Autopsy Hawks vs Roos - rip it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

At $3.50 a bottle of Gatorade, it's cheaper to use champagne.
Hawks dont do the Gatorade thing because one of our players had a horrible skin reaction and missed weeks - forget who it was.
Glad we dont.
Its immature, wasteful, and saves some poor bugger from having to clean it all up.!!

We only need to bring the ball to ground ... Our small forwards will do the rest.
We need someone big up there who can read the play.
Reading the play would be good because our miss and forwards are not on the same page a lot. Watching the North defenders react to the kick quicker than our forwards all day was a pain. Our lack of movement doesn't help

Reading the play would be good because our miss and forwards are not on the same page a lot. Watching the North defenders react to the kick quicker than our forwards all day was a pain. Our lack of movement doesn't help

When we transition the footy quickly and open up angoes from the fat side of the ground we look great, but when movement is slow and we bomb long we get killed by bigger defenders.

Gunno had a shocker yesterday, he was cobstantly unable to impact the contest whether that Hansen or Tarrant.

They're a bog average side North, we should have won by 15 goals.

I felt for gunston today.

Our perchant for the constant long bomb into the forward 50 really makes it hard for him to be as damaging as we know he can be.

It wasn't until till the last quarter that he was hit up on the lead for the first time in a long time.

Hes being manned by bigger opponents this season. You would think he should be able to exploit for pace but we just keep bombing it onto his head like a sitting duck.

I'm sure there's a reason for it but the stab pass to him on the lead is almost undefendable. And surely worth more than one attempt in a game.
I am convinced that the long bomb is an instruction that is reduced as the finals approach.
I would bet that come the Collingwood game that Gunston TOB Breust ect will get some quality delivery inside 50.
I'm pretty sure everyone understands the long bomb play & AFL teams are more than aware of how Hawthorn bring the smalls into play & set up accordingly; our smalls are more than capable of being hit up targets in their own right.
Rd 1-23 is in preparation for the finals & our finals campaign is usually a lot more structured with the fwd 50 entries.
Everyone plays their role & Gunners is going above & beyond to set up "my theory". He will probably be the biggest beneficiary of all of his hard work & also provide a "someone" with the opportunity to have a day out along the way to kick a bag.

We are good at many things. We are the best at some - including kicking the ball long to an opposition defender!!!
Man its doing my head in!!
I dont want to diss the many positives but this side of our game is incredibly frustrating.

It frustrated us and most of the members around us yesterday. One bloke had a running commentary happening before we even took possession he would shout "yep kick it high and long straight to Tarrant or Goldstein"

Couple of glaring examples was the fourth qrt where Gunstan and Langford near the Olympic stand wing kicking down to the punt rd end.

One was a mark to Gunstan and the other a fifty mtr penalty to Langers. Both kicked the ball high and mighty into our forward line. Both occasions the North players marked repelling the attack and on both occasions they had options to lower the eyes and spot Lewis in the fifty mtr arc who was all on his own.

Lewis was not happy with Langers, he was filthy as he walked past him and he let Langers know about it with a few expletives.

I don't know if this is a tactic employed by Clarko and co', for most of the day did not work yesterday.

Last edited:
Not sure that's the solution. North played a spare defender and we never adjusted. Was pathetic how many times we went down this path. A Roughead would really help in organising it forward line.

Some of Hilly's short passing I50 was sublime and showed what we needed to be doing a lot more.

I felt for gunston today.

Our perchant for the constant long bomb into the forward 50 really makes it hard for him to be as damaging as we know he can be.

It wasn't until till the last quarter that he was hit up on the lead for the first time in a long time.

Hes being manned by bigger opponents this season. You would think he should be able to exploit for pace but we just keep bombing it onto his head like a sitting duck.

I'm sure there's a reason for it but the stab pass to him on the lead is almost undefendable. And surely worth more than one attempt in a game.

I don't think Gunners worked hard enough to give them another option to be honest..........and I realise how hard he works up and down the ground and in to the backline.

However I thought today he wasn't leading well (and we were hitting up the leads pretty well today) but rather chose to engage a guy who clearly has his measure one on one

At the ground it looked like they've put the whistle away for Poppy, maybe his high tackle days are done but there were so many holds ignored

It's been like that since the last North game I reckon, seems to me also though that players are much more aware when tackling him and are letting go as soon as he starts dropping the knees.

I regularly have this convo with the guys I sit with at the footy. So many players rush with ball in hand or panic. Birchall rarely ever does. He looks at all options and more than just about any other player makes the right decision.

Yes he has the occasional disposal stuff up but it's so rare for him compared to 95% of players that it's more noticeable when he does.

I always say this on here too but he is so criminally underrated on here. Still frustrates the hell out of me when people seem to not notice how bloody important this guy is to our side.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I always underrate him when I do votes. And even though I know I do it, I still do it.

He just plays so bloody consistently every week it doesn't seem special.

I am convinced that the long bomb is an instruction that is reduced as the finals approach.
I would bet that come the Collingwood game that Gunston TOB Breust ect will get some quality delivery inside 50.
I'm pretty sure everyone understands the long bomb play & AFL teams are more than aware of how Hawthorn bring the smalls into play & set up accordingly; our smalls are more than capable of being hit up targets in their own right.
Rd 1-23 is in preparation for the finals & our finals campaign is usually a lot more structured with the fwd 50 entries.
Everyone plays their role & Gunners is going above & beyond to set up "my theory". He will probably be the biggest beneficiary of all of his hard work & also provide a "someone" with the opportunity to have a day out along the way to kick a bag.

Burton showed more in the 1st qtr than TOB has his whole career, I'd be concerned we're playing with only 21 plus half a sub with TOB in finals. I hope Burton stays or if Sic comes in TOB runs around for the Mustangs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burton showed more in the 1st qtr than TOB has his whole career, I'd be concerned we're playing with only 21 plus half a sub with TOB in finals. I hope Burton stays or if Sic comes in TOB runs around for the Mustangs.
I had a sneeky suspicion that you would jump at this one mate;)
I won't back this one up because on this one we are both stuck in our ways :)

We will be just making up the numbers unless there is substantial improvement over the next several weeks. One of Sicily/Burton/O'Brien have to have an impact otherwise I can't see us scoring enough goals to win.

My eyes rolled so far back at the melodrama in this post that I could count the zits on my ass.

Two.

Reading the game day thread and after watching the replay I thought Langford got unfairly criticized. Didn't play a blinder but also wasn't anywhere near as terrible as he was being made out to be.

Was great to see all of our outside runners putting on a show.

To be fair, fumbles and turnovers are much more noticeable than tackles or tagging someone out of the game.

Reading the game day thread and after watching the replay I thought Langford got unfairly criticized. Didn't play a blinder but also wasn't anywhere near as terrible as he was being made out to be.

Was great to see all of our outside runners putting on a show.
He had a good quarter, then started fumbling, bombing long to 4-on1's, etc

Don't know what it looked like on tv, but at the game he was clearly our worst on, and in the bottom 3 for the game (Harvey and Thomas worse)

I had a sneeky suspicion that you would jump at this one mate;)
I won't back this one up because on this one we are both stuck in our ways :)

I'm glad we are both starting to understand each other, it's taken a while!

Last edited:
Ceglar took one mark, a very poor output. It seems if he isn't in the perfect position he won't mark it, he can't use any force
to mark it, BB isn't much better. Defensively in the air the same applies, just not aggressive enough and often it hurts us.

It frustrated us and most of the members around us yesterday. One bloke had a running commentary happening before we even took possession he would shout "yep kick it high and long straight to Tarrant or Goldstein".

Was this in or around M51? If so that guy was a loud-mouth know it all who grew extremely tiresome for EVERYONE around him. Best thing was, the three people in front of me had a clue about the game and amongst themselves were constantly correcting him which was amusing to listen to. He was one of these bright sparks wondering why we go backwards to cross the field, despite it having worked fairly well for us for, I don't know, 5 years now. Also one of those geniuses that yells out 'JUST KICK IT' if a player has hesitated for a millisecond.

Ceglar took one mark, a very poor output. It seems if he isn't in the perfect position he won't mark it, he can't use any force
to mark it, BB isn't much better. Defensively in the air the same applies, just not aggressive enough and often it hurts us.

Cegs is a funny one, he puts in these random performances where he dominates, he looks the athletic big ruck that can go forward with a nice touch and kick a goal. Then he goes MIA for a month and delivers absolute rubbish, yesterday he looked well below level required.

We have never put a big emphasis on classy ruckman so I'm assuming we'll be stuck with him for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks vs Roos - rip it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back