Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I think the Monfrees decision was shite, I think a case can be made for the way the umpire called it. If he (the ref) thought that Gibbo shifted his eyes from the ball, then it could be conceived that he was charging into Monfrees. And if you look closely, Gibbo did move his head a little.

From the Hawk pov, he as simply running with the ball trying to intercept. But from the refs pov, ???????

I lost my shit when that free was paid against Gibson. I still do now.

That umpire needs to be removed from finals, because he doesn't understand football at all.

It probably slipped down behind the cushion on the couch, mate. ;)

As much as I think the Monfrees decision was shite, I think a case can be made for the way the umpire called it. If he (the ref) thought that Gibbo shifted his eyes from the ball, then it could be conceived that he was charging into Monfrees. And if you look closely, Gibbo did move his head a little.

From the Hawk pov, he as simply running with the ball trying to intercept. But from the refs pov, ???????

I can't take your point seriously when you call the ump ref. ;)

It was the wrong decision. Mo fries looks at gibbo before the ball arrives and is quite aware of what he was doing. There is nothing in the rules about looking at players etc. gibbo was contesting the ball which is all he was required to do.
I wasn't arguing whether it was the right call or not. Simply stating that if the umpire thought that Gibbo was not focussing on the ball, then he could have interpreted it as charging.

It was the wrong decision. Mo fries looks at gibbo before the ball arrives and is quite aware of what he was doing. There is nothing in the rules about looking at players etc. gibbo was contesting the ball which is all he was required to do.
it could be argued that monfries was playing for the free and it was well played by him and in hindsight i don't find that unreasonable. in the heat of the battle it was hard to fathom tho. whatever the case i do not like players like monfries who would rather play the umpire/free than the ball.

I do hate that any player running with the flight of the ball has a presumed free kick against them in an aerial marking contest.

That's just not right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely agree LP. The direction you're running from shouldn't be a consideration unless it's obvious you're not really competing for the ball.

If it's a perfectly fair and legitimate attempt at winning or spoiling the ball then there should not be an automatic free for front on contact.

Tickets booked. Who else was lucky enough to pick tickets up this morning?
I managed to get general admin. Hoping that will be okay if we get there early?
Took forever trying to work out how to use the ticketek app and missed out on better ones

what the F*** has booking tickets got to do with last years PF:rolleyes:
Just carrying on the discussion as started by others. It's a bit too early to start the round 4 thread when we haven't even played round 1, isn't it?

Why freo p35?
I must admit to being a doubter... just too many holes in the side.

You only have to look at Ross Lyon's record....Combined with the fact they have 12 Home games which means they are almost guaranteed 10 wins from the get-go

They were SMASHED by the umpires up in Sydney last year in their Qualifying Final & were more than good enuf to have won that game without the absolute shellacking they copped at the hands of the umpires for the first 3 quarters....They were then beaten by a hot Port who ran over them in the last quarter....But for poor kicking in the first quarter, Freo would have had that game on toast.

Top 4 for mine, easily.....In fact, I'd have em ahead of Sydney in 3rd spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Back