Heathcote DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game. Terrible hail at half time break. This then stopped. About 12 minutes in to 3rd quarter tiny hail and heavy rain that lasted maybe 5 minutes. Didn’t see any lightning. . Weather radar showed it had almost passed. Then saw players stop playing, shaking hands and game was over. Within 5 minutes, sun out. Clearer skies and no rain for at least the next 40 minutes by which time we decided to leave. Ground was wet but it drains fast as there’s a good size hill in the middle. IMO it shouldn’t have stopped but I don’t know the rules that prompted the cancellation.
Today the league went backwards. When surrounding leagues stopped play and resumed later…doesn’t reflect well on the governing body

I was at the game. Terrible hail at half time break. This then stopped. About 12 minutes in to 3rd quarter tiny hail and heavy rain that lasted maybe 5 minutes. Didn’t see any lightning. . Weather radar showed it had almost passed. Then saw players stop playing, shaking hands and game was over. Within 5 minutes, sun out. Clearer skies and no rain for at least the next 40 minutes by which time we decided to leave. Ground was wet but it drains fast as there’s a good size hill in the middle. IMO it shouldn’t have stopped but I don’t know the rules that prompted the cancellation.

Was also in attendance, Lightning in the middle of the 2nd quarter and the game didn’t stop?
Both captains I was told agreed to play on but the lady from the league wanted the game stopped.
Weather was perfectly fine 5 mins after game was stopped.
Pathetic from the heads at hdfnl stopping the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seemed to me like the umpires were hell bent on stopping the game for most of the day.

Hearing other leagues were still playing after 6pm to finish games.
As others have said the weather was ordinary but certainly not the worst I’ve seen footy played in. Stopping for the lightning to pass was all that was required and the game should have been played.

You’d be devastated if you were Heathcote. And angry.

Seemed to me like the umpires were hell bent on stopping the game for most of the day.

Hearing other leagues were still playing after 6pm to finish games.
As others have said the weather was ordinary but certainly not the worst I’ve seen footy played in. Stopping for the lightning to pass was all that was required and the game should have been played.

You’d be devastated if you were Heathcote. And angry.

Hubs fault

did heathcote stand there ground and try to push on after a delay or did the league just pull rank. this seems quite odd reading aorund other pages as to how neighboring leagues managed things.
The league pulled rank. Both teams were happy to keep playing. The umpires were happy to keep the game going. The league pulled the strings.
Incredibly poorly handled. Every other neighboring league had games completed.

The league pulled rank. Both teams were happy to keep playing. The umpires were happy to keep the game going. The league pulled the strings.
Incredibly poorly handled. Every other neighboring league had games completed.
if i was in charge of heathcote be lodging some form of complaint or appeal the decision today. coacheds players sponsors and supporters deserve better. even if its to just make some noise and get some form of logical explanation from either the Hdfl the hub as many people call it or afl house. accidents incidents injuries etc occur across a season but dedicating months and month to have someone in a match day manager role dictate your fate is just completelt wrong.

I think a few of you need to watch the game replay on SupaYou on FB. They just had the second big hailstorm of the day and there was a pool of water from the boundary line to the fence at some point a foot deep. A decent bump on the line would have players aquaplaning into the fence. Hard decision to make but the league are responsible for the safety of all concerned. Would be different complaining going on here if a player was hit by lightning, smashed into fence or drowned lol Would like to know why they didn't postpone for 1/2 hour, given that lights were available.

I think a few of you need to watch the game replay on SupaYou on FB. They just had the second big hailstorm of the day and there was a pool of water from the boundary line to the fence at some point a foot deep. A decent bump on the line would have players aquaplaning into the fence. Hard decision to make but the league are responsible for the safety of all concerned. Would be different complaining going on here if a player was hit by lightning, smashed into fence or drowned lol Would like to know why they didn't postpone for 1/2 hour, given that lights were available.
agree with everything you say, safety first always. more importantly the last line i think needs some form of clarity for not just all involved and present but outside to given the way the wrold rolls now on social media etc. good chance to make a powerful statement and double down on the safety first and the reasons why the ganme didnt return after the wether cleared.

agree with everything you say, safety first always. more importantly the last line i think needs some form of clarity for not just all involved and present but outside to given the way the wrold rolls now on social media etc. good chance to make a powerful statement and double down on the safety first and the reasons why the ganme didnt return after the wether cleared.
From the descriptions I've heard it sounds like the decision was made before the weather cleared. There was a good 2 hours of light left after the storm went through, I think people (particularly from Heathcote) are entitled to know why more time wasn't allowed to elapse before the decision was made.

The water between the boundary and the fence was rapidly drained after a few pipes were unblocked. The second hailstorm was very short. Safety must always come first, however, as you point out, there needs to be clarification regarding the second brief hailstorm causing the abandonment of the game. I personally saw no lightning at that point. Also, if the sodden ground was a factor, then footy has a bigger problem than this.

The water between the boundary and the fence was rapidly drained after a few pipes were unblocked. The second hailstorm was very short. Safety must always come first, however, as you point out, there needs to be clarification regarding the second brief hailstorm causing the abandonment of the game. I personally saw no lightning at that point. Also, if the sodden ground was a factor, then footy has a bigger problem than this.

One of the umpires has come out and said he wasn’t keen for the game to continue

Gisborne and the Camp Reserve were in worse nick over two consecutive weeks a few rounds ago.

After a couple of cold drinks in the rooms once they called the game I came out into sunshine and perfect conditions to play footy in.

That game not finishing is a complete farce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heathcote has lodged an appeal to the HDFNL board.

So they should. Sounds like there was plenty of time to restart the game, plenty of other games across the state all had the same issues with the weather and all of them managed to finish the game. What would the league have done if the scores were level instead of the 2 point margin?

I'd argue "other games across the state kept playing" is a fairly weak argument due to weather being totally different from Kangaroo Flat to White Hills let alone further.

The QEO game was also called off I believe.

So what would the outcome have been if the game was level at the time it was called off? A poster a few posts above that was at the game stated that the ground cleared up relatively well after a pipe was unblocked, the second storm was very short and he seen no lightning around the ground. Reading around other leagues it seems like a lot of games were delayed for 40 to 60 minutes yet they all waited it out and finished the game.

What are we going to play extra time on Friday night ?

Why didn't they appeal what was happening Sunday, it's a bit late now.

Also footy is a winter game, if there's no lightening, resume the game. My last game of football ever in Maldon, the ground was half under water poured all day, I reckon 5 guys went off with injuries in the first half

I get the league didn’t make the best decision but I also don’t know what heathcote are wanting now? Can’t make leitchy play 2 games on the weekend and can’t push finals out to make room for another game?

I get the league didn’t make the best decision but I also don’t know what heathcote are wanting now? Can’t make leitchy play 2 games on the weekend and can’t push finals out to make room for another game?
They are wanting justice. They've been absolutely robbed out of a chance to win a final through very poor governance. There are always options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heathcote DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back