Toast Hawthorn have headf***ed everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't really remember as much media love in my lifetime as we have received the past few weeks, so it's only natural for people to start not liking us. I remember in 2015 or 2016 Luke Beveridge said 'we don't want to be anyone's second favorite team' when the Dogs starting rising, as it usually means you're not much of a threat.

However I do find it kind of strange that people have been calling us arrogant and saying that we really carried on this year. I think we really toed the line and the only thing I didn't love this year was the Ginnivan instagram comment, whilst harmless it was unnecessary and avoidable.

But for the most part, the players celebrated their goals, sometimes individually before then celebrating with the team, had a great social media presence and then took a selfie on the ground after a game. Hardly anything arrogant in my opinion but I suppose it somehow rubbed people the wrong way.

Had someone tell me last night we should've lost by more?? How??
Port were on their knees with 2 spares behind the ball for the last 10 mins of the game. They were barely holding on.

Headfkd.
The umpiring... Its always the umpiring should have lost by 4 goals.

As always umpiring had no effect on the game. None. Every supporter feels aggrieved by it which really shows that there was no effect.

I'm actually staggered that people in the media are labelling us the villain in this and supporting Ken Hinkley.

Timeline of events...

Hawthorn players enjoy winning and take selfies together after games.

Jack Ginnivan posts instgram comment with zero reference to Port Adelaide, their coach, players or supporters.

Hawthorn loses cut throat semi-final after Captain James Sicly hits the post from 50 metres out with a minute to go.

Ken Hinkley crosses the line and approaches an opposition playing group to taunt aforementioned 21 year old who NEVER referenced Ken or his side.

Captain James Sicily is forced to stand up for his player, despite the focus needing to be transferred to 300 gamer Luke Breust.

AFL rightly hands down a $20k sanction for Hinkley's deplorable behaviour.

Sam Mitchell answers honestly and with humility in press conference, refusing to lower himself to the immaturity of his opposition coach.

I'm now reading that 'Sam Mitchell and Hawthorn asked for all of this' from multiple people within the footy media.

HOW?!

Quite literally the only thing Hawthorn has any guilt of is their 21 year old player NOT referencing Port Adelaide in an Instagram comment.

I'm actually staggered that people in the media are labelling us the villain in this and supporting Ken Hinkley.

Timeline of events...

Jack Ginnivan posts instgram comment with zero reference to Port Adelaide, their coach, players or supporters.

Hawthorn loses cut throat semi-final after Captain James Sicly hits the post from 50 metres out with a minute to go.

Ken Hinkley crosses the line and approaches an opposition playing group to taunt aforementioned 21 year old who NEVER referenced Ken or his side.

Captain James Sicily is forced to stand up for his player, despite the focus needing to be transferred to 300 gamer Luke Breust.

Sam Mitchell answers honestly and with humility in press conference, refusing to lower himself to the immaturity of his opposition coach.

I'm now reading that 'Sam Mitchell and Hawthorn asked for all of this' from multiple people within the footy media.

HOW?!

Quite literally the only thing Hawthorn has any guilt of is their 21 year old player NOT referencing Port Adelaide in an Instagram comment.
2 important events for this timeline:

After the comment is made, SEN Melbourne runs with it as the headline topic on Monday night via Kane Cornes and keeps it in the news cycle on SEN and channel 9 all week alongside all the other media analysis of the game where they express views suggesting Hawthorn are heavy favourites and that Port Adelaide's issues in the QF have existed all season (David King nailed them for lack of midfield defensive effort on AFL360).

After the game, Ollie Wines is asked specifically about Ginnivan's comment and he confirms it was on the whiteboard but as a club they weren't pleased with all the footy pundits and media coverage writing them off all week.

Timeline of events...

HOW?!

Port accepting a $20K fine with a "no further comments" tells you all you need to know. They knew he crossed the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timeline of events...

HOW?!

A simple explanation. There was a lot of angst about hawthorn in the media and by opposition supporters. There were all holding fire till this moment.

A simple explanation. There was a lot of angst about hawthorn in the media and by opposition supporters. There were all holding fire till this moment.
They all need a lesson in pyschology then, this playing group is just being themselves, pride in their team mates, not afraid of who they are and embracing their own personalities. This is the path to success and enjoying life.
So to all the fools who want to cut us down, live your miserable life you peanuts, suck it up and wollow in your own self pity, don't bring others down to your negative sess pit.

They all need a lesson in pyschology then, this playing group is just being themselves, pride in their team mates, not afraid of who they are and embracing their own personalities. This is the path to success and enjoying life.
So to all the fools who want to cut us down, live your miserable life you peanuts, suck it up and wollow in your own self pity, don't bring others down to your negative sess pit.
That is the world as we know it

That is the world as we know it

Living in the US, where they celebrate people having a good time and feeling confident, it makes me wonder how we let this into our culture.

There's no need to go over the top with ego. But there's no need to rip into people enjoying what they do, as in honestly finding joy in something like playing the game of football.

Timeline of events...

HOW?!

Another important point to note: the instagram post, while unquestionably silly and questionable in intent, was utterly meaningless and unimportant, and was blown out of all imaginable proportion by a clickbait-desperate media, sucking an arseload of people in.

And while I think 'taunting' is a good word to describe what Hinkley did, I thing 'gloating' is even better. He GLOATED after a win. That's about as unprofessional, immature and just plain pathetic as it gets.

And yeah, WE'RE the bad guys???

Only in an AFL world utterly headf*cked by Hawthorn....

"they can give it but can't take" has to be the most moronic reductionist take of this whole situation. Celebrating a goal when you're up by 8 is pretty different to a coach who's just won a final disrespecting a 300 game celebration and trash-talking the opposition instead of celebrating with his own team.

Also - if Ginnivan ends up in Sydney this weekend to watch his friends/ex-teammates play then will the tweet be viewed differently? Cos he will literally be in Sydney 14 days after sending the tweet.

Interesting morning at work today.

Apparently Hawthorn players and Coach went to the media to have a cry about the treatment - we can sledge, but can't take it. Sammy's a sniper and a hypocrite for going at Essendon players previously.

Hawthorn were only able to kick a goal due to the umpiring, Port had to play against 21 and would have won by ten goals with fair umpiring.

We're a bunch of mummy's boys, and got beat up by a team just playing tough football.

After a moment of confusion, I just went to my desk, wondering how Carlton, Kangaroos, Essendon and Collingwood fans could come to those conclusions.

Interesting morning at work today.

Apparently Hawthorn players and Coach went to the media to have a cry about the treatment - we can sledge, but can't take it. Sammy's a sniper and a hypocrite for going at Essendon players previously.

Hawthorn were only able to kick a goal due to the umpiring, Port had to play against 21 and would have won by ten goals with fair umpiring.

We're a bunch of mummy's boys, and got beat up by a team just playing tough football.

After a moment of confusion, I just went to my desk, wondering how Carlton, Kangaroos, Essendon and Collingwood fans could come to those conclusions.
I copped the same.

Saying it was a 5 goal loss with fair umpiring.

I copped the same.

Saying it was a 5 goal loss with fair umpiring.
strangely haven't seen anywhere near as much hate from Port supporters online - almost like they've been down this road of getting to a prelim previously:

Looks Familiar Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Hawthorn have headf***ed everyone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back