AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City, Canberra
A few players have bulked up alot over the summer

Travis Cloke 196cm 108kg:eek:
Chris Dawes 193cm 105kg
Ben Reid 195cm 102kg
Cameron Wood 204cm 108kg (Struggling in PreSeason)
Darren Jolly 200cm 108kg
Leigh Brown 194cm 104kg
Nathan Brown 195cm 101kg

I'd be shocked if most sides "talls" weren't heavier this time of year compared to what weight they were at the end of 2010.

Most sides do the majority of their strength and development work over the pre season, and with most of our developed talls still being fairly young (Jolly the obvious exception) it's no surprise to see the likes of Cloke, Reid and Dawes still putting on weight.

I hope Nathan Brown doesn't go too far though, he improved remarkably this season when his weight dropped down from what it was in 09, when he struggled with injury and form.

Does anyone wonder if this willingness to prove that there is no premiership hangover at Collingwood, causes problems of it's own?

You wouldn't want to see excess weight put on swifter running types, or big men become so bulky they lose their mobility.

They do seem hungry though.

I'm 104kg lean 192cm. I can't believe how heavy some of these guys are considering they play AFL. Absolute credit to these tanks! 108 is a feat. If u don't believe go to the gym and try do it without putting on weight (fat). Oh and then try running a 2km time trial. No wonder wood finished last.

Does anyone wonder if this willingness to prove that there is no premiership hangover at Collingwood, causes problems of it's own?

You wouldn't want to see excess weight put on swifter running types, or big men become so bulky they lose their mobility.

They do seem hungry though.

Premiership hangover? what you wouldn't give for one eh? :D

A few players have bulked up alot over the summer

Travis Cloke 196cm 108kg:eek:
Chris Dawes 193cm 105kg
Ben Reid 195cm 102kg
Cameron Wood 204cm 108kg (Struggling in PreSeason)
Darren Jolly 200cm 108kg
Leigh Brown 194cm 104kg
Nathan Brown 195cm 101kg

Where do you get your info?

I don't how much faith to put in these type of figures, they often seen to be manipulated by clubs. For what reason , I do not know.

I think the Clubs Measurements are a bit off at times;)

Considering Dawes was listed at 99kg in the 2010 AFL Prospectus, and looked very muscular at that weight, he must be entering Schwarzenneger territory at 105kg if it's all extra muscle.
Dawes was interviewed (forgotten when) and said in the U18s he weighed over 100kg but now he's lost a lot of puppy fat and is a lot more muscle. Some people find it easy to go up and down in weight, others struggle (Seedsman). A lot of it is down to eating habits.

I don't how much faith to put in these type of figures, they often seen to be manipulated by clubs. For what reason , I do not know.
Me either. They are often total BS and i have no idea why they do it.

You are best to let your eyes be the judge of these things I find.

In any event, David Buttifant has proven that he something of a guru and whatever he has planned (and i hear he is meticulous) for each player I have no concerns about. The man knows his stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big focus going on power in the AFL now as opposed to just fitness as was the case in the past.

If your key forwards are big and powerful and can take a contested grab (assuming good delivery), then they don't need to be that fit since they should theoretically never need to leave the forward 50 arc.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was their actual weight last season and that we just didn't know it.

I swear A Rocca was always a truck load heavier than the 104kg they always had him listed at.

Big focus going on power in the AFL now as opposed to just fitness as was the case in the past.

If your key forwards are big and powerful and can take a contested grab (assuming good delivery), then they don't need to be that fit since they should theoretically never need to leave the forward 50 arc.

Not sure about that Spesh. And particularly in relation to our team. Dawes and Clokes main strengths are their ability to run their opponent over. Pushing up to the wing, repeat efforts as well as flexibility to interchange between deep forward and higher up the ground.

Not sure about that Spesh. And particularly in relation to our team. Dawes and Clokes main strengths are their ability to run their opponent over. Pushing up to the wing, repeat efforts as well as flexibility to interchange between deep forward and higher up the ground.

Agree with that, stay at home FF's have been dying for a long time and are now as dead as ever. CHF and FF are an ever merging position. The fact is, with the evolution of the defensive tactics in football teams are too good at reading the big bomb to a one out foward, more often then not a third man will get in to kill the contest and as such fowards can't just park it and try and beat a defender one on one.

More and more fowards have to create linking options high up the ground, try to blow their opponents up with repeat efforts, find the ball running back towards goal, and cover a massive amount of ground defensively.

I'd hope Reid hasn't gone to far you don't want him sacrificing his pace off the mark too much in the search for strength.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was their actual weight last season and that we just didn't know it.

I swear A Rocca was always a truck load heavier than the 104kg they always had him listed at.

spot on

alot of the bigger boys are surely a lot heavier than quoted.

no doubt guys like cloke and dawes were over 100kg each last year.

Releasing accurate heights and weights to the public would definitely not be a focus for clubs.

Call it a 'hunch'.

Our forward line is going to function a little differently this year as a result of:

- Rule changes
- Needing to change up the game plan
- Players being brought through the side/return from injury

Dawes and Cloke will be playing as more traditional 'old school' full forward and centre half forwards this year.

I'm not saying they won't run up the ground at all. But they'll be anchored inside 50 a lot more this year.

Watch.

All players go into the season a little heavier. They spend all pre-season trying to bulk up and do stacks of gym etc.

Then once the season starts, they lose weight. The intensity of playing competitively makes players lose a few kilos in just 1 game.

Plus, I doubt players can continue the same level of gym work as you can't go into games with your muscles all torn and tired.

All players look huge at the beginning of the year, then by the end they have toned down a bit.

I think that they may be putting on muscle at the start of the year so that they are still big at the end. The year's football has to take a lot out of the guys so having more muscle can reduce injury but also enable you to train a little lighter and conserve energy.

Being 108kg at the start of the year and hitting 100kg at the end is better than being 100kg and hitting 93kg at the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heavier in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back