Hawthorn may emerge as the new frontrunner for Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I am normally optimistic about us recruiting players from other clubs but have completely no confidence that Dangerfield would
A)choose us
B)that we could pay him enough
C)that we could possibly satisfy the Crows in terms of a trade
D)outbid the crows in terms of cash

Crows would want a top player (Breust or Hill) and a pick inside 5 for sure if they had to trade.

Surely clauses in his contract

Well the cards are held by Adelaide not Dangerfield. Dangerfield has stated he wants a Premiership, money isn't a motivation... but if Hawthorn want him they will have to try their best at a deal that Adelaide won't have a go at matching.

If Danger wants a flag he should go to the Bulldogs, Richmond or West Coast. Any of those clubs with Danger next year would be contenders (if not already).

Not sure I can see us going a Four or Five peat.

Dont rate Sydney or Freo.

Contested possession means an opposition player within 3 or 5m. That is a huge amount of room for top players.

I believe hard ball get is the stat when someone is actually hanging off you.

So 20 CP and 50% efficiency is maybe good or maybe bad. But I do know its a terrible number for our inside mids.

Contested Possessions = Hard Ball Gets + Contested Marks + Free Kicks (excluding ones paid off the ball) + Gathers from a teammate's Hitout to Advantage.

Hard Ball Gets = "A disputed ball at ground level under direct physical pressure that results in an opportunity to effect a legal disposal."

Put simply this is the wrong attitude to have regarding Dangerfield.
To understand where Dangerfield's disposal is at you have to look at his ratio's of contested football vs uncontested when compared to our mids.

..................................CP....................UCP...........DP efficiency
Dangerfield...................16.1..................11.4..........64.5%
Mitchell........................10.5..................20.4..........75.1%
Lewis...........................9.8....................20.0..........70.5%

As you can see Dangerfields possessions are in the contested majority, Our mid's its heavily in the uncontested range....these ratio's clearly have an effect on the disposal efficiency.
He's getting more football in a contested situation than our mids which is more prone to error, and less uncontested possessions than our mids which inflate our mids disposal efficiency.

Last edited:

So the ball is rarely contested in our games? Or should you be looking at Shiels instead? Maybe even Roughie when in the middle..

No, I just think we have so many players that can win there own ball that its shared around instead of having to rely upon 1 or 2 players.
To play an uncontested style of play you still have to win the footy, that comes from contested play or turnovers from the opposition.

The two players I mentioned are out best contested ball winning midfielders currently playing according to avgs.
Shiels avg 7.7 CP's a game. Roughead is hard to measure because he plays the majority in the forward line.

No, I just think we have so many players that can win there own ball that its shared around instead of having to rely upon 1 or 2 players.
To play an uncontested style of play you still have to win the footy, that comes from contested play or turnovers from the opposition.

The two players I mentioned are out best contested ball winning midfielders currently playing according to avgs.
Shiels avg 7.7 CP's a game. Roughead is hard to measure because he plays the majority in the forward line.

Who will it be shared between when Hodge & Mitchell hang up their boots?

So the ball is rarely contested in our games? Or should you be looking at Shiels instead? Maybe even Roughie when in the middle..

One of the problems with contested possessions is the way they are accumulated: some of them mean the player gets his team moving forward, a lot don't.

For example: Josh Kennedy is in a pack, gets the ball while tackled handpasses to another player, he gets tackled, gets it back to Kennedy, he gets tackled, handpasses to someone else, etc. The ball may go nowhere and end up in a ball up, but Josh Kennedy may get 3 or 4 contested possessions in about 10 seconds of nothing.
Our Will Langford is the same, he can accumulate numbers of contested possessions without much effect on the game.

I suspect that Dangerfield is the same.

One of the problems with contested possessions is the way they are accumulated: some of them mean the player gets his team moving forward, a lot don't.

For example: Josh Kennedy is in a pack, gets the ball while tackled handpasses to another player, he gets tackled, gets it back to Kennedy, he gets tackled, handpasses to someone else, etc. The ball may go nowhere and end up in a ball up, but Josh Kennedy may get 3 or 4 contested possessions in about 10 seconds of nothing.
Our Will Langford is the same, he can accumulate numbers of contested possessions without much effect on the game.

I suspect that Dangerfield is the same.

Langford alot of times doesn't get rid of the ball when tackled. Dangerfield has the body to break out of the tackle or get the handball out

'Kick alright' that's an appropriate term! If we pay a guy what he will demand the way we play requires a gun mid to kick better than alright.
Don't get me wrong he's a great player, if he would come on our terms great but that won't happen.
I just keep thinking what has happened to Syd could happen to us if we pay overs for one gun!
Fine...would be perfect timing for us to hit the draft after we landed Danger

Him taking it out of a ruck contest running through everyone and kicking a goal would look pretty nice in brown and gold
What about him burning the ball regularly. One of those players that is sensational to watch but part of how good he is is myth.

Fine...would be perfect timing for us to hit the draft after we landed Danger
Clarko said at the function last night that the Hawks have not been able to match other offers that are on the Danger table. So if he comes over it will because he wants to be part of our success, not for money.

As Clarko said, if Hawthorn was ever going to buckle on its policy of not having a big disparity in payments it would have been with Buddy. Was very strong on the idea that we will not pay "overs" for anyone. The rewards will be shared proportionately over the whole list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko said at the function last night that the Hawks have not been able to match other offers that are on the Danger table. So if he comes over it will because he wants to be part of our success, not for money.

As Clarko said, if Hawthorn was ever going to buckle on its policy of not having a big disparity in payments it would have been with Buddy. Was very strong on the idea that we will not pay "overs" for anyone. The rewards will be shared proportionately over the whole list.

No one in their right mind would have matched Buddy's inter-generational contract.

What about him burning the ball regularly. One of those players that is sensational to watch but part of how good he is is myth.
I don't think he's the best player in the league but I stand by my comment any player kicking a goal is instantly 1500% better looking doing it in brown and gold

So we are putting an offer to him then?

Didn't think we'd ever pay overs. What we offer can't be bought anyway. If Dangerfield wants to be here then he'll get here and it won't be for huge money. It will probably mean we trade Adelaide something though.

So we are putting an offer to him then?

Didn't think we'd ever pay overs. What we offer can't be bought anyway. If Dangerfield wants to be here then he'll get here and it won't be for huge money. It will probably mean we trade Adelaide something though.

You would think everyone would make some sort of offer. But it will be interesting to see where he ends up, because Clarko has basically said that anywhere else he goes is for the $$$.

Do you think that if we won this year, we might go all out to try and get Dangerfield so we could try and squeeze one more premiership out of the team and equal Collingwoods record?
Pretty out there hypothetical, I know.

Yarran's your man. Deadly trio of him, Cyril and Hill would make the original three amigos look like the three stooges. And have Burgoyne mentor him all the while, ready to take over his role when he is done.

Your first rounder and Jack Gunston would get it done.
I think you might be on to something here :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn may emerge as the new frontrunner for Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back