Hawthorn to play finals in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep playing the way they’re playing and they’re every chance to. Their comparatively poorer percentage to the other teams around them may mean that they’ll need to snag an extra win which could be an issue.
Everyone keeps making a big deal about our poor percentage as though that will be the stumbling block, but it's the wins & losses which will determine whether the Hawks play finals. We're going to need 'X' number of wins to climb above the Dees, Suns, Dogs and Freo. We'll either win enough games or we won't.

If those other teams finish on 12 or 12.5 wins, then we'll require 13 wins.

¯\(ツ)

Although the footy gods will probably make us pay for coughing up 2 goals to Port Adelaide in the final 20 seconds
I'll be gutted all over again if we finish level with Port and miss out on the Top 8 by percentage. :D

Last edited:
Since the beloved tanking thread is off the main page will have to post here.

Thought Ginnivan played a good game on the weekend, tried his ducking thing, didn't get paid so then decided to play football instead.

For finals I would be concerned by having to rely on Chol as a pack marking target.

Thought Ginnivan played a good game on the weekend, tried his ducking thing, didn't get paid so then decided to play football instead.

For finals I would be concerned by having to rely on Chol as a pack marking target.
Lewis is hopefully back after the bye, played a half in the VFL on the weekend.
Chol did have a couple of poor marking contests in the 2nd but was decent overall.
The interesting one will be Dear or Gunston later in the season. Dear does compete constantly in those packs but Gunston has 3 or 4 betters games than Dear has had this season, yet his worst games have also been worse than Dear's worst

Lewis is hopefully back after the bye, played a half in the VFL on the weekend.
Chol did have a couple of poor marking contests in the 2nd but was decent overall.
The interesting one will be Dear or Gunston later in the season. Dear does compete constantly in those packs but Gunston has 3 or 4 betters games than Dear has had this season, yet his worst games have also been worse than Dear's worst

Chol was good on the weekend, but Richmond defenders did not seem interested in chasing him, got out the back a few times.

We've got such a good mosquito fleet building that so long as he and Dear get it to ground we're in it with a chance.

Lewis is our great white hope. If he can get fit and stay fit he it will make or break our chances for finals this year.

Realistically we would probably need to win 6 of our 9 games. Probably 7 given our percentage. I can't see it happening but regardless of the result at the end of the day this season has been a success already.

We've got such a good mosquito fleet building that so long as he and Dear get it to ground we're in it with a chance.

Lewis is our great white hope. If he can get fit and stay fit he it will make or break our chances for finals this year.

Realistically we would probably need to win 6 of our 9 games. Probably 7 given our percentage. I can't see it happening but regardless of the result at the end of the day this season has been a success already.

Hawthorn's percentage after round 7 when the Hawks were 1-6 was 69.9%. Seven games later the Hawks are 7-7 with a percentage of 92.7%. If we win six of the nine remaining games, our percentage will be somewhere around 114%. There will be no percentage issue for finals if the Hawks make it.

Hawthorn's percentage after round 7 when the Hawks were 1-6 was 69.9%. Seven games later the Hawks are 7-7 with a percentage of 92.7%. If we win six of the nine remaining games, our percentage will be somewhere around 114%. There will be no percentage issue for finals if the Hawks make it.

In table form - our % (Overall, and since that round).

RoundHawOppOverall %% Since Rd
1​
83​
107​
77.57%​
93.06%​
2​
38​
93​
60.50%​
94.58%​
3​
70​
106​
62.42%​
99.60%​
4​
72​
77​
68.67%​
103.60%​
5​
56​
109​
64.84%​
104.55%​
6​
113​
68​
77.14%​
112.78%​
7​
42​
118​
69.91%​
107.08%​
8​
98​
91​
74.38%​
123.36%​
9​
73​
64​
77.43%​
126.70%​
10​
79​
80​
79.30%​
128.93%​
11​
100​
75​
83.40%​
137.46%​
12​
107​
80​
87.17%​
138.94%​
13​
85​
79​
88.58%​
142.19%​
14​
97​
49​
93.06%​
197.96%​

After Rd.7 we are at 123%. Keep that up for the last nine games and we will end up around 105%.
After Rd.6 we are at 107%. At that rate we will still be <100%.

The issue with percentage will be non existent with other top 8 sides being similar by end of season, 100-110%. With games being possible boosters around North, West Coast, Freo in Tassie, Richmond etc and just maintaining winning, it’ll end around 110-115.

The issue with percentage will be non existent with other top 8 sides being similar by end of season, 100-110%. With games being possible boosters around North, West Coast, Freo in Tassie, Richmond etc and just maintaining winning, it’ll end around 110-115.
I don't reckon all of them will be as easy as we hope. Especially West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back