Hawthorns Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a look - what are you getting at?
Ah, it was so simple I didn't even notice..
Christ, you are dumb.
:rolleyes:
My whole point was that Ben Johnson won but was disqualified for being a drug cheat - hence Lewis was subsequently awared the medal. In 1995 - Carlton won - and they were discovered to have cheated the salary cap... only difference is they were not stripped of their prize. Understand? Probably not.
Errrr. Can you explain that again for all of us dummies. I don't follow you...

To be fair it's not just some Hawthorn supporters, it's a very sycophantic media as well.

And to be even fairer its not just Hawthorn.

Carlton & Richmond tragics, in particular, have hardly been reticent about talking up their young-uns with a passion, in recent times.

And to be even fairer its not just Hawthorn.

Carlton & Richmond tragics, in particular, have hardly been reticent about talking up their young-uns with a passion, in recent times.

Yep. And what do all 3 have in common - lots of high draft picks. Which means the media cream themselves over every one of them. You'd think guys drafted after about pick 15 can't be any good. Idiots.

Hawthorn's kids are just like any other team's kids.
We have some who show promise and we also have a few who are unknown quantities.
The only reason people continue to talk about our kids (everyone, not just Hawk fans) is because we have bugger all experienced, senior players and the youngest list in the AFL. We're forced to play our kids in fairly prominent roles.

Like many things, it's all just about people's perceptions as opposed to reality.

But the kids are alright (good name for a song!) and it's fun going to the footy each week, watching them and our young team develop. They stuff up, occasionally they play really well. Like all teenage AFL players, they also improve quite rapidly. We've been pretty crap, but's coming together, slowly but surely. I'm not really expecting too much this year, though. People think because we've been rebuilding for 2 years, therefore we must be ready to play finals. Disagree. Those 18yos from 2 years ago are now only 20. We're still a couple of years away from our peak.

To be fair it's not just some Hawthorn supporters, it's a very sycophantic media as well. They've become like St.Kilda - get a few very high draft picks and the premierships are just pencilled in.

The media mostly echo what the ignorant masses say, or want to hear.
The ignorant masses lap it up and before long, myth becomes fact.

The media also love to fix on one angle of a story and repeat over and over.
I've yet to read a story about Luke Hodge without a reference to Chris Judd or Luke Ball.

So in this instance, many in the media probably know bugger all about our club, apart from that we're a work in progress. All they know is that we have some good kids, so that's become the by-line for Hawthorn. It's neat. It fits. It's easy.

And you're also just jealous that no one cares or writes about Geelong...

So in this instance, many in the media probably know bugger all about our club, apart from that we're a work in progress. All they know is that we have some good kids, so that's become the by-line for Hawthorn. It's neat. It fits. It's easy.

And you're also just jealous that no one cares or writes about Geelong...

You couldn't be more wrong. Hopelessly wrong.

I could not give a flying f**k what any fan or anybody thinks about Geelong. I do not care about the competition, the good of the game, the draw, the plight of young players, the drug issue. F**k it all.

Agree with Partridge. Sure Hawthorn had a power team in the 80's. But do we have to be reminded about it 20 years later? For as long as I've followed the game Hawthorn have been very unsuccessful, so I'm always bemused and bewildered when they talk about what a great club they are. They've got a good bunch of youngsters, most teams to do. Whether or not they do anything remains unseen. They need a decent coach.

Agree with Partridge. Sure Hawthorn had a power team in the 80's. But do we have to be reminded about it 20 years later? For as long as I've followed the game Hawthorn have been very unsuccessful, so I'm always bemused and bewildered when they talk about what a great club they are. They've got a good bunch of youngsters, most teams to do. Whether or not they do anything remains unseen. They need a decent coach.

We're waiting for Neale...

You couldn't be more wrong. Hopelessly wrong.

I could not give a flying f**k what any fan or anybody thinks about Geelong. I do not care about the competition, the good of the game, the draw, the plight of young players, the drug issue. F**k it all.

You need a hug, don't you? Come here, Partridge. C'mon.... There, there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn have a few great young talents. Time will tell if they had the superior talent scouts, superior development techniques and superior team chemistry and culture development to other teams.

Otherwise they will catch up to the pack but will never surpass it.

Carlton have Marc Murphy to lead the team of the future. Richmond have Deledio and JON. Hawthorn currently have no great talents with leadership, much like St Kilda (which has attributed to their lack of success).

Hawthorn have a few great young talents. Time will tell if they had the superior talent scouts, superior development techniques and superior team chemistry and culture development to other teams.

Good post, much to sensible and coherent for this forum

Carlton have Marc Murphy to lead the team of the future. Richmond have Deledio and JON. Hawthorn currently have no great talents with leadership, much like St Kilda (which has attributed to their lack of success).

Hodge & Mitchell too old eh?

I was just thinking the same thing..

By the way, since when has Oakley-Nicholls been considered a leader in the same class as Deledio and Murphy?

IMO Murphy has it all over Deledio in everyway.

From what I've seen I totally agree. As a matter of interest, how old are Hodge and Mitchell? Couldn't be more than 23, 24? Not exactly veteran status.

JON, you have got be kidding, you really have a false sense of reality.

Deledio has some leadership qualities but is quite fragile and doesn't have that killer hard at it instinct that would make a great captain.

Hodge has it, Murphy does 2, also Mclean, Prosciutto also, Buckley, Brown, Neitz, Voss, Judd etc

Deledio is a bit timid and soft for my liking to become a captain.

The hawks have some very good youngsters coming through the ranks and like all teams we get excited about the young ones, there will be successes and there will be frustrations but the system seems to be working pretty good. I will keep an eye on the young hawks over the season as i will my own team because that is the future for all teams.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorns Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back