List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor Sugar. Just never got a fair run.

He was looking so good in the preseason he arrived. Was almost a certainty to be in our round 1 squad if it wasn't for getting wiped out.

Thanks for everything Sugar and Clay.

Most intriguing player on our list next year for me is Max Ramsden.

There are obviously the rumours of Reeves being moved on, so that's one less big man to compete with.

Some were VERY high on early on and personally I wasn't completely convinced. Just felt like an athlete with the ability to occasionally bob up for a good moment.

I was at Gather Round against Collingwood and thought he actually played a solid game rotating between ruck and forward.
Kicked a goal after playing in front like a forward should.
Pushed back into defensive 50 to other a relief marking option.
And covered the ground really well.

I definitely saw the fundamentals of a serviceable footballer, with the athletic gifts to hopefully become better than that.

From there however, it just didn't happen for him.

Does he improve after another pre-season?
Does the club still believe in him?

Huge 2025 coming up for him one way or another.
Rammas best games at Box Hill were as a number 1 ruck. I know there has been a lot of talk and he's said in interviews that he's training to be a forward first and relief ruck, but there's no denying he's better when mostly rucking.

And how much of Mitchell's wage did we pay for him to help Collingwood win the flag. Costly however you want to spin it.
Less then it would've cost to stay on our list which will help us land Battle ect going forward. Who cares if it won Collingwood a flag, it didn't cost us anything.

They really got that Stephens trade wrong, paid a lot for him as well.

We paid diddly squat for him.

He was steak knives in a deal where we received two third round selections for Mitchell because we wanted him off the list.

Took a punt on a highly rated 21 year old who had injury issues. No problems with it whatsoever, and a shame that the injuries robbed Coop of his explosiveness.

And how much of Mitchell's wage did we pay for him to help Collingwood win the flag. Costly however you want to spin it.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that the 2 picks that we got in that trade were used to trade up to get Hustwaite. If he ends up panning out then the trade would’ve been worth it.

Are you kidding me? Did you even watch the season that just happened? That doesn’t happen with Mitchell on our list.
Yep. You have to consider things like by shipping off Mitchell to the Pies it allowed Worps to become the player that he is now. We all can remember how terrible he looked alongside Mitchell.

I for don’t miss those helicopter kicks from Mitchell one little bit. The trade was the right move as it allowed others to step to the fore.

It was an incredible shame that Cooper Stephens couldn’t get a solid run at it in his time at Hawthorn. Hamstring, calves, concussions, Achilles issue all robbed him of the opportunity to get consistent game time at Box Hill to press his case.

Was incredibly close last year to making a debut towards the end of the year before he had a concussion late in the season.

He worked incredibly hard around the club to try and get his body right. While on his rehab from his Achilles issue, he was walking the stairs of the grandstand at Bunjil Bagora to get himself back ready to play. He was as diligent as they came to rehab and it is a real shame that his body let him down.

I can only imagine how difficult at the age of 23 it would be to know that your AFL dream has come to an end after all the hard work he put in.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. You have to consider things like by shipping off Mitchell to the Pies it allowed Worps to become the player that he is now. We all can remember how terrible he looked alongside Mitchell.

I for don’t miss those helicopter kicks from Mitchell one little bit. The trade was the right move as it allowed others to step to the fore.

Amazing the number of recent Brownlow medalists with iffy kicking skills

Hardly costly, we had the space, we weren’t contending and they didn’t beat us last year. Our midfield improved because there was room for the young guys to develop, and didn’t that pay off this year.

We have to remember how raw he was and in some ways still is and how long most players at that height and lankiness take. He’s got at least 2 more seasons before you make that call there’s too much potential and no rush.
Ramma at this stage is stuck between two positions. He’s not big enough for ruck at afl given change in ruck rules favors huge units like Meek (Ramma was likely more an English type who can run all day - but rules worked against this type).

Up forward he’s just not mobile enough to be a kpf at afl. He’s still got a good tank but appears to have lost speed/agility as he’s bulked up. He can launch at ball but isn’t an elite contested mark.

It’s hard to see him pushing past Meek or Chol.

I’m a little bit confused by the Tucker delisting. Why did we bother picking him up if we never intended on giving him the time he needed to develop?

The club has been very clear since the day we drafted him that he’s a long term prospect, we’ve dumped him in the forward pocket as 3rd choice ruck since then and now cut him.

Maybe this JUH bloke is better already?

I'd think we would have kept Tucker if we had lots of spots, but we don't. It's a tighter list position than we've been in many years particularly for senior listed uncontracted players.

Another thought could be he was picked up as more a Reeves-type ruck and the new ruck rules and Meek's emergence as a better fit for them, have pushed down our expectations of what Tucks could have done at AFL level.

I’m a little bit confused by the Tucker delisting. Why did we bother picking him up if we never intended on giving him the time he needed to develop?

The club has been very clear since the day we drafted him that he’s a long term prospect, we’ve dumped him in the forward pocket as 3rd choice ruck since then and now cut him.

Maybe this JUH bloke is better already?
A long-term prospect doesn't mean that we're blindly committing to keeping them on the list developing for 3-4 years and then hoping after all that time they might be ready.

It means the player isn't expected to be AFL capable until they've developed certain physical attributes or playing abilities which could take a while. However, that development is tracked with a variety of shorter-term development goals that would be continuously evaluated.

It's probably just that his development in certain areas hasn't been enough to give the club faith that he can eventually get there. It's possible he could have eventually made it with enough time, but you only have so much room on your list and resources available to develop these types of prospects.

I for don’t miss those helicopter kicks from Mitchell one little bit.

For me it wasn't the helicopter kicks - it was him receiving the handball on or around our defensive 50m line, seeing trouble coming so just immediately handpassing back to the player under pressure who would then inevitable get pinged for holding or have to hurriedly try and dispose of it and turn it over. That and the turning it over and then jogging to chase the opposition player.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back