Jimmyboy9

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Think about it for a second. In the psd we could pick up Travis Johnstonne, we got a young ruckmen now in Bo Nixon. This enables us to pick 3 top class players in the draft. Imagine if we could pick up Deledio, Roughead and A Monfries/Franklin.

We still have a classy defence in J Smith, J Hay, T Croad, D Jacobs. We will have a great midfield in P Everitt, S Crawford, S Mitchell, B Deledio, T Johnstonne and we will have a good forward line with L Hodge, J Roughead, H Miller, M Williams and for utilities we got Lonie, Vanderberg, Lekkas etc.

Not to bad full of promise and excitement i rekon boys. Now is the time to support your team. They need it now and we need to be positive about our success!!

Jimmyboy9 said:
Think about it for a second. In the psd we could pick up Travis Johnstonne, we got a young ruckmen now in Bo Nixon. This enables us to pick 3 top class players in the draft. Imagine if we could pick up Deledio, Roughead and A Monfries/Franklin.

Nixon = KPP not ruckman from what i have gathered, either way at 191 too small to be full time ruckman.

KPP even better mate, we can pick a ruckman up with our 2nd round picks!!

Have a smile on the dile mate. I dont think u have said anything positive 4 quite some time.

Jimmyboy9 said:
KPP even better mate, we can pick a ruckman up with our 2nd round picks!!

Have a smile on the dile mate. I dont think u have said anything positive 4 quite some time.

i have being very happy so far with our trading

I think we will take a ruckman with pick 7, then maybe go for a bunch of midfielder and KPP.

Jimmyboy9 said:

We still have a classy defence in J Smith, J Hay, T Croad, D Jacobs. We will have a great midfield in P Everitt, S Crawford, S Mitchell, B Deledio, T Johnstonne and we will have a good forward line with L Hodge, J Roughead, H Miller, M Williams and for utilities we got Lonie, Vanderberg, Lekkas etc.

Not to bad full of promise and excitement i rekon boys. Now is the time to support your team. They need it now and we need to be positive about our success!!
Worked nightshift last night ,just got out of bed ,fill me in .Is it true that we got Nixon & pick 7 in exchange for pick 10 & a late pick? Not a bad deal for us so long as we hang on to pick 7.

Buster the hawk said:
Worked nightshift last night ,just got out of bed ,fill me in .Is it true that we got Nixon & pick 7 in exchange for pick 10 & a late pick? Not a bad deal for us so long as we hang on to pick 7.

gained: pick 7, nixon
lose: pick 10, 37

pies
gained: pick 10, morrision
lose: pick 7

eagles
gain: pick 37
lose: morrision

i think that covers it.

Buster the hawk said:

Mate its officially the end of Trade Week, so we cant lose any of our picks now!!

Jimmyboy9 said:

Nixon has had injury/health concerns with his kidneys. He's also not a ruckman but a 191cm utility. The three (hopefully) young blokes should be looked at as 'works in progress' and no pressure should be made to rush them into the side. Let them develop and learn and become players that will give ten plus years service rather than expose them to a level that (in all likelihood) they will not be physically mature enough to handle yet.

Where do you get this idea that Johnstone is leaving the Demons or that Deledio is going to be our choice in the draft?

Don't put the cart ahead of the horse as the saying goes. We have three early picks, a speculative pick up (Nixon) and a much thinned out list in terms of experience, strength and most important (for the short term) depth.

This is the start of the journey towards building (yea I know you don't like the term) a solid base to which to become an on-field power but it's going to take time.

Yea, support, encourage and don't get to disappointed when KIDS take time to develop the required body strength, nous and experience that it takes to make a successful side.

Fellas - I agreed we've done pretty well with the trading thus far.

HOWEVER WHERE ARE THE BIG KEY FORWARDS?

That is what we're still lacking and Bo Nixon will need to eat spinach 3 times a day and spend the entire summer in the weights room to bulk up enough to hold down a key position in our forward line. The U18 guys are similar - whomever we draft, they will need 2 or 3 years to fill out. We need to get a key forward in the PSD who is over 21, fully developed and able to justify keeping Holland and Barker at Box Hill.

so far we have lost one KPP and gained another through trades.

Of course Nixon won't be able to do Thompson's job, but we might be able to snare someone okay'ish in the PSD.

Grendel and Feher u really are 2 negative individuals. You really bring me down. I get excited about what might happen. T Johnstonne is out of contract and Richmond might pick up Tambling, i mean for ********s sake have a bit of fun and enjoy yourselves dont be downers.

Jimmyboy9 said:
Grendel and Feher u really are 2 negative individuals. You really bring me down. I get excited about what might happen. T Johnstonne is out of contract and Richmond might pick up Tambling, i mean for ********s sake have a bit of fun and enjoy yourselves dont be downers.

JB what are you talking about? i have hardly being negative towards the hawks, i would say 90% of my post in regards to the hawks are either positive or defending them. I was delighted getting rid of thompson for pick 10 and a bonus 2nd rounder, is that negative?

I am happy with the pick 7/nixon deal.

Nixon will not be able to do Thompson's job, that is a given, maybe one day, but not this coming season. I also think i was postive in saying we traded one KPP and got another back, i fail to see how that is negative.

I have my own preferrence in terms of how we should draft, but what ever they do i will try and support them in it.

I am absoultely delighted that we are going down the re-build path via the draft, i have said this in other posts.

Before you joined up, i have defended and said positives about the hawks, in fact i have being saying that Smith is worth more then pick 7 alone, yet the pies fan only want to give up a 2nd rounder on the other boards, if that isn't being positive towards Smith and the Hawks, then i guess i am quility.

Jimmyboy9 said:

Jimmy,

Hang on for a sec.....
J Smith - good that he stayed, he's crucial.
J Hay - injured all the time, very hard to presume he'll be there all year
T Croad - had a very good season, but questions remain over consistency
D Jacobs - very ordinary and needs to improve to justify getting him

P Everitt - no complaints, very good
S Crawford - last season is forgotten, he'll be back to his best
S Mitchell - did well under more pressure, also no complaints
B Deledio - no guarantee
T Johnstone - highly unlikely

Now for the real suspension of reality area, time for aome harsh but fair calls:

L Hodge - needs to improve and get over his injuries
J Roughead - no guarantee
H Miller - hasn't played AFL footy
M Williams - improved from nowhere, must consolidate and get consistency
Lonie - disappointment thus far
Vanderberg - needs to focus on the ball, but will be good to have back
Lekkas - I heard if Smith stayed he wanted to go? Another one who appears disillusioned.

Based on the above OPINIONS I believe Clarkson has a lot of work to do before March 2005, and not as much to work with as you think Jimmy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is an 'ignore' function. Put me on it if you feel like it.

Your posts bring me down fwiw because I've had it up to the back teeth with people that wont have the patience to give a DEVELOPING list a chance.

I've seen read and heard it to many times before. Build up the expectation and then when it doesn't eventuate quickly enough, tear into the players/coaches etc.

I'm like feher, happy enough (though saddened for Thommo's loss because he was my favourite) with the trade period but not expecting instant results either.

I hope to see an improved list next season. We don't and wont have a 'top' list for at least another season, maybe two or three.

Sorry I don't share your outlook jim but I'm not going to be changing mine until real results/improvements start to show on-field and off.

This has been a great start (trade period) but that's all it is, a start.

Finish line is a long way off yet and we need to (imo) keep that in mind.

Grendel said:
I've had it up to the back teeth with people that wont have the patience to give a DEVELOPING list a chance.

exactly, i fully agree with you on this, i am already expecting maybe only 1 or 2 wins next season, but i am fine with that as long as in 2-3 years time we are a finals threat and then a season or so later a premiership threat, i don't even mind if it takes a bit longer, just as long as the list is developing and their is signs of improvement. If a team like the dogs/saints can take their time to rebuild, and you would think they have less money then us, then surely we can also.

I'm like feher, happy enough (though saddened for Thommo's loss because he was my favourite) with the trade period but not expecting instant results either.

and this is what people have to relise, that the trades were done to benefit the team in the future not for the coming season.

agree also, just need to trust the power's to be that they are doing their best to rebuild the list.

Grendel said:
There is an 'ignore' function. Put me on it if you feel like it.

Your posts bring me down fwiw because I've had it up to the back teeth with people that wont have the patience to give a DEVELOPING list a chance.

I've seen read and heard it to many times before. Build up the expectation and then when it doesn't eventuate quickly enough, tear into the players/coaches etc.

I hope to see an improved list next season. We don't and wont have a 'top' list for at least another season, maybe two or three.

Sorry I don't share your outlook jim but I'm not going to be changing mine until real results/improvements start to show on-field and off.

Mate i never said id tear into the players or the coach. It seems that what you guys are doing to the players is exactly that!! I on the other hand realise that hey we maybe struggling but the playing has the capacity. J Hay All Australian, J Smith All Australian, S Crawford Brownlow Medal, T Croad, L Hodge sensational. Mitchell Rising star award, I mean i care if we dont make the finals but i WILL NOT BLAME anyone. Personally i will be upset that i cant watch my BELOVED HAWKS in september. Are you guys gonna drill me and hate me and say im not a good supporter bcuz i will be disapointed i dont get get to see my team in september.

Jimmyboy9 said:
Mate i never said id tear into the players or the coach.

I never said that you would either.

It seems that what you guys are doing to the players is exactly that!!

Exactly what? Being prepared (as said) to give them time to develop and mature and not weigh them down with unrealistic expecation or demands of them before they're physically capable of handling such demand?

Totally the reverse of 'tearing' into them from my pov, totally.

I on the other hand realise that hey we may be struggling but the playing has the capacity. J Hay All Australian, J Smith All Australian, S Crawford Brownlow Medal, T Croad, L Hodge sensational. Mitchell Rising star award.

Nobody is denying what talent there is to work with at the HFC at present. But what you overlook (continually) is the talent ELSEWHERE in the competition. The five named playing group above by you (Hell throw in Everitt for a quality ruckman) has talent, true. Where is the next level? Six players of quality does not a football team make. There's solid next level (Lekkas, Bateman, Vandenberg, etc) players. But there isn't a Riewoldt, Lloyd, B. Hall, Tredrea, J.Brown on the list. There is Crawford and that's it for 'elite' on-ballers. No Cousins, Kerr, Judd, Fletcher type foursome, no Wells, L.Power, P Burgoyne type outside midfielder with poise, pace and finishing skills (though I am still hopeful that Bateman may one day take that 'step up'.. it's hope.. not faith that he will).

In other words we lack DEPTH in our list of QUALITY footballers. That DEPTH is NOT going to be automatically overcome by the addition of five early draft picks straight away.

I mean i care if we dont make the finals but i WILL NOT BLAME anyone.

Why not? If we don't make the finals or more to the point, SEE IMPROVEMENT then I'll be looking for where the fault is and who's to blame for not correcting the faults.

Blame is apportioned to whoever is at fault. If things aren't working I'm not going to pretend that everything is hunkydory and that wishing it weren't so will make it that way.

Personally i will be upset that i cant watch my BELOVED HAWKS in september.

You think I wont be upset/saddened you're mistaken. What I wont be is disappointed IF I can see real improvement in the side. If I see that improvment then I'll have knowledge that finals missed in 05 will mean that it's a step closer to finals made in 06, 07 and beyond.

Are you guys gonna drill me and hate me and say im not a good supporter bcuz i will be disapointed i dont get get to see my team in september.

Yes and no. If you post on a public forum you are going to run into people that will agree with your viewpoint and those (like I do) that don't. I try to not personalise when I post but in this instance just know that I don't 'hate' you.

But as for the 'drill' part. When I reply it's because you put up a veiwpoint (as is your right) to how you view the development/hope for the list. If I agree with it, I'd probably write "I agree with you". That I don't is why I (and some others) write replies outlining where we think your outlook is over-optimistic (in the short term at least) and that we think things will happen in a different way.

Fwiw in some ways I wouldn't mind having that total faith that you have but I don't and that is just how it is. I'm prepared to be patient and wait for the results because my view is short term 'fixes' and 'top-ups' have killed us for the last ten seasons. So any disappointment over short term (i.e next season) results will not overly worry me as supporter providing that there is a long term strategy in place for LONG TERM success.

That is how I feel about things with the HFC as they stand right now and I'm prepared for the hardships that we are probably going to have to go through to get that foundation for long term benefits built to deliver that long term successful and profitable and the once again, proud HFC.

Guys I was very critical of the Hawks this year
but finally i think the ship is turning around
and we are back on course, but its going to take
a few years...

Its good to be positive but put it into perspective...

Go Hardcore Hawks 2005!

For all the yeas and neas sprouting up concerning the success of the Hawks in 2005, I'd like to share some opinions (why not? everyone else does and a few spew opinion and call it fact):

In 2005, success should not be measured in wins and losses. It should be measured in terms of improvement and progress. Hawthorn can sell almost as many memberships based on promise as it can on success!

The tally of wins and losses will be dictated by our ability to control the midfield. The amount of control we exercise in the middle will dictate our won-loss record. If our running game is going more often than not, we will find goal scoring options...regardless of the size and experience of our forwards.

We will need to search for consistency in the selection of our side each week. We need to let the young players learn to play together and to rely on one another.

Lastly, regardless of our record, the rest of the dead wood must be cleaned out after 2005 is done. Those lucky to survive into 2005 due to contractual obligations must know this is their last opportunity to produce.

You's had a great list last year. Expected to win the premiership. Nothing's changed, apart from your'e going for youth. You've still got duds like Holland and Barker. When will Hawthorn clean out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn will have a top list in 2005!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back