Hawks/Luke Hodge - worst draftng blunder ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
coasting said:
What is even funnier is that Chris Judd got 30 votes while the entire Hawthorn football team got 29 votes :D

your a bit slow there coaster, already been done mate its on anouther thread
get with the program buddy.

Total Package said:
Take it from someone who has followed his career since day 1. They said it before he even played his first game for the club that he was going to be special. Try as you might to justify Hawthorns mistake you can't.

I do remember seeing something after Judd's only WAFL game for East Perth, where I think it was the club president who welcomed him to the Royals - and promptly said it would be the only game he ever played for the club.

Mr Q said:
I do remember seeing something after Judd's only WAFL game for East Perth, where I think it was the club president who welcomed him to the Royals - and promptly said it would be the only game he ever played for the club.

Thats right.. he played Round 1 of the WAFL in 2001... picked up some ridiculous amount of kicks in the centre.. 30+ in his first ever game at senior level.... and the president said it would be the last time they ever see Chris Judd again in a East Perth jumper.

could see he would be very special from the wizard cup of 02 - he was way too mature looking for 18. I am his age, I'd have to spend 3 weeks tweaking off meth to look his age.

Total Package said:
Take it from someone who has followed his career since day 1. They said it before he even played his first game for the club that he was going to be special. Try as you might to justify Hawthorns mistake you can't.
Got a better one for you Frank
Three count them three picks by West Coast
no 12 Jaxon Crabb
no 13 Callum Chambers
no 28 Rowan Jones
the significance,in the same draft 1997
no 31 Simon Black
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

WA ROO said:
Got a better one for you Frank
Three count them three picks by West Coast
no 12 Jaxon Crabb
no 13 Callum Chambers
no 28 Rowan Jones
the significance,in the same draft 1997
no 31 Simon Black
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

every other club passed on Black as well. Your point?

jess-jess said:
every other club passed on Black as well. Your point?
the point is that luke ball isnt a crab, whereas jaxon crabb is. therefore the eagles 97 draft is worse than hawthorns 2001 draft. yes every other teams was too, but it just points out that the title of this thread is as stupid as its spelling.

Hawkster said:
Worst drafting blunder - Getting rid of Trent Croad and then asking for him back. :eek:

Think you're being a bit harsh on Podge though. Give him some time.

That was a pretty good trade though. See .... you got the number 1 draft pick out of it then afew years later got Trent Croad back by losing McPharlin and a lower draft pick.

Hawthorn wins that one.

Yze_Magic said:
as evidenced by some guy picked after Luke Podge winning a Brownlow tonight with a mammoth 30 votes

Hawthorn recruiters must be suicidal

Worst
Mistake
Ever

inclined to agree - although at least there is some consulation in that Hodge & Ball are good players. Those Essendon recruiters who put Bolton ahead of Ottens & Tarrant came away empty handed. that was a real shocker

The thread is just another that is so typical of how little people on here know about what is actually going on.

Luke Hodge and Chris Judd have the same Manager. The mananger stated on radio during the season that Luke Hodge was the most sought after player in the draft. 10 clubs wanted Hodge, 4 wanted Ball, and 2 wanted Judd.

So all you retrespective geniuses out there have no idea what you are talking about. How many players who have won Brownlows over the years were drafted No.1? How many? I can't hear you!!!!!! I think the answer is zero isn't it?

So don't give me this CRAP about Hodge being a poor choice by Hawthorn. He was an excellent choice at the time ... still is.

Nightwolf_69 said:
St Kilda had an opportunity aswell

Call me crazy but I am glad we have luke ball. Luke Ball is amazing did you watch the preliminary/semi final??? And ah number 13 from 2001 is doing ok um whats his name... dal santo isn't it???

wouldnt swap judd for ball - simple reason ball is more a team player! Can kick set shot goals.

dipper86 said:
if west coast had the first pick and hawthorn had the 3rd, do you think judd would have been at West Coast,
nope i doubt it.
it was luck of the draw and stupidty by hawthorn.

That is a very relevant point, so all you WCE supporters who are moved to heap praise on your recruiting staff for picking Judd should be mindful that it was nothing more than a stroke of good luck.

SensibleCommentator said:
Call me crazy but I am glad we have luke ball. Luke Ball is amazing did you watch the preliminary/semi final??? And ah number 13 from 2001 is doing ok um whats his name... dal santo isn't it???

wouldnt swap judd for ball - simple reason ball is more a team player! Can kick set shot goals.

The story goes that once Hodge had gone to Hawthorn and the Saints picked Ball, there was speculation that WCE would chose Polak at No3. If this had have happened, Freo was keen on Ashley Sampi, which would have left Judd at pick No.5, which was the Saints next.

Geez you blokes would have squelled like stuck pigs if we had have picked up Ball and Judd in the one draft :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

StKilda were always going to take Ball if Hawthorn didn't. Judd and Hodge were if I recall correctly, their second and third choice respectively, with doubts on Judd's shoulders and Hodge with pace. Judd always though was seen as the one most likely to make an impression year one. I think that as much as anything would have tilted Judd in WC's favour.

But after seeing Judd play his first couple of games, I admit I started worrying that we had gone the wrong way with Ball. The Saints made a big call with Luke from day one, knowing he wouldn't play much more than school footy in his first year. From day one he has been seen as a 10 year player. I'm happy with the decision we made, and wouldn't want to trade Bally now for anyone.

Well, maybe Judd. :(

YAKUZA said:
That is a very relevant point, so all you WCE supporters who are moved to heap praise on your recruiting staff for picking Judd should be mindful that it was nothing more than a stroke of good luck.

Interesting. Hawthorn needed a ready made seniors player from round 1 so they went for Hodge. Remember, Hawthorn had competed in a PF the season before and wanted to top up on a young midfielder to compliment the midfield that thought would take them to success.

Ball had OP and Judd had dodgey shoulders, and Hawthorn were not willing to wait for them to come up. The intriguing thing in this is that the Saints went for Ball with the understanding that he wouldn't play at all in 2002 because of his OP and finishing his schooling. Why they went for ball over Judd is anyones guess as he was also injured (or had crook shoulders) mabye the though Ball was a better long term injury prospect and Judd may not last. Anyway, the Saints are not unhappy with Ball, and i am sure the WCE are not unhappy with Judd.

WZA said:
That was a pretty good trade though. See .... you got the number 1 draft pick out of it then afew years later got Trent Croad back by losing McPharlin and a lower draft pick.

Hawthorn wins that one.

Mmmmm...Hawthorn trade Croad and McMummy's boy for pick 1 and 36, for which they pick Hodge and Mitchell respectively.
3 seasons later, Hawthorn trade pick 10 to get Croad back - pick 10 is used on Ryley Dunne who, according to rumour, is being touted to come back to Victoria. Worst drafting blunder ever Tragic? I think not.

Let's look at the '97 draft when your much maligned Travis Johnstone was picked up first overall - other players drafted by clubs with their FIRST picks were of the calibre of Luke Power (Bris, pick 5); Chris Tarrant (Coll, pick 8); Brad Ottens (Rich, pick 2) and Chad Cornes (Port, pick 9).
Are YOU happy enough with THAT selection?

Macpie said:
inclined to agree - although at least there is some consulation in that Hodge & Ball are good players. Those Essendon recruiters who put Bolton ahead of Ottens & Tarrant came away empty handed. that was a real shocker

How is Danny Roach going these days?

Becker said:
The thread is just another that is so typical of how little people on here know about what is actually going on.

Luke Hodge and Chris Judd have the same Manager. The mananger stated on radio during the season that Luke Hodge was the most sought after player in the draft. 10 clubs wanted Hodge, 4 wanted Ball, and 2 wanted Judd.

So all you retrespective geniuses out there have no idea what you are talking about. How many players who have won Brownlows over the years were drafted No.1? How many? I can't hear you!!!!!! I think the answer is zero isn't it?

So don't give me this CRAP about Hodge being a poor choice by Hawthorn. He was an excellent choice at the time ... still is.

couldn't have said it better myself!!...hopefully these idiots who have spoke badly about the Hodge decision can read this and learn something.

Joffaboy said:
Interesting. Hawthorn needed a ready made seniors player from round 1 so they went for Hodge. Remember, Hawthorn had competed in a PF the season before and wanted to top up on a young midfielder to compliment the midfield that thought would take them to success.

But Hodge was never going to be ready Round 1 as he also had OP for most of 2001 and didn't do a pre-season. He didn't make his debut until Round 5.

And I notice Yze_tragic failed to mention who Melbourne took in the strongest draft of all time with pick 9. Luke Molan.

Now THAT'S a drafting blunder.

GOALden Hawk said:
But Hodge was never going to be ready Round 1 as he also had OP for most of 2001 and didn't do a pre-season. He didn't make his debut until Round 5.

Thats interesting GH. Did he have OP when he was drafted? I was always under the impression Hawthorn picked Hodge because he was fit and raring to go for the 2002 season while the other two were under an injury cloud.

Hmm the plt thickens. Thanks for the info.

Joffaboy said:
Thats interesting GH. Did he have OP when he was drafted? I was always under the impression Hawthorn picked Hodge because he was fit and raring to go for the 2002 season while the other two were under an injury cloud.

Yep, he definitely did - he only played about 6 games for Geelong Falcons the year before due to OP.

Hawthorn picked him, because like 9 other clubs, they believed he would be the best player in the future. He has been good, but obviously not as good as Judd.

But why do Hawthorn cop all the flak when Fremantle gave up the number 1 pick in the strongest draft ever for a player they dumped 2 years later?

Joffaboy said:

He did have OP when he was drafted....
From what I'm lead to believe it was a choice between Hodge and Ball, and with Ball wanting to sit out his first season to play school footy Hodge got the nod.

They did want someone who would be ready to play in 2002, not necessarily round one.

GOALden Hawk said:
But why do Hawthorn cop all the flak when Fremantle gave up the number 1 pick in the strongest draft ever for a player they dumped 2 years later?
I think Freo cop their fair whack.

The Hawks have made plenty of blunders over the past few seasons. Drafting Hodge wasn't one of them. In hindsight, they could have chose better, but even if they hadn't got croad back, Hodge>>Croad. In a year or two with a decent coach, Hodge may look an inspired choice. Either way the Hawks won out of the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back