nic_rox13 said:
2005, port, saints, or geelong
2006, hawks propably 9 - 12
2007, maybe the top 8 possibly
2008, still top 8 if lucky
2009, we could maybe win that premiership
2010, we got it i reckon
I reckon '06 will be 12-16

But other then that I think your on track, but alot can happen.

2006 we'll probably make the top 8. This year i reckon we might finish mid-table maybe 10th or 11th. For the premiership though i think we might need at least another 3-4 years.

No offence there but I reckon you're getting a bit ahead of yourself tippin us for the flag in 2010.
A week is a long time in footy let alone 5 years!

Who is to say we wont unearth the next Buckley, Hird, Judd or Ricciuto @ one of the next couple of drafts (not sayin we will but anythin is poss.) Guys like that can make a big diff to footy sides and on top of that if 2 or even 3 of the young kids we drafted this year turn out to be strong AFL players then this side could be in business anytime in the next 5 years.

In all honesty I agree with those who said we have about 3 or 4 years of hurt before we can even begin thinkin' about being the glamour club of the AFL again. But, one thing's for sure, I'll live through the hurt for my beloved Hawkers!

Jaxxxon said:
But, one thing's for sure, I'll live through the hurt for my beloved Hawkers!

Same here, Jaxxxon, and welcome.

Welcome Jaxxxon. Good to welcome another Hawk into the nest. IMO this about the timeline the mighty Hawks will be looking at:
2005:14-16th
2006:11-14th
2007:Start to challenge for a spot in the 8. 6-10
2008:Becoming a genuine power, 3-4
2009 and beyond: The dynasty begins again, premiers.
As someone else said though, is all guesswork and a few years is a very long time in football. Anything could happen.

OneEyedHawk said:
Welcome Jaxxxon. Good to welcome another Hawk into the nest.

Thanks champ!

Progression is never a steady thing in our beloved game, it's hard to say we'll do this then next year we'll be 3 positions better and this will continue for X amount of years.

Must remember that in our great game injuries and player management are the most crucial elements to success after Talent itself.

It's no good having the best players in the league if you mismanage them to the point where they are injured and miss 10-15 games of the season. A bad run of injuries can see a club drop from top 4 to as drastic as bottom 4 extremely quickly (As we know so well :( )

I'm not going to stick my neck out and say we will do this this and this BECAUSE in reality if our club stays injury free for the most part this year, our stars perform at their best and second tier players take the valuable next step and provide support to our mainstays then our club can genuinely challenge for one of the last two spots in the eight in my opinion.

I have faith in Clarko and I like the approach he has taken with our club (as he did with one of the local sides over here) and I expect great things once more from our beloved club.

After all that however I do expect 3 years of pain as i have my head firmly screwed on and I can see that only in the rarest of cases do your younger players stand up and show their full potential straight away and my mind says we have two years of bottom 4-6 finishes followed by one or two years of bottom 8 finishes. My heart on the other hand says we'll win the flag this year and every year that follows :D

Jaxxxon said:
Thanks champ!

Progression is never a steady thing in our beloved game, it's hard to say we'll do this then next year we'll be 3 positions better and this will continue for X amount of years.

Must remember that in our great game injuries and player management are the most crucial elements to success after Talent itself.

It's no good having the best players in the league if you mismanage them to the point where they are injured and miss 10-15 games of the season. A bad run of injuries can see a club drop from top 4 to as drastic as bottom 4 extremely quickly (As we know so well :( )

I'm not going to stick my neck out and say we will do this this and this BECAUSE in reality if our club stays injury free for the most part this year, our stars perform at their best and second tier players take the valuable next step and provide support to our mainstays then our club can genuinely challenge for one of the last two spots in the eight in my opinion.

I have faith in Clarko and I like the approach he has taken with our club (as he did with one of the local sides over here) and I expect great things once more from our beloved club.

Good stuff Jaxxxon!! Another Hawk from South Australia. Good stuff.

OneEyedHawk said:
As someone else said though, is all guesswork and a few years is a very long time in football. Anything could happen.

Yes its is guesswork, OneEyedHawk. who would have guessed at the beginning of the 2004 season that a pathetic almost financially broke Carlton would have advanced up the ladder from second last position in 2003 (4 wins, 18 losses) to 11th (10 wins 12 losses) at the end of last season (recalling that the Blues were thinking they had a slim chance of actually making the eight - around about round 18).

And to think the Dark Navy's rise up the ladder was gained with a hybrid team made up from many discards from other clubs including three former unwanted Hawks.

So anything is possible. For what it is worth (and it is guessing, OEH), I have posted this forecast before, my crystal ball shows us at 10th come 2005 season's end. Mind you, after guzzling some stubbies of XXXX my crystal ball gets a bit fuzzy. It was last year at the time when Swabby's prediction was possible premiers 2004.

If Swabby's ill-fated predicition led to a 15th place finish, I think we should all encourage AC to come out and predict his brood are set to finish in the bottom four in 2005!
If confidence can lead to disappointment, then maybe a lack of same can lead to a shocking surprise! LOL
In all honesty, I think the Hawks will finish 11th or 12th this season. That would be a pleasant surprise for many. For me, finishing 10th or higher would be a good result, encouraging promise for the future. Finishing 13th or lower would be a bit of a let down because I believe our list is capable of better things. A spoon would truly be a major disappointment. It would also deprive the Tigers of the encore they so richly deserve!

LoneStar said:
If Swabby's ill-fated predicition led to a 15th place finish
Then Clarkson will have to predict that we'll win the next ten premierships just so we can make the eight. :p

Seriously, we just gotta have faith and stick by them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaxxxon said:
Thanks champ!

After all that however I do expect 3 years of pain as i have my head firmly screwed on and I can see that only in the rarest of cases do your younger players stand up and show their full potential straight away and my mind says we have two years of bottom 4-6 finishes followed by one or two years of bottom 8 finishes. My heart on the other hand says we'll win the flag this year and every year that follows :D

couldnt have said it better myself
7th 2 8th is not outa the question with dream run with injuries
realistic though , bottom 4 beckons if our injuries anything like the last 3 years

I think Brisbane is not going to win another premiership for a while, so the field will be open again. I don't think the Hawks have a chance now, and the first year we could conceivably win it is '07. Gone are the days of five-year plans, three years is about all teams need these days. If all goes well.

Hey all, i am new here.. i have had a few quick posts, but never actuallysaid hello!... i think itll be awesome if we can get another premier ship with in the next 10 years :)

ELfooty said:
Hey all, i am new here.. i have had a few quick posts, but never actuallysaid hello!... i think itll be awesome if we can get another premier ship with in the next 10 years :)
Welcome to the nest ELfooty! Don't worry about the mighty Hawks. Come probably 2006/2007 the sleeping giant will awaken.

Remove this Banner Ad

hawthorn next premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back