List Mgmt. Hayden Ballantyne

Remove this Banner Ad

His extension is symptomatic of the confusion and complete lack of planning that seems to be pervading the club atm.

He's been a loyal servant, but so were Barlow, Mayne, Mzungu etc. Why another contract for Ballantyne when we have Matera, Switkowsi and Walters on the list?

The baffling decision of 2018, but not exactly crucial to our forward planning.

If we're fair dinkum he isn't best 22 next year and then he can retire.

Some commentators are going on about this decision like it would make or break the club. Same with Bennell.

Both signings are meh.

His extension is symptomatic of the confusion and complete lack of planning that seems to be pervading the club atm.

He's been a loyal servant, but so were Barlow, Mayne, Mzungu etc. Why another contract for Ballantyne when we have Matera, Switkowsi and Walters on the list?
I have not seen anything of Matera or Switkowsi to suggest they will be better than him next year.

I feel Matera is too slow to make it as a small forward.

I have not seen anything of Matera or Switkowsi to suggest they will be better than him next year.

We're supposedly rebuilding, Ballantyne's output hasn't been significantly better...and he'll be 32. If he was still undoubtedly best 22, then no problems, but logic dictates you prioritize the younger guys at the stage we're at even if you aren't sure whether they'll make it.

It's a decision that isn't congruent with the lines Lyon et al. keep trotting out. It's not going to have any significant impact on next year, but it's just a question of why?

Last edited:
We're supposedly rebuilding, Ballantyne's output hasn't been significantly better...and he'll be 32. If he was still undoubtedly best 22, then no problems, but logic dictates you prioritize the younger guys at the stage we're at, even if you aren't sure whether they'll make it.

It's a decision that isn't congruent with the lines Lyon et al. keep trotting out. It's not going to have any significant impact on next year, but it's just a question of why?

I agree I would have delisted him, and tried to replace him with a mature age wafl player like M Bennell but I still have him as our 2nd best small forward.

We don't have a lot of pick this year, and there is no point drafting beyond about pick 80. Hopefully we can find 2 or 3 good mobile fowards in the draft and he plays WAFL next year.

What younger guys are better than him?

Matera is below average but Switkowski is what, one year and one game into his career?

Point is we're supposed to be rebuilding. Ballantyne shat the bed in that Grand Final and that was the last we ever really saw of him. He played his best football when he was hungry and angry and that's completely dropped from his game. He seriously should have been axed in about 2016, at the absolute latest, with someone else coming in to replace him in about 2015, at the absolute latest.

His best football is about six years gone, he's about 33, he's also complete shit these days.

He's just another little favourite of Ross Lyon. It's honestly one of the most baffling list management decisions I have ever ever seen.

If he was at Hawthorn he would have been shipped off four seasons ago.

Mundy is the only one of the old brigade who deserves a contract extension. Johnson, Sandilands, Spurr, Pearce all played their best football nearly half a decade ago. It's a complete indictment on how clogged our list is, how terribly managed it is, and how piss poor some of our drafts were that these guys were kept around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matera is below average but Switkowski is what, one year and one game into his career?

Point is we're supposed to be rebuilding. Ballantyne shat the bed in that Grand Final and that was the last we ever really saw of him. He played his best football when he was hungry and angry and that's completely dropped from his game. He seriously should have been axed in about 2016, at the absolute latest, with someone else coming in to replace him in about 2015, at the absolute latest.

His best football is about six years gone, he's about 33, he's also complete shit these days.

He's just another little favourite of Ross Lyon. It's honestly one of the most baffling list management decisions I have ever ever seen.

Mundy is the only one of the old brigade who deserves a contract extension. Johnson, Sandilands, Spurr, Pearce all played their best football nearly half a decade ago. It's a complete indictment on how clogged our list is, how terribly managed it is, and how piss poor some of our drafts were that these guys were kept around.

Ballas is 31.

More than anything I hope there's a change in game plan to allow these small forwards some opportunity to kick goals.

Pisses me off watching Rioli, Cripps and Ryan waltz into goals or cheat out the back. They're simply allowed to roam.

Switkowski is what, one year and one game into his career?

He is unproven. He may be a superstar but I have not seen it. This is all I meant.

Not arguing a lot with this, but we do only have 1 pick before pick 60. I think the decision would have been made to not cut all the experienced players in one hit to ensure we have a few players to offer leadership next year.

Johnson, Spurr, Sutcliffe, D Pearce, Sandi ?? etc will be gone this year. We can't draft players on 2 years deals at pick 100+

D Pearce has been good for Peel this year, and hopefully Ballas can do something similar next year.

Ballas is 31.

More than anything I hope there's a change in game plan to allow these small forwards some opportunity to kick goals.

Pisses me off watching Rioli, Cripps and Ryan waltz into goals or cheat out the back. They're simply allowed to roam.

Yes, if you watch the crows forwards at stoppages, everyone blocks for everyone. It creates confusion and lets players get free. We are so stagnant

I can stomach Ballantyne getting a new contract if it is motivated by the right reasons.

If the club believes that he is a viable best 30 player, offers depth and drives the club & standards on the training track, that's perfectly acceptable given the hole the list now finds itself in. It is a better outcome to employ a player who has been exposed to 10 years in the AFL system and can hand down pieces of wisdom, call someone on their training standards and adds to atmosphere of the club - ie he helps the club move toward it's ultimate goal.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how loyalty can be afforded to Hayden, who made it known he was not thrilled with Danyle Pearce's three year extension when he was asking for more years to close out his career, and who proceeded to seek to explore his options with West Coast given he didn't get what he wanted & didn't believe the club was in a position to win a flag in the near future.

What also bothers me is the whisper that he was awarded a new contract to coincide with a revised clause in the recently negotiated CBA - players who serve a tenure of service would qualify for "top-up" payments in 2019 and 2022. This was an apparent bug bear of a recently departed club official who was rolled on his position by other more powerful club figures.

How can the club move in the right direction if there is a shred of truth to any of the above, trust the source of this information.

The list management is awful. I always defend the club ( and have done for many years on this board) but re-signing two unproductive passengers in Ballantyne and Bennell shows the depths of dis-functionality the club has reached. It is absurd. The whole thing is off-track and the club is in the wilderness. Seriously look at it - precious salary cap influenced money was wasted on a has been and never was. Is Freo a charity or a professional sport organisation? Trying to win a premiership that is already a hard enough task for West Australian clubs with the odds already stacked against us due to geography, a lot more travel than many clubs and the immovable GF location.

It's clearly very unprofessional at Freo' and it's apparent before all our eyes. Poor Fyfe, Neale and Mundy and the handful of elite players we have - they know they will never see a premiership playing for Freo as the club stands at the moment.

Ross Lyon had no where to hide this time post match against Geelong and all he could muster is "didn't see that coming".

The coaching is obsolete and ugly to watch. Freo fans demand better. Ross must go - I don't care about 2013 anymore - a fresh start is required.

He must be sacked and good clean-out of the footy department and middle management must occur. Freo supporters cannot and should not accept this or there is no point following a club that doesn't even take itself seriously. The whole club must buy into demanding the success that many supporters demand. The clubs management aren't - the results demonstrate that.

Freo fans shouldn't blindly follow, make apologies or accept this shit anymore. They are getting nothing from me until serious changes occur.

Freo is not even a shade of the professionalism of a lot of clubs including the scum over the river who sweep drug scandals away under the carpet but they certainly know how to list manage much better than Freo. They remain competent and competitive most of the time and select a lot more west aussie talent than us.

****ing list management. **** OFF Brad Lloyd..

IS selecting Cerra worth it considering it is looking very likely he is going home - whilst T Kelly rips Freo a new arseh*le playing in Geelong colours... A South Femantle player sticking it to Freo. **** me how ****ed up is that. **** off Lloyd you incompentant twat.

Carlton style bottom out heading our way due to mismanagement. Seriously **** Freo at the moment. Get ****ed - **** off.

Why the **** would I want to spend good money to watch them at Optus Stadium. At least at a pub I can get a good meal - have a punt, flirt with a skimpy and have a variety of games to watch and enjoy other than the catastrophe Freo has become. Freo deserve to be the laughing stock it has become.

Last edited:

What also bothers me is the whisper that he was awarded a new contract to coincide with a revised clause in the recently negotiated CBA - players who serve a tenure of service would qualify for "top-up" payments in 2019 and 2022. This was an apparent bug bear of a recently departed club official who was rolled on his position by other more powerful club figures.

How can the club move in the right direction if there is a shred of truth to any of the above, trust the source of this information.

Mmmm. Fairly reasonable post, but four posts into your time here, not sure of you as a source ether TBA. But what is that bold bit you're referring to?

I see the Balla signing is not that big a deal either direction. Just don't see what the hoopla is about really.

As for depth in that area. Matera should be pushing him out but that's another story, and Gray; I've still hot high hopes for him, but he's all heart but probably not offering much better than Balla all said and done. Switkowski is a kid that is as likely to be a bust as be something. You want a couple in that position on the park anyway. Point being that a bit of depth there isn't the end of the world, not in the least.

Seems a bit of mountain out of a molehill type stuff around here.

Mmmm. Fairly reasonable post, but four posts into your time here, not sure of you as a source ether TBA. But what is that bold bit you're referring to?

I see the Balla signing is not that big a deal either direction. Just don't see what the hoopla is about really.

A recently departed figure did not wish to extend a contract to HB, was rolled on by other parties and the "top-up" payments was cited as justification for another year. That official walked the next day.

A recently departed figure did not wish to extend a contract to HB, was rolled on by other parties and the "top-up" payments was cited as justification for another year. That official walked the next day.

I was a bit surprised Brad didn't stay on until the end of the year. If it was simply moving on for better opportunity then why wouldn't he stay until the end of the year?

I get why we kept Ballantyne. He stays for one year, then goes. Any player we pick at 100 or so gets a 2 year contract... not as flexible. I would have been fine if we'd rolled the dice on some kid, but reality is they would have got us all excited with comparisons to Pendlebury or something but 95% most likely would have been crap... and then we miss out the next year. It doesn't look great in light of the Geelong game, but I just don't think it's the worst thing ever. Just meh.

I get why we kept Ballantyne. He stays for one year, then goes. Any player we pick at 100 or so gets a 2 year contract... not as flexible. I would have been fine if we'd rolled the dice on some kid, but reality is they would have got us all excited with comparisons to Pendlebury or something but 95% most likely would have been crap... and then we miss out the next year. It doesn't look great in light of the Geelong game, but I just don't think it's the worst thing ever. Just meh.

I'm of this view.

We did the massive player cuts already. We now have a solid core of youngsters. Keeping Ballantyne isn't exactly keeping anyone out.

I view him as Johnson and Pearce this year. Depth and experience.

Yeah he's shit, but you can't just cut 10 blokes every year.

I'd say we'll lose 5-6 blokes and a few have already been upgraded.

This is the core that we hope to go deep with.

Mundy, Ballas, Sandi won't be there but 1 more year doesn't hurt.

Jonno, Pearce and Spurr already gone.

I'd look to cut a couple more. Sutcliffe would be on shaky ground.

Although I agree with most of your points to be fair with Ballas re GF he had a virus and was sick. He played poorly. Freo match committee should have sat him out. Neale could of started instead of being the sub.

This may have helped win Freo the gf.

You can't fault his tenacity. It just baffles me how a player of his age gets a new contract when he clearly isn't up to it and we need to drastically improve our forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hayden Ballantyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back