News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks did what they had to do by the rules of the AFL.
Correct. For reference below, once the HFC had the report outlining serious allegations they were duty bound by the AFL’s protocol to hand over the report to the AFL integrity unit.

I will pin this post, as it seems to be a constant query.

3FB2C172-49CC-4619-8AE6-C93597A89870.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if the club is cleared, I dare say the HFC will be suing the ABC and other media outlets to the hilt?

Dare say if the club was cleared we would just leave it at that and save more legal expenses and be glad the ordeal is over.

Dare say if the club was cleared we would just leave it at that and save more legal expenses and be glad the ordeal is over.

The club has offered compensation so this in itself means that the club has conceded that it has done something wrong. Not sure the club can be "cleared".

The club has offered compensation so this in itself means that the club has conceded that it has done something wrong. Not sure the club can be "cleared".

I’m pretty sure one reason the compensation was rejected previously was because the club offered the compensation without admission of fault, ie, go away money. If something is announced today, it will almost certainly be on the same condition only for more money (assuming the cost of defending the club has increased with the costs of court).

I don’t really see this getting to court. A settlement will be made.
I'm not sure now. Going to court would finally let the claims be examined, perhaps the club wants that. Lance the boil etc.

Cleverer folks than me can explain to me what effect it has on the case now it's directed solely at the club and not Clarko, Fagan and Burt. It started out very much directed at them personally.

If it's just the club as a defendant it's easier to resolve. Reportedly one of the major issues with the mediation was that the accusers wanted an admission and apology for what they allege AND an admission it was racist.

If Hawthorn was to do that, they'd be essentially making an accusation on those coaches and damaging their reputation.

I think the coaches were willing to admit that their actions were hurtful and they may have stepped over boundaries, but maintain that 1. there was no racism involved in their actions. 2. they believed they were acting in the best interests of the player and club.

They also dispute some of the alleged facts, like who was in meeting, who said what, did they change phone, their message was misunderstood.

I'm in favour of letting the chips fall where they may. This matter needs clarity so that we can all move on. I do not believe that the club should payout compensation to simply make something go away especially if its believes it did nothing wrong. And if it has done something wrong then pay up.

So if the club is cleared, I dare say the HFC will be suing the ABC and other media outlets to the hilt?
This doesn’t have a recent history of backfiring at all for people suing the media outlets.

I dare say the club just wants to move on from this. Not fan the flames of it.

Court: Federal Court of Australia, Victoria Registry
Number: VID728/2024
Title: CYRIL RIOLI & ORS v HAWTHORN FOOTBALL CLUB LTD
Filing Date: 26-Jul-2024

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And my point is, even if the claimants lose in court, still offer the same settlement afterwards in good faith.
If that eventuates then good faith would be not asking for an award of costs.

Suspect after the lawyers get rich, there will.be a pre verdict negotiated settlement and the facts will never be known. Lots of stress all round and the best we can hope is improvements are made.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If that eventuates then good faith would be not asking for an award of costs.

Suspect after the lawyers get rich, there will.be a pre verdict negotiated settlement and the facts will never be known. Lots of stress all round and the best we can hope is improvements are made.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think you'll find that there a more than a few past and present indigenous players that think we have a great environment.
Everyone can always improve at something, don't know that being sued in federal court is the standard course to getting there.

Players vs HFC, it would be a shame if industrial improvements aren’t an outcome these families have also sought. Some, immediately achievable, Collingwood as an example. Not sure how it is achieved.

Responding to an earlier comment, I think HFC have a way to go and an Indigenous player may say they are happy but do they mean it. I can see differences we have with Collingwood and other clubs with an Indigenous Board member or just staff across the club, reflective of society(one example). Coaches also. Most clubs are probably a work in progress to different degrees. Not after perfection, achievable as per a suitable RAP.

Responding to an earlier comment, I think HFC have a way to go and an Indigenous player may say they are happy but do they mean it.

You've got to be absolutely ****ing kidding me right?
You think Impey came to us because the other indigenous boys before him told him we had a shit culture for our Aboriginal players?
You think he's stayed but unhappy?
You believe Amon came to us, Wingard before him, and have stayed though they are unhappy?
That they feel that way yet wouldn't speak up about their brothers 'obvious' sufferings at the hand of Hawthorn employees?

Seriously mate, you have worked so hard in this thread to maintain the problem is with Hawthorn it's farcical.
I hope this goes into an open court, that the plaintiffs have to name their issues, and that all parties have the chance to respond.

I also now believe it's highly unlikely Cyril ever reconciles with the Hawthorn Football Club in any serious fashion.
You can't sue your Club and then act like all is good. Especially when the Club has already attempted to find remedy and those accused of wrongdoing are no longer even employed.
When a teammate who is now coach has tried to reach out, more than once, more than twice........

Absolutely tragic in every ****ing way.

You've got to be absolutely ****ing kidding me right?
You think Impey came to us because the other indigenous boys before him told him we had a shit culture for our Aboriginal players?
You think he's stayed but unhappy?
You believe Amon came to us, Wingard before him, and have stayed though they are unhappy?
That they feel that way yet wouldn't speak up about their brothers obvious sufferings at the hand of Hawthorn employees?

Seriously mate, you have worked so hard in this thread to maintain the problem is with Hawthorn it's farcical.
I hope this goes into an open court, that the plaintiffs have to name their issues, and that all parties have the chance to respond.

I also now believe it's highly unlikely Cyril ever reconciles with the Hawthorn Football Club in any serious fashion.
You can't sue your Club and then act like all is good. Especially when the Club has already attempted to find remedy and those accused of wrongdoing are no longer even employed.
When a teammate who is now coach has tried to reach out, more than once, more than twice........

Absolutely tragic in every ****ing way.
I was so sure you wouldn’t flinch, you did, for all to see. 😉

Indigenous, capital I.

Sorry Cyril is making you unhappy.

I hope you find an Indigenous person in your life, eventually find their trust and hear their Truth. You may know one, there is a reason they haven’t told you.

I wonder why the Indigenous players still are always hanging around with each other? They don’t always come from the same area, probably rare.

(Oh I wish I could talk, and no, it ain’t happening here).

PS I haven’t missed on the coaches, get reading.

I was so sure you wouldn’t flinch, you did, for all to see. 😉

Indigenous, capital I.

Sorry Cyril is making you unhappy.

I hope you find an Indigenous person in your life, eventually find their trust and hear their Truth. You may know one, there is a reason they haven’t told you.

I wonder why the Indigenous players still are always hanging around with each other? They don’t always come from the same area, probably rare.

(Oh I wish I could talk, and no, it ain’t happening here).

PS I haven’t missed on the coaches, get reading.

Oh, Cyril making me far more than unhappy.
I'm heartbroken for him, the Club, and its supporters.
I'm desperate to hear their truth.
Let the world know I say.

Edit:

Oh, and you absolute tosser.
From Merriam to your ears.
Though I'm sure you'll reach out to them requesting they find an indigenous person in their lives to hear the truth of the matter....

indigenous adjective​

Indigenous or less commonly indigenous: of or relating to the earliest known inhabitants of a place and especially of a place that was colonized by a now-dominant group

Last edited:
Yup, Cyril making me far more than unhappy.
I'm heartbroken for him, the Club, and its supporters.
I'm desperate to hear their truth.
Let the world know I say.
Not uncommon for former and current staff to talk or support each other. Connection is very, very deep and lasting. Public is different to private. The three players all knew each other at PA and in the system for some time.

Cut throat industry, never going to earn like they do, again. Most on here would become ‘yes men’ to preserve 500k a year.

True, no club is terrible(we hope). Doesn’t mean things happening today aren’t well meaning and hurtful, even in small ways. The industry has reacted, a better approach is preventative, no?

This whole thing is incredibly heartbreaking and draining for all involved.

If we get to hear their Truth, I look forward to it.

I wrote what I did as I listen and still do, I don’t want a repeat. Am as invested in HFC as most.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Back