Review Hawks v Dogs Practice Match, Wednesday 24th Feb 10.30am

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want to over cook it but we're the form team of the competition & at this stage we're strong Premiership favourites.

A lot to play out over the next couple of weeks, but we can take a lot of confidence from this win.

I was watching the game on my phone and never got the watermark/menu. If there is any replay this might be an option.
Watched full screen on my laptop...no watermark at all

Howe was good I thought. Not a standout by any means but solid for a first hit out coming off a limited pre-season.

Moore also did a bit more in close than people probably noticed. I can remember a couple of instances where he stripped the ball from a dogs player within a pack and fed out a deft handball to a team mate.

Also has a few moments he is known for where he linked up through the middle then turned and surged forward. Certainly didn't play a great game but I'd say the coaching staff will be reasonably pleased that he played his role.
Cheers mate. Its hard to keep tabs on all the players.

Seems like the Doggies AFL listed players are a little more active than ours in this second game so far- Finn, Reeves and Morris are the stoundouts for mine so far. Haven't seen/heard Jeka out there yet

Look Box Hill are getting demolished and the commentators don’t know who the players are so it's not an easy listen. We’re down by about 30 at half-time.

Morris looks lively when he gets the chance. Good tackling and a big unit. Positions well in front but has been let down by our teams kicking. Does tend to slip and at this stage relies on others.

Reeves is the dominant big man in the ruck and really good around the ground. Winning hitouts, taking marks, good at ground level and kicked a goal courtesy of a 50. Still suffers from some ball-watching but is very impressive. Far ahead of Brooksby (who I hope is OK after an injury).

Maginness looks good in the centre square but missing when played on the wing.

I’ve hardly sighted Jeka and Nash. The former laid a big tackle so I know he’s out there.

If it is Callow in the number 7 (I’m not sure) he’s probably looked the most likely to take a contested mark but like most of our tall forwards hasn’t really impacted so far. Was robbed of a great pack mark.

The commentators are laying it on thick for Ugle-Hagan but I think DGB has positioned well to limit his influence.

Number 15 for Box Hill is raw but super impressive with his speed and endeavour. Not sure who it is.

No worries. Yeah I reckon once the real stuff starts I still wouldn't be expecting us to win too much as we're still quite raw in terms of executing skills which will break down many possession changes and cost us scoring opportunities. But if we don't give up trying we should stay close in most games, and I'm sure we'll scare a few good sides along the way if they don't come prepared to battle it out to the end.
That is all you can ask for from a developing list imo. I posted previously it is one of Clarkos great strengths, getting team effort week in week out.

I thought Ratten did it at the Blues as well. He squeezed everything out of the side and they kept going till the end even if they were not the most talented squad about. Give a coach like that the cattle and you are in with a shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good:

Morrison: If he was a bit bigger he would be a real handful. Gets pushed around a bit easily. Played well though.

Average:

Howe: Maybe a bit under done still.

Apologies if I missed anyone. Good signs today. Particularly, the work ethic. Foot skills improved as the game went on as did delivery by hand.

(Boxhill off to a slow start too.)

A few thoughts, noticed this too - Morrison was tireless. On the move at all times and got to really good spots, used it nicely. Got stuck into a situation on the wing with Liberatore and was shoved off too easy. I reckon it's just what you get with Harry though, I'll take the skill and just hope he doesn't get into those physical situations with stronger guys too often.

Howe also, thought he was a bit better than average. Had a few crafty spot up kicks in traffic and his size was really handy at times.

Don't want to over cook it but we're the form team of the competition & at this stage we're strong Premiership favourites.

A lot to play out over the next couple of weeks, but we can take a lot of confidence from this win.
We had a red hot go, and we're happy to get the 4 points and now we'll just take it a week at a time...

We had a red hot go, and we're happy to get the 4 points and now we'll just take it a week at a time...
Yeh, nah, full credit to the boys.

Bulldogs are a great side and it's just really good to get the win.

A few thoughts, noticed this too - Morrison was tireless. On the move at all times and got to really good spots, used it nicely. Got stuck into a situation on the wing with Liberatore and was shoved off too easy. I reckon it's just what you get with Harry though, I'll take the skill and just hope he doesn't get into those physical situations with stronger guys too often.

Howe also, thought he was a bit better than average. Had a few crafty spot up kicks in traffic and his size was really handy at times.

They used to say "Sam Mitchell has the fastest moving brain in the AFL". My knock on Howe has always been that he seemed to have the slowest moving brain in the AFL. Like you could almost literally see him thinking about his options. I feel like I didn't see that today from him. So I'll take that as a tick

To my eyes we looked far more keen to move the ball and take the play on in the middle. There seemed to be more of an emphasis in isolating a key in the forward 50 with a small floating around too.
Very interested to see how JOM was used- seemed to be more setting up the play playing a true centre role as opposed to going to each contest.
Sounds very Sammy M like perhaps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Hawks v Dogs Practice Match, Wednesday 24th Feb 10.30am

Remove this Banner Ad

Back