List Mgmt. Hayden Ballantyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Really happy he signed , his experience will help Peel and cover the lose of ibbo and Dawson. Go thunder .

Eh. Don't mind either way to be honest. One year means the club isn't over the top about it

Always puts in the effort and rarely backs out of a contest. Need more players in the team to be doing that. Some of the efforts by some players have been laughable.

With Walters playing more in the middle, Sherro/Croz not quite the forward we were after (that we have seen) and Bennell only played 2 games, it makes sense to keep him on - unless we get Fasolo in the off season, but even then he would only be a slight upgrade on Ballas

Leadership. His first games back he was organising the forward line that was running around like headless chooks. He's mentoring Cox. And if he hasn't lost his leg speed, which he hasn't, then he's still an asset. His field kicking to advantage is still good.
Personally, I'm happy he's re-signed.
I think we are watching different games....love Ballas but I think he has lost a significant amount of leg speed - possibly due to the hamstring issue this year. I hope he can go out with a big year in 2018.

I think we are watching different games....love Ballas but I think he has lost a significant amount of leg speed - possibly due to the hamstring issue this year. I hope he can go out with a big year in 2018.
We must be watching different games. He seemed fine chasing down players to me.

Having a hammy stitched back onto the bone toward the end of your career and sitting out half the season in rehab is a little more than an excuse.

It's also a red flag that an older guy who hasn't been in form for two years now might not be worth re-signing.

We're not talking about backing a Fyfe to get back to his best here, we're talking about a guy who hasn't shown his best for a long time and looked every bit past it even before his injury. At the very least you'd think it would make him a low priority re-signing once all other avenues have been explored.

Hope he proves me wrong but this isn't a decision I would have made considering we're in rebuild mode.

It's hard for a small forward to be "in form" when their team is going badly. This, coupled with injury problems have made it a hard row to hoe for Balla's.

One of the key things I always think is important is that you don't bone your true stalwarts just because you're in rebuild and they get near 30. Melbourne and others have done that and it always seems to make the rebuild tougher. Balla's would only just qualify as a stalwart given his late start, but he has an AA guernsey and I feel like he still is part of the fabric of the club. On field he still has his tackling pressure and most of his pace (and yes his ability to lose his feet at the most inopportune times). I also can't think of anyone currently on the list that can play his pure small forward role better. So a one year extension on moderate money? Tick.

We balanced this perfectly with Pav and I feel we're doing it right with Balla's as well. If we get Matera in and he naturally takes over during 2018, that's perfect transition in my book.

For the avoidance of doubt I wouldn't put someone like Spurr in that category, despite the blood spilt and leadership role. Imo he has already been overtaken by youngsters on field.

Hope he proves me wrong but this isn't a decision I would have made considering we're in rebuild mode.

Maybe I am being optimistic, but I hope this means we are going to trade out some of C grade players for late picks.

I assume he is only getting paid 150k, which is lot compared to what he would earn outside of football but not much for an AFL players especially one who trains hard and is a good role model.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard for a small forward to be "in form" when their team is going badly. This, coupled with injury problems have made it a hard row to hoe for Balla's.

One of the key things I always think is important is that you don't bone your true stalwarts just because you're in rebuild and they get near 30. Melbourne and others have done that and it always seems to make the rebuild tougher. Balla's would only just qualify as a stalwart given his late start, but he has an AA guernsey and I feel like he still is part of the fabric of the club. On field he still has his tackling pressure and most of his pace (and yes his ability to lose his feet at the most inopportune times). I also can't think of anyone currently on the list that can play his pure small forward role better. So a one year extension on moderate money? Tick.

We balanced this perfectly with Pav and I feel we're doing it right with Balla's as well. If we get Matera in and he naturally takes over during 2018, that's perfect transition in my book.

For the avoidance of doubt I wouldn't put someone like Spurr in that category, despite the blood spilt and leadership role. Imo he has already been overtaken by youngsters on field.
Agree, especially with so many other people we can delist.

I don't mind it really.

Matera in and Ballas still here means Sonny is a permanent midfielder.

Blakely should be a permanent midfielder too, especially if we get Wilson.

Would allow Weller, the two Hills and Langdon to rotate trough HF/bench with Bennell.

I would however be looking for another small forward in this draft

Ballas McCarthy (Cox) Matera
Bennell, Taberner, Weller
S Hill Neale B Hill
Hughes, A Pearce Wilson
Ryan Hamling Logue

Darcy Fyfe Walters

Inter: Blakely, Langdon, Darcy Tucker, Mundy

Works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't mind it really.

Would allow Weller, the two Hills and Langdon to rotate trough HF/bench with Bennell.

S Hill Neale B Hill
Hughes, A Pearce Wilson
Ryan Hamling Logue

Darcy Fyfe Walters

Works for me

A couple of problems:
1. No Sandi?
2. No Johnno?

If Sandi is fit he will be no. 1 ruck on opening day.
We don't extend a club legend's contract and send him to Rushton Park.

A couple of months ago RTB made it clear Ballas and Johnno would be offered contracts in 2018. Ballas has already signed, no word yet on Johnno.
Maybe Johnno retires, if he doesn't he'll have first call on a backline position.

Really hope part of the deal is a free pair of boots with longer stops.
Beat me to it. It's beyond a bloody joke now how often he goes to ground. So flipping annoying. (For the record, I'm happy for him to have 1 more year. His field kicking is still bloody good. Just needs to get more of it now :$)

I don't mind it really.

S Hill Neale B Hill
Hughes, A Pearce Wilson
Ryan Hamling Logue

Darcy Fyfe Walters

Works for me

Sorry to hijack the Ballas thread but do people really see A Pearce coming back after 2 years out and holding down CHB for the season. Maybe at Peel but not Dockers.

Sorry to hijack the Ballas thread but do people really see A Pearce coming back after 2 years out and holding down CHB for the season. Maybe at Peel but not Dockers.
Hopefully with Pearce we'll see the benefits of the new rehab facilities at Cockburn. If he's ready to go for preseason, and remains injury free, we'll probably manage his minutes like we've done with Tucker and Blakely over the last couple of years.

Maybe I am being optimistic, but I hope this means we are going to trade out some of C grade players for late picks.

I assume he is only getting paid 150k, which is lot compared to what he would earn outside of football but not much for an AFL players especially one who trains hard and is a good role model.
Think he was a restricted free agent this year - meaning he's one of the top paid at the club. With the increased TPP, Fyfe not really chewing that up, no monster signings on the cards (that we know of), I'm guessing ballas won't be seeing much of a salary decrease - I mean, we gotta pay someone.

If I put my optimistic hat on, I look at how bad Walters was as a small forward this year. He only improved after heavily rotating through the midfield. I'm hoping that's a sign that any small forward would struggle in our team atm, and somehow, maybe, hopefully we improve next year and ballas can snag 30+.

When I remove that hat, I think shit, what a waste of a list spot. Couldn't we just sign Liam Ryan as a rookie instead?

Fair dinkum.

Can somebody play Devils Advocate and explain why.
Plain and Simple... Ballantyne is past his prime and can still offer something in 2018. Saying that, Look at our smalls in the forward line: Walters, Ballas, Harley bennell, Grey and even Nyhuis and DeLuca. Competition for those spots means players will fight hard for those spots and try and perform better. That has t be a good thing.

Another thing I will say as well... Yarran, Ibbo and Dawson has been shown the door. Balic apparently wants to go back to Victoria. Tabs, Griffin and Collins are out of contract too. So that's 3 players gone and potentially up to 6-7 players leaving all up. So far we have a 1st rounder, no 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder and 2 4th rounders a 5th and 6th rounder. So that's picks 5, 41, 55 and 58 as our 1st 4 picks and pick 73 and 91.

people are kidding themselfs if they think he is playing for peel under ross lyon if you have enough points in the bank you are playing NO MATTER WHAT
You sure about that? Zac Dawson played our 1st 2 games and both were crap games. Once Ross Lyon went full on youf policy, Dawson was behind Hamling, logue and Collins. Danyle pearce practically suffered the same fate too.

things people said about Daniel Pearce
Danyle pearce suffered the same fate as Dawson did. Once we went full youth policy, he wasn't going to get much games either. Don't know why he got games in rounds 8-10. Only reason I though he got games late in the season vs the suns and swans is that we were down to our bare ones in players and a lot of guys were injured.

things people said about Zac Dawson
Again... I think after round 2, I knew it was going to be a long year for us. After Dawson was atrocious both against Geelong at home and that 89 point loss vs Port Power the week after, you knew he was finished. After round 2, Cox, Logue and Collins got games over Dawson and rightfully so.

The only way Dawson was ever going to get a game for Freo after round 2 this year was that every Tall defender was injured or suspended. So basically Dawson was behind Hamling, Johnson, Cox, Logue and Collins.

You sure about that? Zac Dawson played our 1st 2 games and both were crap games. Once Ross Lyon went full on youf policy, Dawson was behind Hamling, logue and Collins. Danyle pearce practically suffered the same fate too.

yeah but there is one difference ross has basically given up all thoese players except ballas

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hayden Ballantyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back