Toast Heath Hocking

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Heath Hocking:The Mooroolbark kid cements his spot

Another good game from Hocking. Handled the hard hits from the big Geelong bodies and and showed solid skills while under pressure.

Slattery should watch his tape and learn a thing or two....

Slattery should watch his tape and learn a thing or two....

They play different roles, yet when Hocking was asked to perform the role Slattery plays, Slatts performed it better.

Slatts has nothing to learn from Hocking, but Hocking did play another good game (once back in the midfield).

They play different roles, yet when Hocking was asked to perform the role Slattery plays, Slatts performed it better.

Slatts has nothing to learn from Hocking, but Hocking did play another good game (once back in the midfield).

How many games has Slattery play more than Hocking?

I know Slattery is one of your favs,and he does have the odd good game where he blankets an opponent, but f--k me, I counted 6 times where Slattery was trying to punch from behind with no hope what so ever of spoiling the ball. He didn't even get close to it.

He's slow and can't turn quickly and it shows when he plays on the super quick forwards. They burn him bad every time.

Hocking goes harder at the ball than Slatts and dishes out the ball while under pressure better, Henry fumbles and can't read the ball well enough.

And he drives an Audi.

I was being sarcastic saying could learn something off him, Slattery just hasn't convinced me yet he's going to be a consistently solid,reliable player.

I have to admit thinking that he was a waste of a spot and until this year I hadn't seen much to think otherwise.

I actually really like him. He is a great size for a tagger and wins enough of the ball himself. Longterm he is probably competing with Lonergan for a spot in the side which is a shame because they are both likeable players.

Looked at sea as a defender yesterday and doesn't seem to be the defender I hoped he might be. Having said that, he was thrown to the wolves against Geelong and maybe he just needs more time down back.

Love this kid.

He is like the Pevers MkII - had to do it the hard way but just gives everything on the field. Plus is - he has way better disposal than Pev.

The best thing was he and Lonergan stepping up when Watson got injured. Awesome signs.

Will never be a star - but has a spot in the 22 every week if he keeps this up.

Much better player in the midfield than in the back half.

The only thing he needs to do to add some polish to his game is to take the first option more often. Gets caught a couple of times a game when he has options.

Stood up when it counted last night, really impressive.

Still drop him for McVeigh though. Nice problem to have.

Very impressive last night but agree with Longy that he needs to go the first optiion more often, seems to be instructed to handball when he can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was the man that motored us in the middle in the 3rd quarter. It helped break the game open. He took over from Jobe and got the job done and you can't ask for anymore.

Undroppable at the moment and is in front of Lonergan who is also getting back to some form.

Much better player in the midfield than in the back half.

The only thing he needs to do to add some polish to his game is to take the first option more often. Gets caught a couple of times a game when he has options.

Stood up when it counted last night, really impressive.

Still drop him for McVeigh though. Nice problem to have.

I think you've just about turned full circle on young Heath. Plaudits extended.

There was a moment in the last quarter which I really liked from Buddha. Game was all over. Betts lining up for his 4th. Hocking, on the mark, was screaming at his teammates to stay focussed and man up the loose Carlscum players only 20 yards away.

He'd realised Welshy and the lads had just switched off for a moment. So he directed traffic like a true leader... like a winner.

Undroppable!

He was the man that motored us in the middle in the 3rd quarter. It helped break the game open. He took over from Jobe and got the job done and you can't ask for anymore.

Undroppable at the moment and is in front of Lonergan who is also getting back to some form.

Kelvin - agree 100% and was what I was about to post.

Undroppable!

He's not, because he can only play in the midfield.

He doesn't deserve to be dropped, but someone has to be and whilst I don't think it will be this week, it could be in a couple when Watson comes back.

I think McVeigh will come in and play down back and Hocking will continue in the middle.

But in two weeks time Watson comes in and McVeigh has two more games under his belt and is ready to spend more time in the midfield.

Watson and McVeigh are better midfielders than Hocking. That's a nice problem to have.

Slattery, McPhee and NLM are better defenders than Hocking.

We haven't seen Hocking forward, so it's an unknown. He has kicked goals from the middle, but I'm not sure if he is strong enough overhead to play a role there. That leaves me to think that Monfries and Lonergan are ahead of him from that aspect.

It's probably between Hocking and Dyson and it's a close call. I like Dyson's foot skills and the fact that he's finally taking on the game.

I like Hocking's hardness and competitiveness. But Dyson is starting to add that too and he can also play half back.

It's an extremely tough call, but I don't think Hocking is in our best 22 and other than Hille, we're only a couple of weeks away from having that on the park. Hocking as a pure midfielder, doesn't get in.

It's probably between Hocking and Dyson and it's a close call. I like Dyson's foot skills and the fact that he's finally taking on the game.

I was thinking that earlier when posting about Dyson and put him up as one possibly making way.... but I'm not sure if it's really the case.

I'd rather both in the side ahead of Skipworth tbh. Surely we could rotate guys through Skippy's position and keep Hocking and Dyson in?

I was thinking that earlier when posting about Dyson and put him up as one possibly making way.... but I'm not sure if it's really the case.

I'd rather both in the side ahead of Skipworth tbh. Surely we could rotate guys through Skippy's position and keep Hocking and Dyson in?

Yeah he's the other one.

But he keeps kicking goals and finding the footy.
He actually averages more disposals than Dyson, who averages more disposals than Hocking. And he plays almost exclusively as a forward.

I'm glad I'm not a selector, but I just think Dyson and Skipworth offer more when not in the midfield than Hocking does.

The only way I would keep Hocking in the side, is if we were to play McVeigh as a small defender. But I think he's better in the midfield and pushing forward.

It's interesting but most just look at Dyson.

For me Skipworth, Lonergan and Reimers are all competing for spots. Yes Reimers. As much as I like him - he has to step it up if he wants to keep his spot. People have a fan-boy obsession with him, but at the moment I don't think he is doing enough to be a lock for the 22.

Yes I know he is coming back fom injury - but that menas two bits of sweet f'all. You have to earn your spot in the team.

Hocking is doing this more than Lonergan or Skipworth or Reimers at the moment.

Reimers yes, Skipworth no.

Lonergan, not the last two weeks. Lonergan was just as good and as important on Friday night as Hocking.

The thing is, to pick a balanced side, Reimers give us something else.

Hocking is similar in ways to Watson, Welsh, McVeigh, Prismall and all four are ahead of him.

He's competing against Skipworth and Lonergan and both offer more in other areas of the ground.

If it were only on form, Hocking would be well ahead of Reimers.

To be honest, I wouldn't have Hocking or Lonergan in my best side.

Yep, Hocking and Lonergan I would put on about par, then remiers and Dyson on par, then skipworth. Although there is something about Skipworth that just works in our team. He slips under the radar and can snag a couple of goals a week and he finihses quite well. Like I've always said, dilemas like this at the selection table are fantastic.

Also, I see a lot of Cameron Ling in Hocking...anyone else agree? The way he plays I mean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Heath Hocking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back