List Mgmt. Hayden Ballantyne

Remove this Banner Ad

From a business perspective this a poor move:

1. Premiership window outlined to the board 2020 (2022-24 more likely)

2. Great player, who's efficiency has been well lower than normal for nearly 3 seasons.

3. Will be 34 in the next premiership window, and unlikely to be performing better.

4. Other developmental options to persevere with in his role.

This is an emotional call, not a business one. The same extensions that may come for players like Sheridan will also be emotional calls.

2. Great player, who's efficiency has been well lower than normal for nearly 3 seasons.

3. Will be 34 in the next premiership window, and unlikely to be performing better.

This is an emotional call, not a business one. The same extensions that may come for players like Sheridan will also be emotional calls.

Bennell's wasn't a business call either. I think Ross is running list management now Brad has gone.

It's 100% about mentoring.

Ballas is past his best but he leads by example in effort, aggression and not taking a backwards step.

I wouldn't have liked it at the start of the year, but remembering how Melbourne cast their vets into the abyss and their football followed, I don't mind it. They've turned it around after bringing some senior players in for the same reason.

If we had a really strong draft hand it would be a tougher call, but we don't.

Good decision.

next week will probably see Sandi and Johno offered another year too, geezus we make dumb decisions, he used to fun to watch now its just sad

Don't think I could disagree more strongly with the view that it's worth keeping 30+ guys solely around for 'experience/mentoring'.

If they're worth their spot like a Mundy/Sandi/Hodge etc then by all means go for it. Otherwise I'm not sure how much mentoring your going to get from a guy like Ballantyne who spends all his time desperately hanging onto his spot offering very little offensively and defensively.

That's why it's a wrong call IMO. It's not like we have no-one to fill his role.

Matera, Walters, Switta. Who are the other small forwards on our list? At a stretch you could say Brady Grey. The cupboard is extremely bare at this position, has to be a priority in this upcoming draft.

I think gold coast are an example of why you need experienced players on the list. If anything just to mentor young players on the training track. I expect ballas will only play half a dozen games next year.

Ballas is past his best but he leads by example in effort, aggression and not taking a backwards step.

I wouldn't have liked it at the start of the year, but remembering how Melbourne cast their vets into the abyss and their football followed, I don't mind it. They've turned it around after bringing some senior players in for the same reason.

Good decision.
I agree with all of that apart from "good decision". All I can come up with is "meh" decision.

Don't think I could disagree more strongly with the view that it's worth keeping 30+ guys solely around for 'experience/mentoring'.

If they're worth their spot like a Mundy/Sandi/Hodge etc then by all means go for it. Otherwise I'm not sure how much mentoring your going to get from a guy like Ballantyne who spends all his time desperately hanging onto his spot offering very little offensively and defensively.
Apart from the fact that Hodge wasn't kept on Hawthorn's list, and Sandilands isn't "worth his spot" if he can only crank out 11 games a year. I think the benefit of leadership is more complex than you are portraying, and a club needs to get the balance right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matera, Walters, Switta. Who are the other small forwards on our list? At a stretch you could say Brady Grey. The cupboard is extremely bare at this position, has to be a priority in this upcoming draft.

Giro certainly and perhaps Crowden (he may see himself as more of a mid). I really like Grey in the forward line gives the pressure that Ballas used to.

Apart from the fact that Hodge wasn't kept on Hawthorn's list, and Sandilands isn't "worth his spot" if he can only crank out 11 games a year. I think the benefit of leadership is more complex than you are portraying, and a club needs to get the balance right.

What? Hodge has played great for Brisbane and while I'd probably cut Sandi personally he's easily been in our top 3 most important players this year imo. There just aren't many examples of successful 'leaders' who are poor players.

I just think it's a very weak argument for keeping a player on. A large part of leadership in an AFL sense unless you're got the tactical nous of a Hodge/Mitchell is just playing well and leading from the front. Ballas certainly isn't doing that and will probably at best be on equal terms with his younger replacements next year.

Bennell's wasn't a business call either. I think Ross is running list management now Brad has gone.
Cant you give it a rest. Bennell was always going to be resigned provided he stayed trouble free and dedicated himself to his recovery. It is a low risk business decision to give him one extra year for potentially massive reward. One year for a player with as much talent as Harley makes sense to anyone who has the slightest clue or who doesnt have a clear vendetta against Harley like the above poster clearly does. Ironically, the opposite of the above post is actually true. Talented players get extra time because teams are in the business of winning games, not running happy social clubs.

Last edited:
I was 100% in the 'he needs to retire basket' at the start of the season. Now I'm probably more in the happy to keep him if he's used like Pearce/Johno were this year. As soon as his form drops off he's playing for Peel unless desperate times call for it.

Ballas for 1 more year or Pick 70+? It's line ball call, happy to side with looking after a Freo veteran.

Cant you give it a rest. Bennell was always going to be resigned provided he stayed trouble free and dedicated himself to his recovery. It is a low risk business decision to give him one extra year for potentially massive reward. One year for a player with as much talent as Harley makes sense to anyone who has the slightest clue or who doesnt have a clear vendetta against Harley like the above poster clearly does. Ironically, the opposite of the above post is actually true. Talented players get extra time because teams are in the business of winning games, not running happy social clubs.

Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough, but let’s take a step back and look at the ins & outs at the end of the season.

We have very few picks to use, so we are unlikely to get any “get & go” talent. We might pick up a late gem, but more than likely they will be two seasons away from entrenching themselves in the 22. We have already planted the seeds ( very young list ), they need to be supported and taught the on field tricks of footy.

Out is going Spurr, Johnno & D Pearce. Plus maybe a Rookie ?. So 4 out, 4 newbies in at the bottom end.

Sure I can see the grumps about retaining Ballas, but if he is seen as a support player, has to earn his place in the 22 with brilliant form at Peel / pre season, otherwise he only comes in as depth due to injuries. I don’t think he would be taking up much money from the salary cap.

In summary, we need support players around the club / training track, and as said above, we will not be bringing in many new players this draft period.

Good decision.

I’m sorry but this prevailing line of thought is arrant nonsense.

Being a good ‘Mentor’ has nothing to do with large AFL playing contracts. You can hire staffing assistants to provide developmental support for a lot less money.

What do you want to happen? Ballantyne’s on the field ‘mentoring’ young Ian Hill in his first half a dozen games, whilst kicking the odd goal every now and then to remind everyone he still exists.

I love Ballantyne, will always love Fremantle but we’re straying down the pathway of emotion which have made large scale organisations obsolete. Enough of this ‘he’s been a good servant, let’s throw him a bone’ mentality.

Ross told the board he’s gunning for a flag in 2020 - to do that you’ve got to be utterly ruthless. It might not have worked for North Melbourne but I respect them for having the courage to cut their long-serving servants.

That means thanks Ballantyne, but see ya. It means thanks Sheridan, Sutcliffe but we’ve persevered hard enough with you. It means we give Apeness, Kersten and maybe even McCarthy the length of their contract to find consistency or it’s no go. Maybe it even means let Sandi off to the Eagles - if he’s going to be pushing 40 by the time we’re ready for a flag then why hold down other able young ruckmen?

Remember all these players cost money and in making the tough call we’ve got a greater bank balance to get who we need.

Maybe I’m getting sick of getting pumped the last 3 year but I’m over these soft love-ins from the club and supporters a like. We’re not going for participation medals, we’re going for our inaugural premiership.

I would have been more than happy to use pick eleventy squillion on a speculative hungry mercurial forward pocket. Ballas still tries but I just can’t see him winning us a game like he used to.

And i'm not sure that any of them are actually a crumbing small forward - maybe Walters but he's so much more that he kind of doesn't count. I'd thought when Matera came over that he'd provide that, someone to read the ball off the pack and jag a goal or three a game.

With the shithouse delivery we get into the forward line, and the amount of time it ends up on the deck, you'd think someone ought to be front and centre cleaning it up.

And i'm not sure that any of them are actually a crumbing small forward - maybe Walters but he's so much more that he kind of doesn't count. I'd thought when Matera came over that he'd provide that, someone to read the ball off the pack and jag a goal or three a game.

With the shithouse delivery we get into the forward line, and the amount of time it ends up on the deck, you'd think someone ought to be front and centre cleaning it up.
All we have had up forward this year is Walters and a glimpse of how good Tabberner and Cox are going to be, the rest have been a dissapointment and we need to experiment with the mix, Bray Grey is tough and never gives up and would easily replace Ballantyne who has been previously a great for us. I would be bappy to try a few different options even someone like Luke Ryan when Griffin Logue comes back and Kersten settles into the backline. Ryan can take a grab, can kick from outside 50 and is smart enough to create

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hayden Ballantyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back