superstar

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Awful game. Crap opposition. Worse umpiring (both ways). And an even worse performance from the Hawks. Just a terrible game of footy and a very disappointing result. Collingwood put on a monster flood and with no tall forward to kick to, we drowned in it. We looked flat and I called at 3/4 that we were gone. Nevertheless, Subiaco hangover or not, we should not be losing to sides of Collingwood's calibre. Simple as that.

I apologise for the negative review but i'm very unhappy with the game today.

Everitt - Good. The poor bugger ran himself into the ground and was very short on for support. First class tap work, though he was guilty of over-possessing the footy around the ground. 6/10

Hay - Difficult to read some of the key defenders games as they were switched around on Tarrant and Cloke throughout. Not too many kicked on him, but zero impact the other way. 5/10

Mitchell - Yeah, he goes alright. 39 touches. 18 clearances. 8/10

Williams - Another lazy 5. Any word on his injury? Of vital importance, though our over-reliance on him to kick goals led to the over-use of the footy today. 7/10

Osborne - ********ing ********. 0/10

Jacobs - Nah. 2/10

Crawford - He was guilty of over-using the footy but his workrate which phenomenal. Some of his running efforts today were just amazing and for that he deserves a big pat on the back. 7/10

Bateman - Worked hard, got 20 odd touches but had limited impact on the game. 5/10

Smith - See Osborne. Horribly out of touch, and as our Vice-Captain we should expect more. 1/10

Hodge - Led the game in contested possessions. Took several contested marks. 19 effective kicks. A crucial running goal. All in all, another fine performance from a very accomplished young footballer. 8/10

Ries - Stamp his papers - "Not AFL standard". Good luck in any future endeavours. 1/10

Brennan - Time for some kicking lessons. Excellent hands, truly excellent. Decision making and foot skills were woeful. Truly woeful. 3/10

Ladson - Terrible. Turned it over all day, over-used the ball and basically contributed nothing positive to the side. 1/10

Dixon - Servicable. Presented well early on but faded. Our rubbish over-use of the footy didn't suit. 5/10

Vandenberg - See Osborne. He could have at least hit someone. 1/10

Croad - Not his best day. Seemed to do ok on most opponent and got plenty of touches, but the effectiveness of them was not high. 5/10

Clarke - Very good. It's a sad state of affairs when Tim Clarke is your second best exponent by foot (I think we all know who #1 is!) but today that was the case. Actually set up four set shots on goal today with some very clever disposal. Typically accountable playing on Rhyce Shaw. 7/10

Brown - Terrible. He's got a few runs on the board this year but Browny put in a stinker today, getting thoroughly thrashed by Caracella. Flew for marks instead of staying down and allowed his opponent far too much space. 1/10

Roughhead - Doesn't have a role in the side right now and needs some time at Box Hill. 1/10

Franklin - His typical mixed bag. Made some dumb decisions that resulted in free kicks but must be commended on his defensive efforts which resulted in two goals from holding the ball frees. Needs to hold on to a few more marks as he's grassing a few at the moment. 5/10

Taylor - Not his day. One nice piece of ruckwork resulted in a Mitchell goal but otherwise unsighted and incapable of giving Everitt the required rest. 1/10

Lewis - Pretty good. He's got skill and genuine aggro and needs to be given more opportunity. I'd like to see him spend some time up forward where both of those could be used to effect. Good game today. 6/10

superstar said:
Awful game. Crap opposition. Worse umpiring (both ways). And an even worse performance from the Hawks. Just a terrible game of footy and a very disappointing result. Collingwood put on a monster flood and with no tall forward to kick to, we drowned in it. We looked flat and I called at 3/4 that we were gone. Nevertheless, Subiaco hangover or not, we should not be losing to sides of Collingwood's calibre. Simple as that.

I apologise for the negative review but i'm very unhappy with the game today.

Don't apologise, you are spot on. Today's performance is unacceptable to those of us who refuse to accept mediocrity. There's no excuses for the way we played today, a number of our players need to decide if they really want to be AFL footballers or not, and they need to do it quickly.

Bit harsh on Jaccobs superstar.. if you give hay 5 i'd give jaccobs 5 . He didn't do much wrong at all.. did a few nice things too.

Bateman broke the lines well and was important for us, thought he did some good things.

You are spot on with Taylor, Smith, Osborne, Brown, Ladson, Roughead, Ries gave us absolutely nothing.....

Forgotten how bad a loss feels...... no more please!

Never liked the idea of dropping Greene for Ries, although it sounds like it wouldn't have changed much on today's effort.

Fair points all SS.

However being 'not happy' is something that can be of benefit providing we learn from it.

Short summation, we need more quality and a more even spread of contributors to the team.

That's not going to happen until the *broken record time* kids get the 40/50 games up, Clarkson gets a season or two of learning, that a few more quality youngsters get drafted and that the clean out gets...

You know the drill by now. ;)

Cheers.

we lost the game in the first 10 - 15 minutes of the last quarter ..
i have never seen anything like it , i was sitting in the stand right above the goals collingwood kicked to in the last and had a birds eye view of the horror ..i was absolutely mortified by what i saw .. sideways kicking back and forth across the face of goal inside 50 continuously until we inevitably coughed it up and collingwood went bang goal ...
surely clarkson could not be happy with that style of play ..
surely we didnt do that when we beat freo and melbourne in the last fortnight...
what happened...?

i thought hodge did well for us again , thats 5 games in a row of 30+ possesions , judd has never got more than two in a row , i think harvey has the record of about 10 but he's a freak ...

williams tried his best , some of the deliveries were just to high , they need to be low all the time , ala jarman and platten to dunstall .. willo is small and everything that was given to him above shoulder height was spoiled .. if we give it to him low his speed on the leed will get him the chest mark and this bloke is one of the most accurate kicks at goal i have seen... his conversion rate is pretty good..he will kick us goal after goal if we deliver right ..
i know we still need a tall marking forward , but for this year we have to play to what we've got .. we've got a good , ball winning midfield , top 5 in the comp , drill willo's chest ...

Thanks for another great review SS. You were very unhappy with half our team yesterday. However, I ask the following questions (shown in red)?

Osborne - ********ing ********. 0/10
Replace with whom?

Jacobs - Nah. 2/10
Replace with whom?

Smith - See Osborne. Horribly out of touch, and as our Vice-Captain we shouldexpect more. 1/10
Replace with whom?

Ries - Stamp his papers - "Not AFL standard". Good luck in any future endeavours. 1/10
Replace with whom?

Brennan - Time for some kicking lessons. Excellent hands, truly excellent. Decision making and foot skills were woeful. Truly woeful. 3/10
Replace with whom?

Ladson - Terrible. Turned it over all day, over-used the ball and basically contributed nothing positive to the side. 1/10
Replace with whom?

Vandenberg - See Osborne. He could have at least hit someone. 1/10
Replace with whom?

Brown - Terrible. He's got a few runs on the board this year but Browny put in a stinker today, getting thoroughly thrashed by Caracella. Flew for marks instead of staying down and allowed his opponent far too much space. 1/10
Replace with whom?

Roughhead - Doesn't have a role in the side right now and needs some time at Box Hill. 1/10
Replace with whom?

Taylor - Not his day. One nice piece of ruckwork resulted in a Mitchell goal but otherwise unsighted and incapable of giving Everitt the required rest. 1/10
Replace with whom?

In most cases Gary i'd like them to be replaced with nothing but a reversal in form.

Brown has plenty of runs on the board so he's safe as a house. They're all entitled to one shocker. He'll bounce back.

Osborne, Jacobs, Smith and Vandenberg will get more chances but repeat efforts like that cannot be tolerated. Ossie is the only one who has been adequate most weeks, the other three are really struggling for form.

Brennan should be persevered with for now but his kicking needs work. There is no replacement for Taylor and that is a concern.

Ries, Ladson and Roughhead would be the ones in the gun. I haven't seen Box Hill of late but the likes of Greene, Miller, Boyle and even Barker (played this week?) might be due for a re-call.

Don't think SS is saying that all of them need to be dropped Gary, just that (fwiw agree with most of it) quite a few had poor games.

I'm sure that the players named will know their own contributions were'nt good enough and I'm also pretty sure that the coach will let them know. I also think the coach himself would acknowledge some mistakes (early match-ups.. Jacobs/Cloke for instance) were wrong and put us behind the eight ball to start off with.

Chalk it down to a bad day at the office but at least look at it objectively and find out why it was so. Trial and error and something about not learning from mistakes?

We got a lesson so lets learn from it.

Leafie said:
lol the guy who says lift in the cheer squad who is that idiot, i see him every week
Dont laugh the idiot from Collingwood has got his head in an RACV add
Its like Forest Gump imitating life

i agree that the match - ups looked completely wrong n it worked out that way unfortunately.

Brown and Osborne who have been in Hawthorn's top 10 players all season had shockers, but Jacobs shoulda playd on Caracella, same kind of body, and maybe Brownys boy taken Didak?

I think this week Roughie could do with a rest, his played about 6 matches now this season and hasnt set the world alight but has shown enuf, i think he needs a fornight at box hill to get sum game time and form and then bring him back. Maybe Lance Buddy Franklin could do with a rest from afl level too.
i dont think we'll c Josh Thurgood much more this year, he needs to bulk up for next season and then he could be rele good. He will be good.

Brennan is going ok, he'll get some more matches to prove himself, just needs to work on his kicking!

Ladson is getin the ball just needs to find the target more often, whilst we need our backmen like Jonny Hay and Joel Smith to stand up, its their time to shine.

Taylor struggled on weekend, after some encourgaing performances, not enuf game time and struggled in the ruck.... maybe rest him for a week, but need someone to replace him? Dutchy?

Jacobs is improving and i think he'll be a solid 3rd or 4th man in defense. didnt do much wrong on weekend tried a few things, sometimes they worked sometimes they didnt.

Vandenberg is working so hard, but his form hasnt been good, last 3 seasons his been great, struggling this season, but is a good leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your reply superstar (hope you don't think I'm a smart-ass but I'm as concerned as you are).

In most cases Gary i'd like them to be replaced with nothing but a reversal in form.
Agree

Brown has plenty of runs on the board so he's safe as a house. They're all entitled to one shocker. He'll bounce back.
Agree

Osborne, Jacobs, Smith and Vandenberg will get more chances but repeat efforts like that cannot be tolerated. Ossie is the only one who has been adequate most weeks, the other three are really struggling for form.
Agree

Brennan should be persevered with for now but his kicking needs work. There is no replacement for Taylor and that is a concern.
Agree

Ries, Ladson and Roughhead would be the ones in the gun. I haven't seen Box Hill of late but the likes of Greene, Miller, Boyle and even Barker (played this week?) might be due for a re-call.
Agree

Looking forward to next week's review, SS.

Agree

Vandenberg had a shocker. I like Vanders but, it sheds more light on the Everitt V Vandenberg for captain debate. If you take over captaincy (especially from one of the best captains in the game) consistency is mandatory.

Grendel said:
Don't think SS is saying that all of them need to be dropped Gary, just that (fwiw agree with most of it) quite a few had poor games.
It might have appeared something I was inferring, Gren, ... I certainly didn't have a take on SS saying that all of those he gave low marks should be dropped. My point is I believe all fans should be patient (and it comes through to me SS is but many are not holding on too well to the rough ride of our redevelopment). Geez, mate I am enjoying this season so much better than the last two irrespective of our so many close losses. I don't accept the latter by any means .... but that's life (no apologies to that creep Hinch).
Grendel said:
I'm sure that the players named will know their own contributions were'nt good enough and I'm also pretty sure that the coach will let them know. I also think the coach himself would acknowledge some mistakes (early match-ups.. Jacobs/Cloke for instance) were wrong and put us behind the eight ball to start off with.

Chalk it down to a bad day at the office but at least look at it objectively and find out why it was so. Trial and error and something about not learning from mistakes?

We got a lesson so lets learn from it.
Agee totally, Gren.

lasher said:
williams tried his best , some of the deliveries were just to high , they need to be low all the time ,
I'd say that the skill errors here cost us the most in the period we dominated in the third quarter. We should have been 4-5goals up at three quarter time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn v Collingwood Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back