MRP / Trib. Isaac Heeney - High contact on Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats been done to death mate
It might have been done to death, but MF still seems confused.
Yes his arm made contact but unless Heeney has eyes at the back of his head he would of not known his head was that low.

Nothing wrong with Heeneys neck. Much like a bump, it's up to him to make sure he doesn't get him in the head.

If you can show that it happens often enough to be deemed "usual" that an illegal hold on a leading player results in the defending player stumbling and ending up with their face at low chest height.
So you’re asking if it’s usual for a player to intend to strike another player low, but because of the movement of the other player they hit them high instead?

Yes, that’s not at all uncommon.

They very simply could have been suspensions in 2022 and 2023.
The Cripps one still was. Carlton found a legal loophole that had nothing to do with the actual case - the initial appeal were too lazy to list all the reasons why it was a suspension. The AFL immediately closed that loophole which is why it wasn't successful tonight when Sydney tried using it again.

The Maynard one was technically still just a smother gone wrong- and again they've immediately rewritten the laws to make it a suspension.

Note I am pointing mainly at the Tribunal, not the AFL. But they’re complicit, they seemed to find their voice with Toby Greene didn’t they?

The Tribunal system is so deeply flawed and leaves itself so open to accusations of bias and favouritism, because of decisions like the ones I’ve quoted. That’s why I quoted them. The bullsh*t about legal arguments when the AFL can openly make statements like “precedent doesn’t apply” leaves itself open to basically, on occasions, reach the decision they want rather than the ones they clearly should.

I could point to Pendlebury off the ball with a deliberate hit (albeit low) earlier in the year, or Charlie Cameron (again), or Zerk Thatcher getting away with high contact causing concussion to Naughton just this week) as further examples of how ridiculous this Heeney one is. Oh, that’s right, they’re all correct decisions.

Are you considering the AFL/MRO and the Tribunal to be one and the same? At the end of the day, the Tribunal is independent to the MRO/AFL and the Tribunal makes decisions that sometimes backs the MRO/AFL up, and sometimes drives them insane (the Cripps and Maynard ones being examples of that: the AFL tried to suspend them and they got their wings clipped, for different reasons). Likewise I doubt the MRO/AFL was very happy with the Charlie Cameron situation. I think a broad statement like "the tribunal has never been better" would just a bit weird from the AFL, but I just don't think they're worth bringing up here. The AFL has tired to fix up the Cripps and Maynard situlations so next time they happen, they are banned. Heeney just didn't have the benefit of a similar loop-hole here.

So you’re asking if it’s usual for a player to intend to strike another player low, but because of the movement of the other player they hit them high instead?

How often does it happen in a game would you guess based on your observation vs. Swinging low and connecting with the arms or body?

Apparently its intentional that Heeney hit him in the head while having his back turned to him!!

Thats some good spider senses he has

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sucks that he’s suspended but god damn Sydney deserve to be missing their best player purely for thinking the video of Heeney was necessary.

Ah yes, the famous "get out of jail free card" where you still spend a week in jail. Great wording, did you happen to write this nonsensical rule for the AFL?
I'm not surprised to see overly emotional Swans supporters struggling to pick up on the obvious, given the vast majority were way off the mark during this.

The get out of jail free card was the ability to appeal it down to a fine due to the low impact grading. When the visual impact and the blood nose would indicate that it probably should've been medium impact and they'd be arguing 2 weeks down to 1.

The still spending the week in jail part was either down to the ineptitude of the defence, or the fact that there just wasn't enough wriggle room in what he did vs the written rules.

Apparently its intentional that Heeney hit him in the head while having his back turned to him!!

Thats some good spider senses he has
You complain about it being done to death, and then post as if you haven't read or understood a single article or post about why it has to be Intentional.

He Intentionally swung his arm back to hit him. Where it actually hit Webster is irrelevant when grading if it was Intentional or Careless.

You complain about it being done to death, and then post as if you haven't read or understood a single article or post about why it has to be Intentional.

He Intentionally swung his arm back to hit him. Where it actually hit Webster is irrelevant when grading if it was Intentional or Careless.

No they are posters implying he wanted to wack him in the head on purpose

I know this is BigFooty and we shouldn't expect much in the way of constructive input from individuals posting on a social media type platform, but gee whiz most people seem to really prefer conflict over finding agreement on common ground.

Do all the people who agree that the correct decision has been made (and from the rule, I most likely fall into this category) actually believe that he should be ruled out of the Brownlow Medal on the basis of this incident? I do not.

To me, this is the cause of probably over 80% of the consternation over this incident.

As to whether or not I agree with the rule itself, well, that is not a decision made in a vacuum...by which I mean, there are other rules that seem to involve hypocrisy in that a player like Butters is still eligible for the Brownlow even after he hit players deliberately off the ball. Isn't it those non-football actions that should preclude a player from being judged "Fairest" along with the "Best" rather than this incident as an example?

Good. No place for snipers in our game. Have fun on the sidelines!
This out of character incident aside (not that this incident was sniperish in any way), I've seen nothing from Heeney to suggest he's a sniper.
He broke a rule and got a penalty. That's all. No need to label him like that.

This out of character incident aside (not that this incident was sniperish in any way), I've seen nothing from Heeney to suggest he's a sniper.
He broke a rule and got a penalty. That's all. No need to label him like that.
Just mucking around, but I'm glad he's not playing this week!

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Isaac Heeney - High contact on Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back