Head High Contact- The Stats...

Remove this Banner Ad

johnny_barker_27

Senior List
Jul 25, 2007
wodonga
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just wondering if anyone has access to the stats..
e.g. which players have received the most frees for high tackles?

Read or heard somewhere that Toby McLean, James Sicily, Allen Christensen are up there. Assuming Selwood is 1? Shuey...

Does anyone have a source/link to the actual stats for head high??

This was from a month ago

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/2b223400a4f314eab6220c73272513eb

HIGH TACKLE FREE KICKS AWARDED THIS SEASON

Player High Tackle Free Kicks
Toby McLean (WB) 14
Allen Christensen (BL) 13
Joel Selwood (Geel) 10
George Hewett (Syd) 9
Anthony Miles (Rich) 8
Jack Ziebell (NM) 6
Luke Shuey (WCE) 6
James Sicily (Haw) 6
Hamish Hartlett (PtA) 6
Sam Mitchell (Haw) 6

Club
Free Kicks (High Tackles)
Western Bulldogs 60 (45)
Melbourne 45 (25)
Sydney Swans 44 (30)
Brisbane Lions 43 (28)
Hawthorn 42 (27)

Player
High Tackle Free Kicks (2012-16)
Joel Selwood (Geel) 157
Allen Christensen (Geel/BL) 97
Luke Shuey (WCE) 92
Anthony Miles (GWS/Rich) 81
Trent Cotchin (Rich) 67
Marc Murphy (Carl) 65
Paul Puopolo (Haw) 65
Andrew Swallow (NM) 62
Toby Greene (GWS) 59
Sam Mitchell (Haw) 57

subhero_1_4_birdwatching.jpg

"Damn, not one of them ducks is Lindsay Thomas. I thought he was the biggest duck of them all..."

This was from a month ago

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/2b223400a4f314eab6220c73272513eb

HIGH TACKLE FREE KICKS AWARDED THIS SEASON

Player High Tackle Free Kicks
Toby McLean (WB) 14
Allen Christensen (BL) 13
Joel Selwood (Geel) 10
George Hewett (Syd) 9
Anthony Miles (Rich) 8
Jack Ziebell (NM) 6
Luke Shuey (WCE) 6
James Sicily (Haw) 6
Hamish Hartlett (PtA) 6
Sam Mitchell (Haw) 6

Club
Free Kicks (High Tackles)
Western Bulldogs 60 (45)
Melbourne 45 (25)
Sydney Swans 44 (30)
Brisbane Lions 43 (28)
Hawthorn 42 (27)

Player
High Tackle Free Kicks (2012-16)
Joel Selwood (Geel) 157
Allen Christensen (Geel/BL) 97
Luke Shuey (WCE) 92
Anthony Miles (GWS/Rich) 81
Trent Cotchin (Rich) 67
Marc Murphy (Carl) 65
Paul Puopolo (Haw) 65
Andrew Swallow (NM) 62
Toby Greene (GWS) 59
Sam Mitchell (Haw) 57

Since then that Brisbane player got 10 in his first 2 games.

Would be interesting to track these over the next month.

Umpires were ignoring legitimate high hits yesterday so clearly we have another rule of the week brewing...

When is the media going to turn the heat on its lovechild Joel Selwood??

Thats right...never

He gets the ball a little more often than Christensen

Thats right...never
Correct. They don't just pay him high frees. They don't just fall over themselves paying him high frees any more, it's gone even beyond that. They seem to actually go looking for it, they wait for it to happen, then they fall all over themselves.

I think some players leave doubt as to what they are trying to do. Plenty take the contact and get the ball out, rather than wrap up the ball and fall into an arm. I don't mind attempts to evade. When I see a player look at an opponent, put the head down and head towards them I cringe. When I see a player back into contact when he could have gone another way to try to evade or could have got the ball out I cringe.

The free kicks don't tell you exactly what the circumstances were, whether they nearly have their head taken off, whether it was incidental and not dangerous or how much was purely down to tackling technique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats right...never
Because they understand football, in that unlike Puopolo and Sicily who tend to fall into an arm. Selwood breaks tackles and plays on. In other words he is playing football, big difference.

Correct. They don't just pay him high frees. They don't just fall over themselves paying him high frees any more, it's gone even beyond that. They seem to actually go looking for it, they wait for it to happen, then they fall all over themselves.
That's not true. Just because he plays for a side we hate doesn't mean there is some sort of conspiracy to help them win.

So your point in relation to Joel Selwood is, the umpires look at the contest, wait for high contact to occur, and if it does they pay a free kick?

Those slimy campaigners.

What would be more interesting is who gets it paid against them the most.

Not sure about now but I reckon in 08 it had to be Buddy. He had about 3 going against him per game or atleast it seemed like it.

Stats posted above seem to fit - Puopolo for example falling down the recent rankings but one of the worst in the last few years. Umpires maybe adjusting for him whereas Sicily is new to them and still getting the frees.

Cannot wait for the umpires to stop calling a free if it is clear the player has dropped his knees deliberately to draw the free. It is a blight on the game and will stop as soon as umpires fix the call and players start getting pinged for HTB (having had prior) instead of rewarded with a free kick and particularly a shot on goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Head High Contact- The Stats...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back