Preview Hawthorn Training Thursday 18 August

Remove this Banner Ad

All 22 Hawthorn players from last weeks big win over Port Adelaide trained today along with 6 other senior players.

The other 6:
Cheney
Ellis
Savage
Osborne
Ladson
and Lisle.

45 minute session. Did a little bit more than they usually do before game day including moving the ball from end to end.

Clarko held a press conference. When I arrived he was being asked about Brent Renouf. Clarko said he had been training for the last three weeks and will either play this weekend for Box Hill or next.

Then asked about Leon Cameron and he said he had all the attributes to be a successful AFL senior coach but at the moment is a required member of the assistant coaching staff.

At the end they introduced this weeks fan to the players who grouped in a huddle to listen to a short speech by this week's number one fan and she was then presented with a Hawks number 1 jumper.

Awesome report Rusty, great news that most of the guys are healthy.

Was it a pretty relaxed session for the cameras or were they chomping at the bit in anticipation for a Friday night blockbuster? Was Sewell restricted in any way?

Nev, the guys seemed keen as mustard and in pretty tip top form.

Re Sewelly, glad to report
a) no bandages
b) no restrictions
c) ended the session as he always seems to now do, working with David Hale. Hale throws the ball up and taps it to Sewelly running past who gathers and handballs back for Hale to turn and tap in another direction. Have seen these 2 working after the drills have finished before...good to see.

Another training point - moving the ball end to end, in the forward fifty (in that wonderful space we like to mark) the boys did not mark but practised the ball being spilt in a contest and swooping on the loose ball and kicking the goal. Seem to think Carltank might be doubling up on Buddy so the if they do....goals and lots of them will be the result. ;)

Cheers for the report mate. Sounds like we are giving everyone a shot at playing this week. It's nice to have some serious depth and not be running with depleted stocks. Any indication of who might get a call up? Great news on Sewelly :)

Not sure why but Savage has virtually never looked any good at Box Hill. He is AFL standard though, plays better at Hawthorn.

I was thinking of this earlier. Perhaps Savage was told not to go hammer and tongs so he could pull up alright with the short break.

Haha, when are players ever given that order?

"Listen, kiddo... We're gonna need you to have a quite game. Get your 9 possessions and call it a day. Can you do that for me, Champ?" :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, when are players ever given that order?

"Listen, kiddo... We're gonna need you to have a quite game. Get your 9 possessions and call it a day. Can you do that for me, Champ?" :D

If they wanted him to play this week for a particular purpose they may have told him to make sure he got through the game which could have impacted on his performance. Just a thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back