Head High Contact- The Stats...

Remove this Banner Ad

How can he move the tacklers arms up if they are under his armpits?

Are you fair dinkum?

Why would any player tackle under the armpits and allow an easy handball out to a teammate? You'd last about 5 minutes in the AFL with a tackling style like that. The point of a tackle is to prevent the player from getting an effective disposal out.

Seriously..... what a shit tackle

It was a shit tackle because the club knows Sicily is a quack and the instructions to defenders are to go low on him because he will flop like a fish out of water.

Are you fair dinkum?

Why would any player tackle under the armpits and allow an easy handball out to a teammate? You'd last about 5 minutes in the AFL with a tackling style like that. The point of a tackle is to prevent the player from getting an effective disposal out.

Of course. I posted it to get this response and make my point.

Firstly, yes it results in the player being able to release the ball but it prevents the tackle being able to slip high. So agree, it's a terrible tackling technique from a negating perspective but it guarantees the tackle can't slip high.

Alternatively, the tackler can tackle around the arms and try and negate the player releasing the ball (i.e. an effective tackling technique) and he simply has to be strong enough to keep his arms in that position. The duty of the player with the ball is to release the ball (or lock it up) which Selwood attempts to do, sometimes resulting in a free from the manner in which he breaks the tackle.

So pick one, tackle in a manner which allows the player to release the ball but never go high, or tackle in a manner that has a chance to negate but which good players will exploit if you're not good enough to stick it.

Paul Puopolo eat your heart out.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
Yep. But just like Beatlemania there are plenty of imitators. Eg: Pops has got a head-high free close to 100 (!) times less than Selwood between 2012-16. Imagine if I gave a flying or had the time what a visual compilation I could put together!

Selwood is a sensational ducker and has gone platinum and really defined that ducking sound - an innovator:

Quack Quacky Quack Quack

Quack Quack-Quack Quack Quacky-Quack

(Sing it along to "I wanna hold your hand" - its awesome!)

Now we have HEAPS of players injuring their heads. He's so awesomely innovative.

Last edited:
Is there a correlation between height and number of head high tackles?

Looking at the list, some of the top ones (Christensen, Puopolo, Mitchell etc) would be in the lower percentages of height in the AFL.

This is purely anecdotal but I feel that the greater the height differential between two players the harder it is to tackle them legally.
Undoubtedly although also relevant to the fact that they can get away with it more

Never had an issue with Selwood, Thomas, Puopolo, or anyone ducking to be honest.

Players should be smart enough to know that players will do it, and adjust their tackling accordingly. The reason the "throw the arm up" tactic works is because players are attempting to pin the arms to get a holding the ball free kick. The counter attack from the player with the ball is to turn this free kick against into a free kick for. Fair play in my opinion, and within the rules of the game.

If you're not strong enough to keep a players arm / shoulder down, don't try to, and be smarter. Tackle the hips as so many of us were taught to as juniors.

Then again, I don't think anyone ever claimed AFL players to be the smartest going around ...

That is absolute filth.

Seriously? He was trying to avoid the player by changing directions. To do that you lower your centre of gravity exactly like he did a few seconds earlier in that clip when he didn't have the ball

Personally I don't think an arm over the shoulder without force should be called for a high tackle but that is the rule currently. The player has every right to change direction, go low, twist or do whatever they can to avoid being tackled. The only thing I don't like is staging for a free kick - ie theatrically throwing ones head back when there has been little or no contact. Sicily doesn't do that, neither does Puopolo. I have never seen Selwood do it either. There are plenty that do it regularly and their coach or team mates need to have a word to them. Occasionally there will be a flinch when there isn't contact but that can be the brain acting on instinct.

People let their dislike of a team cloud their judgement. Trying to avoid being tackled by an opposition player is not cheating.

Are you fair dinkum?

Yes, but isn't that just tough sh1t for the tackler. Players have shown that there are ways of creating an incorrect disposal, without resorting to tackling around the shoulders. Holding one of the arms (without doing a chicken wing) is the best method. All head high tackles should be paid, end of story. I have no problem with Selwood, Poppy, Sicily or Lindsay. My only issues is that Lindsay is now the only one paying for the stupid backlash. Happily, that's all ended now. Unfortunately, Brad Scott had to make a fool of himself to ensure that the conversation has now changed regarding Lindsay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the life of me I can't see how he 'ducked'. Sicilys head is up, not ducked down. He is upright. Yes his knees are bent but so are the other players knees. I agree that he was wanting a high tackle free but let's say he took Thompson on to draw it, but this picture doesn't show a 'duck'. If Thompson had got only 4 or 6 inches lower it would have been HTB because Sicily took him on. But alas, Thompson didn't.

upload_2016-6-21_10-0-27.png

Last edited:
Never had an issue with Selwood, Thomas, Puopolo, or anyone ducking to be honest.

Players should be smart enough to know that players will do it, and adjust their tackling accordingly. The reason the "throw the arm up" tactic works is because players are attempting to pin the arms to get a holding the ball free kick. The counter attack from the player with the ball is to turn this free kick against into a free kick for. Fair play in my opinion, and within the rules of the game.

If you're not strong enough to keep a players arm / shoulder down, don't try to, and be smarter. Tackle the hips as so many of us were taught to as juniors.

Then again, I don't think anyone ever claimed AFL players to be the smartest going around ...
Adjust their tackling when players duck into the tackler? Please. Players getting tackled deliberately throwing the arms up has nothing to do with strength, it's an instant reaction to draw a free. You can't expect the tackler to adjust when the tackled player throws his head back and plays up to it. It's called prior opportunity, and if you want to duck or throw the arms up you forfeit your chance to dispose of the ball correctly. Simple.

Yes, but isn't that just tough sh1t for the tackler. Players have shown that there are ways of creating an incorrect disposal, without resorting to tackling around the shoulders. Holding one of the arms (without doing a chicken wing) is the best method. All head high tackles should be paid, end of story. I have no problem with Selwood, Poppy, Sicily or Lindsay. My only issues is that Lindsay is now the only one paying for the stupid backlash. Happily, that's all ended now. Unfortunately, Brad Scott had to make a fool of himself to ensure that the conversation has now changed regarding Lindsay.
All head high tackles should be paid? You're kidding me. It's no surprise a North fan is advocating this, Thomas wouldn't get a kick if he couldn't cheat. Nor could Puopolo. Selwood and Mitchell at least win their own ball, but still duck their heads.

It's blatant cheating. The sooner umpires pull all these clowns up on it the better.

For thew life of me I can't see how he 'ducked'. Sicily head is up, not ducked down.He is upright. Yes his knees are bent but so are the other players knees. I agree that he was wanting a high tackle free but let's say he took Thompson on to draw it, but this picture doesn't show a 'duck'. If Thompson had got only 4 or 6 inches lower it would have been HTB because Sicily took him on. But alas, Thompson didn't.

View attachment 259008
You see the problem here? Too many what ifs. How are the umpires supposed to officiate this properly.

You agree that he wants a high tackle? Let's say he took Thompson on to draw it? You've basically just said he ducked!

All head high tackles should be paid? You're kidding me. It's no surprise a North fan is advocating this, Thomas wouldn't get a kick if he couldn't cheat. Nor could Puopolo. Selwood and Mitchell at least win their own ball, but still duck their heads.

It's blatant cheating. The sooner umpires pull all these clowns up on it the better.
Here we go. Blah, blah, blah. Partisan, partisan, partisan. Which planet are you on not to have noticed that every team has been pulled into this issue? All these players tend to be on the small/smallish side. It stands to reason. These type of players have been ducking and weaving since the beginning of time - it's their best option for avoiding tackles from bigger-bodied opponents. Yeah, sure, they are getting a bit of the benefit of the high tackle ruling. However, I don't think it's such an earth-shattering issue. This whole things is a beat-up. It's nothing to do with whether I support North or not.

You see the problem here? Too many what ifs. How are the umpires supposed to officiate this properly.

You agree that he wants a high tackle? Let's say he took Thompson on to draw it? You've basically just said he ducked!
And another thing, guaranteed, the guy you've named youself after, would, I'm sure be up to his neck (lol) in this debate too - if he was still playing, that is. :)

No

Adjust your tackling technique to not tackle their arms in the first place, thus not giving them the opportunity for a free kick

Gerard Healy has been saying this for years - the tackler has 2 options - tackle low or tackle high. If you go high you run the risk of the player being tackled shrugging the arms and drawing an around the neck free

Of course. I posted it to get this response and make my point.

Firstly, yes it results in the player being able to release the ball but it prevents the tackle being able to slip high. So agree, it's a terrible tackling technique from a negating perspective but it guarantees the tackle can't slip high.

Alternatively, the tackler can tackle around the arms and try and negate the player releasing the ball (i.e. an effective tackling technique) and he simply has to be strong enough to keep his arms in that position. The duty of the player with the ball is to release the ball (or lock it up) which Selwood attempts to do, sometimes resulting in a free from the manner in which he breaks the tackle.

So pick one, tackle in a manner which allows the player to release the ball but never go high, or tackle in a manner that has a chance to negate but which good players will exploit if you're not good enough to stick it.

Hang on, you're admitting that Selwood (no doubt others as well) deliberately moves the tackler's arms upwards in order to get a free kick, and you think the player should be rewarded for that? You think it should be a quality that all players should be aspiring to - tricking umpires into getting free kicks by turning otherwise legal tackles into tackles which appear illegal?

If you genuinely believe that, then there's not much point arguing about it, because we're poles apart on what constitutes the spirit of the game.

Deliberately ducking one's head to draw a free should not be condoned, but if the tackler is lazy in executing his tackle, and the player being tackled is able to extricate his arms and in so doing draw an around the neck free, how is that cheating? In 2015 the AFL considered this question and said such tackles would CONTINUE to draw a free. The simple solution is for the tackler to go low

It's absolutely amazing that Geelong supporters think that what Selwood does is so different to what all the other "duckers" do.

That Gif of the Sicily free up above is a Selwood signature move. Raise the arm, make the tackle slide up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Head High Contact- The Stats...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back