedure as that's for instability.

He might need both I'm unaware of the extent of his trauma. It shouldn't change his prognosis too much though.

I'm a sports physio who no longer works in sports 😊

Can we get up high enough in the draft to take Jobe Shanahan. Looks a very good Key Forward that Twomey has at around #20. Also, looks a type that would play senior football pretty quickly.

?

Anyone have word on who we are looking closely at?

I don't think it will be as complicated as many are making it out to be.

Delist:
DGB
Stephens
Phillips
Bennetts or O'Sullivan

Trade/free agent:
Reeves

Retire:
Wingard

Acquisitions:
Battle
Barrass
Cody Anderson (inside mid through NGA)

Draft requirements:
Outside mid
Ruckman back-up?
General forward

If that is the extent of it Blackhawk42, then we have not enough draft spots as only DGB, Reeves and Wingard are senior listed (+JO'S makes four) and we have two incoming players in Battle & Barras that would take those free spots. Stephens and Phillips basically only cancel out the two extra rookie SSP/MSD picked spots from Easy's original pickup and Scaife, and don't free up National Draft pick spots.

Historically I thought every club needed to take 3 senior national draft picks (including rookie upgrades)

Hence further cuts or shuffling onto the rookie list are going to be needed.

If that is the extent of it Blackhawk42, then we have not enough draft spots as only DGB, Reeves and Wingard are senior listed (+JO'S makes four) and we have two incoming players in Battle & Barras that would take those free spots. Stephens and Phillips basically only cancel out the two extra rookie SSP/MSD picked spots from Easy's original pickup and Scaife, and don't free up National Draft pick spots.

Historically I thought every club needed to take 3 senior national draft picks (including rookie upgrades)

Correct.. you need to use 3 picks at the national draft including rookie upgrades.. We currently have 37 on the senior list with a max of 38 (but then only 4 CAT A rookies).. 37 less Wingard, JOS, DGB & 1 more with Battle & Barrass coming in means we hit that 38 max whilst making 3 picks at the draft (including rookie upgrades)

$800k out for Wingard, $850k in for Battle, only a net hit of $50k or so to the cap.

Next year with Gunston & Bruest retiring there will be another $800k - $1m cleared for the youngsters we need to lock away.
Battle will be getting significantly more than this in year 1 of his contract from what I’ve been told (info from within St Kilda inner circle). Wouldn’t surprise me if he is our highest paid player next year.

I’m assuming it drops in later years.

Correct.. you need to use 3 picks at the national draft including rookie upgrades.. We currently have 37 on the senior list with a max of 38 (but then only 4 CAT A rookies).. 37 less Wingard, JOS, DGB & 1 more with Battle & Barrass coming in means we hit that 38 max whilst making 3 picks at the draft (including rookie upgrades)
Hence, there will be a number of cuts.

There is always the possibility of extra movement. Could a senior listed player be moved to the rookie list to create that extra list space as well perhaps?

Finn Callaghan for 2x first rounders next year and LDU as a free agent + a fully fit Mitch Lewis and that's rebuild complete.

Should be enough firepower across all lines to get us a few flags in a 5 year window.

There is always the possibility of extra movement. Could a senior listed player be moved to the rookie list to create that extra list space as well perhaps?
Exactly my suspicions. Bruest, Gunston or even a contracted youngster like Butler or Bmac will find themselves on the rookie list.

Finn Callaghan for 2x first rounders next year and LDU as a free agent + a fully fit Mitch Lewis and that's rebuild complete.

Should be enough firepower across all lines to get us a few flags in a 5 year window.
Callaghan is the (realistic) dream for next year. I remember seeing a few rumour posts maybe a month ago that he was homesick.

Need Cmac in his ear.

Most intriguing player on our list next year for me is Max Ramsden.

There are obviously the rumours of Reeves being moved on, so that's one less big man to compete with.

Some were VERY high on early on and personally I wasn't completely convinced. Just felt like an athlete with the ability to occasionally bob up for a good moment.

I was at Gather Round against Collingwood and thought he actually played a solid game rotating between ruck and forward.
Kicked a goal after playing in front like a forward should.
Pushed back into defensive 50 to other a relief marking option.
And covered the ground really well.

I definitely saw the fundamentals of a serviceable footballer, with the athletic gifts to hopefully become better than that.

From there however, it just didn't happen for him.

Does he improve after another pre-season?
Does the club still believe in him?

Huge 2025 coming up for him one way or another.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most intriguing player on our list next for me is Max Ramsden.

There are obviously the rumours of Reeves being moved on, so that's one less big man to compete with.

Some were VERY high on early on and personally I wasn't completely convinced. Just felt like an athlete with the ability to occasionally bob up for a good moment.

I was at the Gather Round game against Adelaide and thought he actually played a solid game rotating between ruck and forward.
Kicked a goal after playing in front like a forward should.
Pushed back into defensive 50 to other a relief marking option.
And covered the ground really well.

I definitely saw the fundamentals of a serviceable footballer, with the athletic gifts to hopefully become better than that.

From there however, it just didn't happen for him.

Does he improve after another pre-season?
Does the club still believe in him?

Huge 2025 coming up for him one way or another.
Have to agree. Was seriously hyped by the Box Hill watchers for 2 years but I he struggled at the senior level with limited opportunities though. I’m not getting the vibe that he’s going to breakout, though I hope he does.

Have to agree. Was seriously hyped by the Box Hill watchers for 2 years but I he struggled at the senior level with limited opportunities though. I’m not getting the vibe that he’s going to breakout, though I hope he does.
We have to remember how raw he was and in some ways still is and how long most players at that height and lankiness take. He’s got at least 2 more seasons before you make that call there’s too much potential and no rush.

I am starting to hope Weddle becomes our third forward playing high and motoring back with or without the ball to get through or behind the defence with wizard. Moore ginnivan Watson with Lewis Dear Weddle and Chol/Ramsden as 7th and backup ruck looks formidable especially with more time together given last years upheaval. But then I also want him as our 4th defender. How’s that cloning tech coming along?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back