heartbreak games

Remove this Banner Ad

Last years GF is the worst.

2005 Semi against sydney , living in sydney ad being at the game was demoralising.

All the GF's we lost in the 90s were bad as well!

97 semi agaijnst adelaide

one that has not been mentioned as yet, 1994 r13, hawks v fitzroy on a cold windy day at waverley. Dunstall was double teamed, and kept goaless, and we lost by 13 pts. that loss cost us the double chance in the finals, and we finished 6th and lost to north in the qualifying final in extra time and were bundled out.

2007 Semi final against Collingwood Cuz went down with a hamstring, game went to extra time the pies ran over the top of us.

Heartbreaking.

From memory im pretty sure it was Cousins last game for the club also :(

2007 Semi final against Collingwood Cuz went down with a hamstring, game went to extra time the pies ran over the top of us.

Heartbreaking.

From memory im pretty sure it was Cousins last game for the club also :(

This was heartbreaking, cuz didnt play though, he did his hammy the week before against port at aami. that was his last game, and so we played without cuz, judd, kerr.

For me though the 2006 Qualifying against sydney at subi was devastating because after losing it i thought our premiership hopes were finished after finishing top 2 and after the year before.

Surprisingly more painful than 05 GF, mainly because that day was still a brilliant day to be an eagles supporter as both teams played brilliant and wanted it so bad, it was just good to be there and see such a great game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst one in recent times was probably Round 1 2007, perfect chance to get our season off to the best start with a win against Collingwood at the G. 4 goal lead at 3 qtr time, Pies wittle it back and take the lead. Shannon Grant then has the chance to grab the lead back, but hits the post from the top of the goal square. We go down by three points.

Another agonising round one defeat was in 1999, where we gave away a 40+ point lead against Geelong. Heartbreaking start to the year given what had happened in the previous years' grand final.

Also Round 22 last year against Port. Not so much heartbreaking, as it was unbelievably mystifying and shocking beyond belief.

For strictly home and away games mine was probably a game not many others would remember, the Cats coming of a PF in 2004 and up against the Dees early (maybe Rd 1?) in 2005.

Went in the MCC members with my footy captain at the time and his dad (Dees supporters). Thought 2005 was Geelong's big chance to get back to a grand final for the first time in ten years. Then the game started and Melbourne smashed us...it was unbelievable. This was the year Cam Bruce was favourite for the Brownlow for the first month of the year. Bruce, Green, Robbo...they ran riot. Sitting in the Members just made it worse, I wonder if anyone has torn up an MCC membership after a tough loss before...?

...and you found no consolation in the elimination final? Now that WAS a demoralizing game. I couldn't see how Geelong could beat us, given we beat them twice throughout the season, (including a rare win at Skilled) but then it all went very wrong. Who could forget Jeff White having his face rearranged by Steven King's boot, only for Mark Thompson to later say that King was lucky he didn't break his foot on White's face!

If we're just counting H&A games here, there was one in 2004, I believe - an undefeated St Kilda with 9 wins taking on Brisbane, sitting on 8-1. Behind for most of the evening, we came home hard to be leading in the final minute, only for Brisbane to start chipping the ball around in the D50, which led to a turnover, kick, mark, goal, Saints victory. That was a hard game to watch.

As a sidenote, that MAY have been the game where Thomas took his team to the movies afterwards instead of training, the rest being history :p

If we're just counting H&A games here, there was one in 2004, I believe - an undefeated St Kilda with 9 wins taking on Brisbane, sitting on 8-1. Behind for most of the evening, we came home hard to be leading in the final minute, only for Brisbane to start chipping the ball around in the D50, which led to a turnover, kick, mark, goal, Saints victory. That was a hard game to watch.

As a sidenote, that MAY have been the game where Thomas took his team to the movies afterwards instead of training, the rest being history :p

Nah that was round 10 Against Carlton when he took em to the movies. Far out he was a dumb coach in comparison to Lyon. With Rossy in 2004-5 We could've made the Grand Final on both occasions.

Side note, I know it's meant to be heartbreak games but that was the best game until round 14 this year. I remember it with precise detail "Voss, Schwarze now, the defender, can run, and from a long way... ROOST IT! AND PUT THE SAINTS IN FRONT!" What made it better was the Aussie Jones kick out on the full :D. Don't judge me harshly though everyone hated Brisbane back in 04'

Neale Daniher's last game coaching Melbourne against the Bombers - we were going to win it for him and f**king Scott Lucas stayed at the back of a pack and it comes straight to him. He puts it through from the goal square, Dons hit the front with 5 seconds left.

Also, Semi-Final versus Adelaide in 2002 seriously broke my heart. We played the best two quarters I've ever seen us play, back-to-back, and we still lost! So gutted, and am still not over it.

For Freo, there's been plenty of heartbreak. It's hard to work out where to start as any loss gets greeted with anger and the odd tirade or 3.

I guess though there's one game that sums it up. Round 7 2008. Melbourne vs Fremantle. Small crowd, sunny day. Freo romp over Melbourne and lead by 50 points at half-time. Demons then come roaring back and 2 Pavlich goals late in the third see us maintain a 32 point lead. I switch seats at three-quarter time and the Demons slam on 9 goals to 2 in the final quarter to win by a goal. I was sore after hitting a rubbish bin in disgust.

Then again, you could go Round 9 this year. North Melbourne vs Fremantle. We dominate the first quarter to lead by 4 goals. From there, we fall in a heap as North Melbourne got over the line by 13 points aided by umpire Steve McBurney and his hangers-on. The umpires copped it at the end as a result and I then became convinced of a conspiracy against Fremantle. Double heartbreak as my parents have to put up with my delusion

Side note, I know it's meant to be heartbreak games but that was the best game until round 14 this year. I remember it with precise detail "Voss, Schwarze now, the defender, can run, and from a long way... ROOST IT! AND PUT THE SAINTS IN FRONT!" What made it better was the Aussie Jones kick out on the full :D. Don't judge me harshly though everyone hated Brisbane back in 04'

Oh dear god, don't even start me. To this day I can't watch teams playing the defensive 50 chip the ball around game without cringing, even if there's 5 minutes left in the last quarter and they're up by 10 goals. :(

97 P.F final by miles. But in accordance with the O.P, round 21 2005 where we had all the momentum heading for the 8 having disposed of West Coast and Adelaide and to lead all night against Melbourne before a soft free kick to Jeff White leads to the winning goal.

Heartbreak was only compounded the following week, when after disposing of a lowly Collingwood, Essendon with nothing to play for nearly takes Melbourne out of the finals equation before running out of legs and leaving us resigned to 9th.

Today was pretty bad. But nothing in my mind compares to that game against Port Adelaide in tassie back in 2007. The Power needed 2 goals in one minute and guess what they did?

Very heartbreaking.
imo the reason port played off for the flag instead of us was because of the result of this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

heartbreak games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back