News Hawthorn AGM 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just to reiterate, the entire competition was on the same playing field when it came to Covid

1. winning two premierships - Not achieved. We didn't even win a final, despite the outgoing president claiming that as late as mid 2020 that the club was on track to be in flag contention by 2022.
  2. achieving 100,000 members - Not achieved. Board candidate Ed Sill used this as a platform for his campaign, between 2008 and 2018 the HFC was top 2 for club membership (AFL wide) in every season. At a time when club membership exploded (cheap money, lockdowns etc.) our membership growth has slowed to a crawl. From a position of strength now the HFC is holding a top 6 spot (albeit only just)*
  3. developing a new training and administration facility at Dingley - Not yet started, significant amounts of funding lost. Kennett has claimed that his political grandstanding has resulted in the State holding back 15m in funding. That said, the project was put on hold due to Covid uncertainties, construction volitaity and material shortages
  4. securing an AFLW license; - Achieved (though not as early as hoped). Literally the last club in the AFL to get a license (woot)
  5. extending the club’s Tasmanian Government partnership - Achieved. A one-year extension with no security over 2024 and beyond. Meanwhile our hold over MCG tenancy has been absolutely gutted.
I must say given the infighting its nothing short of a miracle that we have 84000 members - I guess it just shows how much reach and potential that the HFC has as a brand.

With our history of success, we should be much, much more and I have no doubt that the current administration's 'golden era' has been to blame for that.

Let's hope that Andy Gowers doesn't float another relocation to Launceston or hit the Today Show wearing HFC merchandise and entering the political fray (to our absolute detriment)
also for most of the year any communication or mentio of dingley was non existent lol

Credit where it is due to Kennett - he would actually communicate via email. I do appreciate that when a few members including myself asked for the 1 guernsey to be returned to the players he saw the sense on that. The other time I emailed him when I was miffed he was playing fast and loose with the club’s identity he was patronising in his response - but at least he still took the time. Hoping Gowers maintains the open line of communication with members where reasonable.

Managed to get part of Kennett speech from last night…..

Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest
Have a look at the headlock here (from Hartford)
See that chap over?(Gowers) He- GET YOUR HAND OFF MY ”PRESIDENCY”!
This is the bloke who got me on the ”outer” before!
What is the charge?
Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal? (didn’t know there was food at AGM)
Oh that's a nice headlock Gowers
Oh
Aaah yes. I see that you know your judo well. Good one
And you “Merlino” are you waiting to receive my limp ”response”?
How dare-
Get your hands off me
Ta-ta and farewell!

"Irrelevant" is like "vanilla"

It sounds profound, but it's really meaningless.

Irrelevant to who? Decided by who? What does it mean to be relevant, and what happens when you're not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many would argue that we already are very irrelevant. Recently our brand has taken massive blows and we've come across as amateurish at best. We seem to be an after thought for the AFL and others. Just look at fixturing, infighting, funding, the AFLW licensing, the destination club persona etc. Don't appear to have half the influence we used to. Yeah ... sort of sounds irrelevant to me. I've never heard so many people joke or laugh about the HFC as they have in the past few years. We used to be feared, both on and off the field. Not any more.

Many would argue that we already are very irrelevant. Recently our brand has taken massive blows and we've come across as amateurish at best. We seem to be an after thought for the AFL and others. Just look at fixturing, infighting, funding, the AFLW licensing, the destination club persona etc. Don't appear to have half the influence we used to. Yeah ... sort of sounds irrelevant to me. I've never heard so many people joke or laugh about the HFC as they have in the past few years. We used to be feared, both on and off the field. Not any more.
Yeah and every time the HFC has had that perception where no one is worried about us we always seemingly end up delivering 7-8 years of sustained success. Like always we'll lift ourselves off the canvas like we always do. Nothing surer.

Well if all this is true we should have absolutely stuck with the present regime then as Derm is suggesting.

So weird that Jeff gets any credit for the AFLW licence considering we only got one because they did a final expansion push which included all clubs that weren’t yet included. It was a default inclusion. Don’t doubt Jeff was passionate about it but it is not an achievement he can lay claim to.
this.

we were included by default.

"Irrelevant" is like "vanilla"

It sounds profound, but it's really meaningless.

Irrelevant to who? Decided by who? What does it mean to be relevant, and what happens when you're not?

I thought this board unanimously decided that 'vanilla' was a positive now, after Harry 'plain ice cream' Morrison had a career best season?

I wouldn't trust Derms opinion on much to be fair. Walking CTE

I love Derm - but his commentary on Fox Sports is basically 95% irrelevant waffling that has no relevance to the game at hand. If that's any indication of his broader thinking then I think Andy will be okay.

I love Derm - but his commentary on Fox Sports is basically 95% irrelevant waffling that has no relevance to the game at hand. If that's any indication of his broader thinking then I think Andy will be okay.
Still disappointing to hear things like that from Derm*. I expect better from him.

*if in fact it was from one of his social media accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back