Hawks/Luke Hodge - worst draftng blunder ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
am i right in saying that hodge was at Box Hill b4 joinin the hawks, if so mayb they did make a blunder then. They knew these three players were the starts for the future. Maybe they should of taken the risk of securing either Judge or Ball (to join his bro.) and then hoping hodges love of the club would help them pick him up wit there next pick. But if we could read the future, what would the point of living be?? HAWKS WILL BE BACK!!!!

pete_hawker said:
am i right in saying that hodge was at Box Hill b4 joinin the hawks, if so mayb they did make a blunder then. They knew these three players were the starts for the future. Maybe they should of taken the risk of securing either Judge or Ball (to join his bro.) and then hoping hodges love of the club would help them pick him up wit there next pick. But if we could read the future, what would the point of living be?? HAWKS WILL BE BACK!!!!
No, you are wrong.

Hodge played for the Geelong Falcons.

Hawthorn should be proud of the way they went about the 2001 draft. To give up a player of the calibre of Trent Croad (Who back then was one of their top 5 players) away showed real guts.(You have to give up good players in order to gain good players) Hawthorn went into that draft with the right idea and sure Judd is the stand out player from that draft but Hodge will be an equally good player for hawthorn as judd is for the eagles.

i can see exciting times for hawthorn, they will get 2 more top talented youngesters with their priority picks, add it to hodge, mitchell, campbell, bateman, williams, matthew ball and nick ries and with their injured stars back in 2005 they will be a force again.

kingsleyhunter said:
NO WHERE NEAR THE WORST.

Luke Hodge is just as good as Chris Judd, just wait untill he puts a pre-season together and plays every game in the midfield next season then i will stick it up all your ass's. Hawthorn didnt get Judd because he will be finished at age 26. I hate seeing people say that Hawthorn wasted there #1 pick because they DIDNT. So just keep you mouths shut and watch...

Hodge will be good, Ball better, Judd the Best

AFL_WOMAN said:
Hawthorn should be proud of the way they went about the 2001 draft. To give up a player of the calibre of Trent Croad (Who back then was one of their top 5 players) away showed real guts.(You have to give up good players in order to gain good players) Hawthorn went into that draft with the right idea and sure Judd is the stand out player from that draft but Hodge will be an equally good player for hawthorn as judd is for the eagles.

i can see exciting times for hawthorn, they will get 2 more top talented youngesters with their priority picks, add it to hodge, mitchell, campbell, bateman, williams, matthew ball and nick ries and with their injured stars back in 2005 they will be a force again.

hmm dont get too excited there woman, Hawthorn has a long way back from its current position.

Total Package said:
There was no luck of the draw about it. Just Hawthorn did not have the balls to select Judd due to his shoulders... Eagles did.

you can;t say this. the 3 standout players were Ball, Hodge & Judd. Most of the talk focused on Ball. Maybe you would have selected Judd with the no.1 but we don't know, because you didn't have a choice to make.

St Kilda & Hawthorn made their choices, you cleaned up the scraps. if WC had known Judd was going to be that good, they would have traded up to no.1 to make sure.

I think Luke Ball is just beginning to show his stuff now.

Only once in a lifetime do you get a ready made star like Judd. There are few players who have made such an impression so quickly. The only danger is in him peaking too early and burning out under the weight of expectation and past performances. That is unlikley at best, however.

For the record, I am very happy to have a player the calibre of Luke Ball at St Kilda. He has been able to mature and grow and become such a solidly performing player that, in time, will be recognised as one of the best players of his era.

CyberKev said:
Yeah, Ball is fab.

Always knows where the ball is and how to get it; doesn't shirk the hard stuff in defence; is as brave as they come; and is capable of kicking fine goals in tight moments.

I believe he will be awesome in future years, as he still has clear development potential, and his stats were pretty handy this season as it was.

I agree Kev and we aint seen the best of Ball by a long shot yet.....IMO he is the most Voss like out of them all.

Everyone's mentioned hindsight so I may as well......now with the advantage of hinsight......I wouldnt change a thing.
:D

I remember posting in this forum after Hawthorn traded Croad and had just received the #1 pick. Everyone had expected Freo to take Polak at #1 but when the trade went through it looked like our chances of getting Ball were gone. The Hawks supporters seemed to be rapt about getting him and we were going to have to make do with Hodge or Judd. All three went into the draft with injury concerns. I think the fact that Ball had requested to sit out the year to play school footy may have been a deciding factor as was Judd's shoulder injuries. IIRC it wasn't until about the week before the draft that it became apparent that Hodge was being considered for the #1 pick. Unfortunately for him he hasn't been able to showcase his true talents because of injury but you'd be happy with what you have seen.

Joffaboy said:
The story goes that once Hodge had gone to Hawthorn and the Saints picked Ball, there was speculation that WCE would chose Polak at No3. If this had have happened, Freo was keen on Ashley Sampi, which would have left Judd at pick No.5, which was the Saints next.

Geez you blokes would have squelled like stuck pigs if we had have picked up Ball and Judd in the one draft :D

I reckon we'd have one more game to play this season had we pulled that one off.

The stupid part about it, was that Hawthorn wanted an instant 'ready to play' midfielder to take the next step to a flag (or so they thought).

They overlooked Luke Ball as he wanted to continue his study, so it came down to Judd and Hodge.

Regardless of what happened on Monday night, I would have thought that Judd would have been your choice as a 'quick fix' to the midfield problems.

Hawthorn didn't trade for a number 1 pick as a future investment. I think this is why Hodge over Judd was a strange decision.

dipper86 said:
if west coast had the first pick and hawthorn had the 3rd, do you think judd would have been at West Coast,
nope i doubt it.
it was luck of the draw and stupidty by hawthorn.

I think that comment can just about sum up the 'art' of recruiting. The question is WHO would the Eagles have picked IF they had the number 1 choice?Its a lottery..ask Richard Lounder.

jess-jess said:
every other club passed on Black as well. Your point?

I think he has got you there, and to think that Black is a Western Australia and the Eagles told him they wanted to pick him, but, just never quite got around to it, due to the other 'guns' they picked before him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SensibleCommentator said:
Call me crazy but I am glad we have luke ball. Luke Ball is amazing did you watch the preliminary/semi final??? And ah number 13 from 2001 is doing ok um whats his name... dal santo isn't it???

wouldnt swap judd for ball - simple reason ball is more a team player! Can kick set shot goals.

That is a ridiculous statement, surely you must realise that Chris Judd is better than Luke Ball. Sure, you might not be unhappy with Ball, but, if you had the chance to trade anyone in the league for Judd you would be stupid to pass it up.

Ramma said:
Mmmmm...debatable, but OK.
What if you had of taken Croad instead, traded him for pick 1 in 2001, got Hodge, then got Croad back 2 years later??

What if they had have taken Croad instead, traded him for pick no 1 in 2001, and not wasted it on Hodge and picked up Judd, and then got Croad back 2 years later. I am sure they would be happier with Judd and Croad than Travis Johnstone.

Ted Pellitts said:
it is a big mistake but if yze magic didn't have the chip on his shoulder about travis johnstone there wouldn't be a thread in the first place.

Nothing to do with this thread, I just love your signature and wanted to compliment it. Also, as a Leeds United fan, it makes me a touch sad considering they were both heading in the same direction not that long ago. Once again, bloody good signature.

mayhem176 said:
That is a ridiculous statement, surely you must realise that Chris Judd is better than Luke Ball. Sure, you might not be unhappy with Ball, but, if you had the chance to trade anyone in the league for Judd you would be stupid to pass it up.

Not much in it at this stage IMO. If anything Ball is in front as he has stepped up in finals, a thing that Juddy has yet to to.

RIPPER_46 said:
Not much in it at this stage IMO. If anything Ball is in front as he has stepped up in finals, a thing that Juddy has yet to to.

No, your right, not much in it, only about 20 Brownlow votes. I think you guys all need to step away from your club alleigances and accept that Judd is the best of the lot, Ball is very good and Hodge may become good, but at the moment, looks a very poor choice.

Judd is widely regarded as one of the top 5 players in the league by people not blinded by the fact they are sour their club didn't draft him, Ball is regarded as a great up and coming player, and Hodge a stuff up. That is not to say it won't turn around in the future, but, that is the way it stands.

mayhem176 said:
No, your right, not much in it, only about 20 Brownlow votes. I think you guys all need to step away from your club alleigances and accept that Judd is the best of the lot, Ball is very good and Hodge may become good, but at the moment, looks a very poor choice.

And why is it a poor choice? he is a regular starter for the club, i would love to see Judd take those votes in the 04 hawks side! Once we start winning and hodge plays in the middle i would be shocked if he doesn't rack up the numbers Judd does. BTW Reiwoldt should have won the brownlow but hey its not the end of world.

mayhem176 said:
Judd is widely regarded as one of the top 5 players in the league by people not blinded by the fact they are sour their club didn't draft him, Ball is regarded as a great up and coming player, and Hodge a stuff up. That is not to say it won't turn around in the future, but, that is the way it stands.

I would love Judd at the hawks, but i doubt he would have made us that much better then some people think, Judd has tones of help in that eagles midfield, plays in a side that wins. And what i highlighted is one of the biggest load of crap i have ever read. Oh and Judd over his career only has 3.7 odd disposal more a game, for some that labelled him a superstar midfielder he sure doesn't get the pill enough to over take a stuff up like Hodge, who barely played in the midfield, nor does he have Judd's talented supporting cast

Pick 8 in that draft > Hodge (received 13 votes)

Hodges impact at this stage has not been great due to injuries. Ironic seeing as this was the reason Judd was overlooked. Hodge does not seem to have the same desire as those other draftpicks either. Didn't he come back to the start of his second preseason 10 kilo's overweight. Hawthorn players were calling him the new Piggy of the club (due to weight, not talent). Anyway, Polak had a fine season in 2003, Judd and Ball have had fantastic years and Bartel's second half was near the equal of Judd's in Brownlow votes (10 in second half while missing last two games). Hodge is an average player that may develop into a good-great player. Judd is now a champion, Bartel and Ball are far ahead of Hodge. Draft blunder is a bit harsh as no-one can predict how a player will turn out. You just hope that a top 10 draft pick will play a lot of good games for your club over a long career. Picking up a champion is a bonus.

mayhem176 said:

I swear if i had a time machine I would still choose luke ball over judd. why? balance poise kicks from BOTH sides of the body and both hands. evidence? watch saints play their last 2 games, hell watch the saints last 26 games!

Judd yeah is shining in a middle ranked team and has lightning speed great unbelievable talent so who cares! they are both great I just love Ball's attitude moreso. Luke Ball has Rob Harvey, Thompson, Burke all their to teach him the ultimate skills.

As i keep saying forget judd at number 3, Dal at 13 is insane - THAT IS THE BIGGEST BLUNDER FOR EVERYONE! To see why dal santo is the best you have to watch closely becasuse his work is done in the middle of the pack does a couple of spins and dummies and then handballs perfectly out of the packs to a team mate.

Seriously shut up and go watch the last 2 saint games CLOSELY on Ball and Dal Santo and come back here and tell me we would care about Judd.

Judd is the best from 2001 draft ....but along with dal and ball its simple!

Bartel, Ablett and Kelly are awesome BTW!

Hodge isn't CRAP either far from it.

Boo hoo :( we missed judd :D we only got Ball and Dal Santo :D

SensibleCommentator said:
I swear if i had a time machine I would still choose luke ball over judd. why? balance poise kicks from BOTH sides of the body and both hands. evidence? watch saints play their last 2 games, hell watch the saints last 26 games!

You watch Judd at all???? Yes Luke Ball is going to be great Player. Luke Hodge MIGHT be a good player if he didnt suffer from Phil Reid-itis.... but neither are going to be as good as Judd.

RIPPER_46 said:

Last 2 finals

Luke Ball 21 poss 2 goals
Luke Ball 16 poss 1 goal

Chris Judd 19 poss 2 goals (out of only 4 for the team)
Chris Judd 20 poss 0 goals

Yeah that Luke Ball really showed Judd how to play in finals :rolleyes: Judd obviously hasn't stepped up and Ball's class is there for all to see :rolleyes:

RIPPER_46 said:
Good stats there Frank, Pity his opponent had 20 touches by half-time.

actually it was the other way round ripper. judd was cutting sydney up, so sydney had to move williams away from judd. after quarter time judd went forward and the tag from bolton followed him. williams got all his possesions because we put flectcher and williams head to head.

does anyone remember judd inspirational work in the opening 10 minutes when he got 2 holding the ball's and won about 3 contested balls on the sydney HFF just infront of the camera. that defines leadership, he got the side up and running if we didnt mess up all the oppourtunities going forward then it may have been a different story by the time the rain came. judd was then put forward for a spark and spark he did- 2 goals in a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back