Moved Thread Hawthorn - Excuse Now?

Remove this Banner Ad

What today reminded me of (not that I needed any further reminder) was how good Jimmy Bartel is. Ablett, Judd and Franklin may be considered some the best players in the game but when the game is up for grabs Bartel is the one man I want in my team.
Geelong are going to be hard to beat again this year.

Except for last week

Except that the cats to my knowledge didn't make excuses. Hawkins in the post-match interview this week said something like we thought we played well but made some silly mistakes and didn't do some of the basics right.

Last week we were close but not good enough. No excuses just an acknowledgement that we could've been better and need to improve.

Not sure they need to make excuses, they have come through a tricky fixture list with a commanding win and unlucky loss. They will be there in the final four and everyone knows they are one tough prospect. Franklin kicks those goals from the boundary and they are 2.50 premiership favourites.

Wow, someone being realistic! Refreshing after much banal corn about Geelong. Yes they're great, but even great teams are lucky (if that exists :roll eyes: ).
Tho still doesn't excuse hawthorns missed opps.

Not sure why we need an excuse. Geelong have been the best team by and large over the last five years. Today we saw again why. Putting things in perspective, we only lost by 2 points, so plenty to look forward to with the Hawks as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn are a fragile mentally weak team when it comes to playing against the Cats.. Hawthorn lost today because of selfish and trying to be too fancy footy.
Hawthorn will never beat Geelong until the Cats are old and all the played that lost in the 08 GF have gone..
Geelong are not a great side but Hawthorn are great at letting the Cats play like a great side each time they play each other..

Hahahaha, I think that this requires quoting time and time again. How bitter can one supporter be?

3 out of 5, highest winning percentage over 5 yeasr ever, how are they not one of the great sides?

I hope bitter people like you enjoy loss number 8 in a row!

Most of the other hawthorn supporters on here have been quite good.

FWIW, I think umpiring today was very good, except for Franklin getting a few cheap ones early.

i laugh reading this crap. just witnessed a game that will be tough to beat for the game of the year, yet one team are a bunch of chokers, the other had it handed to them, buddy's selfish..blah blah blah!!
hawthorn had their chances to win the game and didnt take them. geelong has a strong forward line that overpowered our defence and it was the difference in the game.
anyone remember when buddy kicked the goal of the year against the bombers two years ago? remember how he kicked almost a replica of the goal three minutes before hand? youtube it. he has done it many times, and with the conditions the way they were today, not a bad option.
all he did wrong on the first one was he could have run another 10m.

i look at osborne, bateman and bruest as the major issues for us today.

5 centre clearances to none in the last quarter means geelong had the ball in their forward line quickly and the forward is always at the advantage there. a great defender would struggle here....

one thing that continues to frustrate the hell out of me with the hawks is the way they kick the ball to franklin. if you watch the cats kick the ball forward to a contest, its generally to the advantage of the forward player 90% time. even if they dont lead, its on the their side of the contest. better than 50/50 chance of marking it.
hawks continue to just bomb it on buddys head!!! put it on his side of the contest!!! his first 2-3 steps would put 2m on any defender in the game!! let him run to the ball! it isnt rocket science!!!

great game of footy, i can see another couple of close ones later in the year.

No excuses we choked everyone including Hawks fans would admit it. Is it embarrassing no Geelong are the most mentally strong side I've ever seen in my time. We're a good side and always produce epic games against a fantastic opponent, you can't afford mistakes or passengers against the best.

1-1 after 2 rounds with Geelong and Collingwood out of the way = a pass. I would have taken that if offered. I feel pretty good about the fact that Hawthorn will have more wins than Geelong by the end of the season. The hoodoo will end soon enough .... now it's just a matter of when and what is at stake for Geelong.

The rain brought Geelong into the game. On a dry day no one in the Geelong team will be able to go with the likes of savage and smith. Conditions suited Geelong today.

i laugh reading this crap. just witnessed a game that will be tough to beat for the game of the year, yet one team are a bunch of chokers, the other had it handed to them, buddy's selfish..blah blah blah!!
hawthorn had their chances to win the game and didnt take them. geelong has a strong forward line that overpowered our defence and it was the difference in the game.
anyone remember when buddy kicked the goal of the year against the bombers two years ago? remember how he kicked almost a replica of the goal three minutes before hand? youtube it. he has done it many times, and with the conditions the way they were today, not a bad option.
all he did wrong on the first one was he could have run another 10m.

i look at osborne, bateman and bruest as the major issues for us today.

5 centre clearances to none in the last quarter means geelong had the ball in their forward line quickly and the forward is always at the advantage there. a great defender would struggle here....

one thing that continues to frustrate the hell out of me with the hawks is the way they kick the ball to franklin. if you watch the cats kick the ball forward to a contest, its generally to the advantage of the forward player 90% time. even if they dont lead, its on the their side of the contest. better than 50/50 chance of marking it.
hawks continue to just bomb it on buddys head!!! put it on his side of the contest!!! his first 2-3 steps would put 2m on any defender in the game!! let him run to the ball! it isnt rocket science!!!

great game of footy, i can see another couple of close ones later in the year.

Game of the year?? It's gonna be one sh!t year if at the end of it we are talking about today's game as one of the best. The 1st half was rubbish - error riddled, scrappy, I fair dinkum turned over to the racing channel it was so painful to watch. 2nd half was better, closeness of scores obviously kept interest high, but it is hardly going to be regarded as one of the classics

Rather than criticising Hawthorn,we should probably give kudos to Geelong for being so mentally tough,and for never,ever giving up no matter how far they get behind in a game.

The rain brought Geelong into the game. On a dry day no one in the Geelong team will be able to go with the likes of savage and smith. Conditions suited Geelong today.

Bollocks. Our mental fragility let them back into it. Seeds of doubt in ourselves and in our opposition...they smell blood, they harden up and go back to basics.

Put simply, they want it much more

The 1st half was rubbish - error riddled, scrappy, I fair dinkum turned over to the racing channel it was so painful to watchs
You don't really... get.. football, do you? They were playing shortly after a hailstorm and in heavy rain FWIW. It's called man-on-man pressure footy, not something the Collingwood robots have had to worry about too much - but when faced with it in the 2011 Grand Final it seemed to worry your boys a bit.

Anyway, luckily we had that Harlem Globetrotters-esque performance from Collingwood versus Richmond to entertain us on the weekend, eh?

Game of the year?? It's gonna be one sh!t year if at the end of it we are talking about today's game as one of the best. The 1st half was rubbish - error riddled, scrappy, I fair dinkum turned over to the racing channel it was so painful to watch. 2nd half was better, closeness of scores obviously kept interest high, but it is hardly going to be regarded as one of the classics

In wet and windy conditions it was a classic.
Two of the best teams other than Carlton & WC played a ripper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back