Other Help Me Pick an NFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Australians following America's Game

Yet another Adelaide NFL fan. Awesome.

Heh yeah, seems like there's quite a few of us around these parts. :thumbsu:

weagles_fan said:
I started playing Madden 06 I think and once I started to become decent at it and know how the rules worked I started watching on TV more games as well.

I think Madden really helped me get up to speed with the rules, and the way the game actually functions.
After a little while of following the NFL, I picked up Madden 10 for $60 from a closing-down sale at my local game store, and the real NFL started to make a lot more sense.

To the new guys posting in this thread, feel free to check this thread out, which is similar to this thread, that has a little survey in it.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294960

Just go to the last page where you can copy+paste the most recent questions.

You'll find a lot of the main and useful threads of this board by looking inside the Thread Directory thread stickied at the top of the board.

How did you become interested in the NFL?
And how did you pick a team, what was it caught your attention?
I was brought into the game by Ben Graham

I had heard about him becoming a captain of the Jets and I thought it was a big achievment (it isn't)

2006 - Jumped on the Jets because of Graham
2007 - Jumped on the Patriots because I foresore a 18-1 season (had to give them a loss in the reg season to the Colts)
2008 - Jumped on the Eagles because of Rocca

But about mid year feeling bad because it looked like I was following in STO's footsteps and I wasn't really a true fan of the Eagles, I decided to pick a team.

Cut it down to two in the end. Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons.

Went with Atlanta because, well "pre-emptive bandwagon" (Hey, at least I'm here during loss weeks unlike some other people here)

I thought the Cards would be good last year when I was picking and possibly good this year, but post-Warner, I see a huge drop off and I didn't want to go with a team as a newbie in a down period.

:thumbsu:

1-Up to the Vikings!

I started following in 1999, but fortunately after that missed Gary Anderson Field Goal :mad:

Me and a group of mates were big into fantasy sports through High School so we clicked Yahoo! Fantasy NFL and picked sides, then tried to learn positions and rules, poorly at first, until the mighty Madden franchise came along and showed us the way. I still remember 14-18 hour days huddled in my mates room playing franchises...those were the days! I forgot was sunlight was!!

Anyway, jumped on the Vikings, probably because they were going alright, and I suppose at the time they were very attractive to watch. George throwing to Moss and Carter, and Robert Smith carrying like a genius until premature retirement. It also helped that they were pretty much on Fox every other week

Have been sorta hooked ever since, depending on whether Ive had Pay-TV or Internet connections :)

I only started watching this year. Started with the college football and due to the amount of games the Longhorns had broadcast, decided to follow them. Don't have a NFL team yet though enjoy watching Dallas and Arizona.

i kind got hooked when my parent bought me the Madden game in the mid 90's , didnt quite understand it at the time but grew to learn it as i got older , i knew of Darren Bennett at the chargers and i had a slight pull towards them , but when he eventually moved to the vikings , which i liked the name of but never really though anything of it , i just got hooked , it was an omen , they had to be my team MV = Melbourne Victoria & Minnesota Vikings (Now Melbourne Victory) , and it was the players that where on the team at the time ,Kevin williams, Randy Moss , Daunte Culpepper , Michael Bennett , Ej Henderson and my fave at the time cos of his name Kenechi Udeze.

i just got drawn into this team , now i play in 4 different fantasy leagues , have made quite a bit off backing the vikes this year and wake up/record where ever possible when a game is on the Box , i even watched the dallas/Phillie game to just make sure that we would make it , i hate both but dallas a bit more but was happy that dallas did u a solid.

i have 3 vikings jerseys , a couple of caps and quite the angry family that it isnt bad enough i talk Shit during AFL season , they have to put up with it the Months in between that i talk NFL. i even go as far as to watch The BCS on ESPN , just to scope who i want coming to the vikes for that upcoming draft.

I was sick at home about 10 years ago and flicked on SBS at 2pm. It was highlights of some random game in October between the Vikings and another team (don't recall who). The Vikings were losing, so I started barracking for them. They ended up scoring two touchdowns in the last two minutes to win it. They were my team!

I followed it on and off since then, up until this season when I invested in a digital box and have been getting games on One. I'm hooked again.

I became seriously interested in NFL in the early 90s after visiting the US. My uncle is a huge NFL fan and taught me quite a bit about American Football while I was there.

Before that though, I picked the 49ers from watching a taped game in 1987, but wasn't serious until after the US trip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Help me pick a team!

If you choose Arizona as the team to go for, would you be known as a bandwagoner?

Depends.. if they win. Why wait until now to choose a team? you can just enjoy the play-offs (like I did as a passive nfl fan for a few seasons) and pass comment without claiming anything / losing face on a team you barely know much about. So next season, (September), you can have another look of what other options you have. Easy. Nobody gets hurt. :p

If you choose Arizona as the team to go for, would you be known as a bandwagoner?
Yes but does it matter? I started following the Roos when they were in a final series.

Recently I hitched on teh Raiderwagon. I also realize i need a fair bit of patience.

Rooraiderwagon. Raideroowagon. Its all good :thumbsu:

Just saying you won't have much chance to watch them after tomorrow!;)
Haha I see your very confident. But then again you have every reason to be after what the cardinals dished up last week.

Depends.. if they win. Why wait until now to choose a team? you can just enjoy the play-offs (like I did as a passive nfl fan for a few seasons) and pass comment without claiming anything / losing face on a team you barely know much about. So next season, (September), you can have another look of what other options you have. Easy. Nobody gets hurt. :p

At the moment I am just enjoying the playoffs, while I look for a team to follow. I find it hard to support a team when you can't watch them week in week out.

At the moment I am just enjoying the playoffs, while I look for a team to follow. I find it hard to support a team when you can't watch them week in week out.

Well Im guessing your team is the Dallas Cowgirls (I mean Cowboys) than. Or you can come join the Big Blue in New York.

These two are easily the most televised teams on tv.

Haha I see your very confident. But then again you have every reason to be after what the cardinals dished up last week.

No, not really. Last week meant nothing in the context, and as much as I'd like to blow out the Cards, it ain't gonna happen. Still...

GO PACK GO!!!

Thanks for the input guys!

My initial lean was probably towards the New York Jets. They have a young and upcoming roster, they play in a division with some fantastic rivalry matches and move into a new stadium this year (will look sick on Madden!) Pity Aussie Ben is no longer there or it would almost be a no brainer!

I have selected the New York Jets :D

Thank you all!

You have failed at life.

Just like the Patriots failed this morning? :D

What a suprise, a new NYJ fan comes to bag the Pats.
I'm disappointed you didn't pick the Lions.
I mean they have Stafford and Megatron, come on

I'm forever amused that only 3 short weeks ago, these 'new team' selection decisions can't be made. :p I agree, heaps of upside for the Lions and at least (they- newbies) don't look like 'shameless' bandwagon jumpers. Detroit Lions is a great team long term project. I'm sure they'll be embraced when they get their roster worked out and winning becomes a common occurance.

I'm forever amused that only 3 short weeks ago, these 'new team' selection decisions can't be made. :p I agree, heaps of upside for the Lions and at least (they- newbies) don't look like 'shameless' bandwagon jumpers. Detroit Lions is a great team long term project. I'm sure they'll be embraced when they get their roster worked out and winning becomes a common occurance.

As much as i love those two, will that ever happen?
this is the team that managed to be terrible with Barry Sanders and spent high pick after high pick after high pick on WR, only one of who has really worked (two if you count the picks back from Roy)

Its natural for people to jump on a winner Woodson.

The flipside-

Just like the patriots fans today leaving their team with an empty stadium halfway thru the last quarter :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Help Me Pick an NFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back