List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

2026 is the year we make a play for quality forwards. Reckon it's working well as is for the moment.
Am certain we wouldn't have made the finals this year without the experience and class of Gunston and Breust. Though can't rely on either week in week out, both were huge in important games, whether starring with 3-4 goals or kicking clutch goals at the death. Can't see any reason why both can't keep doing the same next year.

2026 is the year we make a play for quality forwards. Reckon it's working well as is for the moment.
Am certain we wouldn't have made the finals this year without the experience and class of Gunston and Breust. Though can't rely on either week in week out, both were huge in important games, whether starring with 3-4 goals or kicking clutch goals at the death. Can't see any reason why both can't keep doing the same next year.
True but neither fired a shot in the finals. If they are now a step too slow for the most important games then we are still going to be up against it next year even if they help us make the eight. Of course Mitch L might come good but if not, we need to find some marking potency up front somehow. Hard to expect a skinny 19 year old to be our go-to guy in a prelim or granny if we got there.

True but neither fired a shot in the finals. If they are now a step too slow for the most important games then we are still going to be up against it next year even if they help us make the eight. Of course Mitch L might come good but if not, we need to find some marking potency up front somehow. Hard to expect a skinny 19 year old to be our go-to guy in a prelim or granny if we got there.
It's an unfair comparison but imagine across those two finals that instead of kicking to Chol across half forward we had been kicking to Hogan instead.

Instead of Chol being outmarked 70% of the time Hogan would have flipped the percentage and he'd be the one outpointing the oppositions best defender in the one on ones. Simply put wed probably be in the GF this weekend.

Again it's an unfair comparison as Chol is more a third forward / relief ruck but we really need some kind of strong contested marking target down forward (I'm assuming Sic will play this role a lot until Lewis is back).

So best 23 assuming bench 5 round 1 without Lewis
Hardwick Barrass Scrimshaw
Impey Battle Sicily
Weddle Newk Massimo
Moore Chol CMac
Watson Dear Ginnivan
Meek Day Worpel
Nash Mackenzie Frost Amon Maginness
Emergencies from:
Ward Morrison CJ Gunston Breust Serong Mitchell
Feels like another tall or third forward is about the only gal accepting the second ruck is filled with Chol Weddle Nash as chop outs. Actually keen to see Chol do more rucking next year especially early to get him involved. Again feel like that requires 1 extra tall forward to release him.
I like Chol in the ruck, he's got a prodigious leap on him and he is unorthodox which is a good point of difference to Meek.

I reckon Sic is the one who goes forward to free Chol up, we have the coverage for him down back now with Barrass and Battle.

F Dear Sicily Watson
HF Moore Lewis MacDonald
C Weddle Worpel DamBrosio
HB Hardwick Scrimshaw Amon
B Frost Barass Battle
Foll Meek Newcombe Day
Int Chol Weddle Nash Impey

That's how I'd love to see us line up.

Breust and Gunston left out makes it easier to see the future and I'm prob a midfielder or two short.
But geez - no room for Ginnivan, McKenzie, Ward, Maginess, Morrison in there.
Good side but Sicily forward squeezes out Chol or Lewis. I’d say regardless, Lewis when he comes back would be taking out Chol’s spot, assuming Dear follows the same trajectory. But anything can happen here and there’s a good chance we try bring in another kpf.

Ginni was a huge part of our revival this year and just no way he misses. Particularly the way we play which favours our small forwards. Ginni for Chol and Frenchy for one of the Weddles.

It's an unfair comparison but imagine across those two finals that instead of kicking to Chol across half forward we had been kicking to Hogan instead.

Instead of Chol being outmarked 70% of the time Hogan would have flipped the percentage and he'd be the one outpointing the oppositions best defender in the one on ones. Simply put wed probably be in the GF this weekend.

Again it's an unfair comparison as Chol is more a third forward / relief ruck but we really need some kind of strong contested marking target down forward (I'm assuming Sic will play this role a lot until Lewis is back).
Even though you're not being overtly negative towards him (which you've mentioned above) – so not necessarily directed at you – but in general am bit over the Chol bashing. But fact is you've brought him up, our leading goal kicker, saying he's "outmarked 70% of the time" I feel is bit of a slight on a player who's pressure efforts, deft touches to go with dead-eye goal kicking and some fantastic marking is disrespecting a first-year player who played a massive part in our success this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Weddle plays forward a bit more next season , especially until Lewis returns.
We should be well covered down back.

He could play CHF or even off a flank and just work up and down the ground .
Would be a nightmare match up and would be very difficult for oppo to keep a decent defensive structure .

Needs more running options from Defence, for mine. My best 22 (23), including Lewis:

FB: Frost.....Barrass.....Impey
HB: Battle..Scrimshaw...Amon
Ce: Weddle.....Day.......Massi
Foll: Meek.....Duke.....Worpel
HF: Sicily.......Lewis......Ginni
FF: Chol.........Dear......Wizard

I/C: Moore..Nash..Croc..Frenchie..Hardwick (Fwd/Def)
Em. from: CJ.....Morrison.....Maginness.....Ward

With Lewis out, I push Weddle to CHF & elevate either CJ or Harry M. Or maybe Ward. Or Maginness... :think: :shrug:
This is the lineup 👏

Even though you're not being overtly negative towards him (which you've mentioned above) – so not necessarily directed at you – but in general am bit over the Chol bashing. But fact is you've brought him up, our leading goal kicker, saying he's "outmarked 70% of the time" I feel is bit of a slight on a player who's pressure efforts, deft touches to go with dead-eye goal kicking and some fantastic marking is disrespecting a first-year player who played a massive part in our success this year.
I’ve been a big fan of Chols work across the year and I’ve often said he’s a massive upgrade on Kossy.

I was more highlighting the fact that we were using Chol as our number 1 marking target in the finals and that’s just not his go and we can’t expect that to work going forward.

He is a very good third forward / relief ruck who is as you say an excellent kick and surprisingly good forward line pressure merchant.

But he’s not a contested marking beast and never will be and that lack of a true power forward really hurt us in the finals.

I’ve been a big fan of Chols work across the year and I’ve often said he’s a massive upgrade on Kossy.

I was more highlighting the fact that we were using Chol as our number 1 marking target in the finals and that’s just not his go and we can’t expect that to work going forward.

He is a very good third forward / relief ruck who is as you say an excellent kick and surprisingly good forward line pressure merchant.

But he’s not a contested marking beast and never will be and that lack of a true power forward really hurt us in the finals.
Glad to hear that as he's been a revelation for us and instrumental in our forward success this year. Though we didn't see him kick 2-3 goals as we may have hoped in the finals, to say Jesse Hogan would've been there to save the day against Port is losing sight of just how bloody good how forward line has functioned in the past 2 months.

Needs more running options from Defence, for mine. My best 22 (23), including Lewis:

HF: Sicily.......Lewis......Ginni
FF: Chol.........Dear......Wizard

I/C: Moore..Nash..Croc..Frenchie..Hardwick (Fwd/Def)
Em. from: CJ.....Morrison.....Maginness.....Ward

With Lewis out, I push Weddle to CHF & elevate either CJ or Harry M. Or maybe Ward. Or Maginness... :think: :shrug:
I love a marking wingman. Dipper, Gowers & Hall were awesome.

This team is almost there but the forward line needs more zip. Croc is too good not to be in the action all game. Reckon Chol goes out if Lewis makes it back. Dear might need to take a few centre bounces though, which is not ideal. Or Nash/Weddle.

HF: Croc....Lewis......Ginni
FF: Sicily........Dear......Wizard

I/C: Moore..Nash..Hardwick…French/Ward
Sub Ward/French

Sicily will kick 50+ up forward. It is worth a crack - he can always go back if not working.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back