Other Help Me Pick an NFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Help me pick a team!

Every week so far he was supposed to be challenged. Hes made some great throws. Theres no denying we're winning games on the back of our defense. Yet, Texans, Pats, Titans were all supposed to be good enough to beat us. They've come up short.

I think we lose this one 24-13, but that line is wearing thin. This week, this week. So far no ones done it. This is a much bigger test for the D than it is for Sanchez. This kid will win us a SB within the next 7 years. :D
I think Houston/Pats were meant to be good enough to come over your D. Ten was the only one that was meant to challenge your offense.

Again, you're pulling all these arguments stemmed from Sanchez' ability, which isn't really helping your point from my standpoint.

Just on the rushing Zarko, it hasn't been good at all. Most of the runs in the Houston game came in junk time in the 4th quarter, Sanchez was the one that kept the chains moving all game then. He's definitely been challenged, don't act like he hasn't. Most tipped us to be 0-3 at this point, so to say he hasn't been challenged yet is a bit rich.

He's made all the throws and plays that we've needed him to, he's been exceptionally good on third down and he's a rookie so of course it's going to be hyped up even more.
Dude, he is averaging 27 pass attempts per game, good for equal 29th in the league. Stop pretending he has even come close to being asked to carry the team, or has ever been in the position where he has really been under the gun. That has been my point, yet people seem to be ignoring it. You lot were tipping your lot to be 0-3, but thats hardly been the case, especially with the Ryan upgrades on D. Does your opinion of what your team would be instantly mean Sanchez would definitely be challenged? Sanchez didn't have to play in your view of what would come at the start of the year.

As I said, Houston is near dead last in defense this year.

Equal 12th in 1st down % on 3rd downs @ 42% FWIW. (Just thought some might be interested)

I'm a Cards fan, though I'm a newcomer too (at the beginning of last year). Arizona sports have a nice history of heartbreaking losses, so I'm glad you're ready to deal with that. Even Arizona State has a great last quarter last minute TD to lose the college football championship...

97 Rose Bowl? That sounds brutal from what I have just read about it.

You're right. Winning those three games is evidence that you should never be doubted again.

I for one welcome our new Jet overlords. :thumbsu:

I always knew it...:p

STKO = phyiggles / closet jets fan ooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

its hideous!

Too easy.

Jets.

Why? Here's a list:

- You won't be a bandwagoner. We haven't won anything since 1968.

- Zero chance of relocation

- Team in the 2nd biggest market in the States, although...

- Get pretty poor national coverage that you can only attribute to having a losing culture for such a long time

- Overshadowed by the Giants in New York and countrywide

- Great loyal fan base. Not as big as Giants, but in such a large market you're bound to have a fair few fans.

- Mark Sanchez. Its been so long since so much excitement surrounded Gang Green. Get in there before this guy becomes the next Brady, although better.

- Rex Ryan. See above.

- Fairly young, but veteran-filled team with a lot of potential.

- Great owners.

- New stadium coming.

- You'll be frustrated a lot (although yet to be this season), but we have the potential to win Superbowls, and I can't imagine we'll be back in the slums anytime soon. We're not always outstanding, but we don't suck either.

- Good rivalries as well, especially with Pats, and Miami.

Many more reasons, but I'll leave it at that.

Q- 2nd largest market in US? WHen did that happen? Which is #1?

Q- 2nd largest market in US? WHen did that happen? Which is #1?

Jacksonville or Buffalo.

In all seriousness, the bandwagoner market. Pats/Boys etc.

Zarko, I never said Sanchez was playing like Manning. I said he's exceeding expectations for a rookie and that he HAS been challenged. If you've watched the games, you would know this. Sanchez started making rookie mistakes last week that greatly reduced his numbers, but was still able to come up with the game winning drives when it mattered.

Man Utd mayyyy have gone a little overboard with the Sanchez love, but who really cares?

Seems like you're right about the TV market. Could have sworn LA was a bigger TV market. Well, they still need a team.

And wce_all_the_way...I don't think my love is over the top at all. You would have to be a real pessimist in general, or Pats fan, to suggest that he will fade.

And wce_all_the_way...I don't think my love is over the top at all. You would have to be a real pessimist in general, or Pats fan, to suggest that he will fade.

like Brady but better
............hmmm...
well im glad all the jets fans haven't lost their s*** :D

If only I had some connection to anywhere :). For me it is a choice to team quality with or without geography. I used to go for any team in the New England area. After choosing the Giants as my NFL team, I figured I'd go with a New York Div I team, but most are way upstate or in New Jersey. There is always Rutgers (which would be nice). Not that interested in the Columbia Lions.

Actually, the fact that Army is at West Point appeals. I don't know if Army will ever win anything, but huge tradition and I like the Armed Forces. Go Army, beat Navy!

Seriously though, I'll have to see what teams I can watch this season and see if any grab me.

I'm stoked. Tomorrow on ESPN is Rutgers playing Army at West Point. Based on my previous post, there couldn't be a better matchup for me.

Though Rutgers will probably destroy Army, I'll be rooting for Army.

Seems like you're right about the TV market. Could have sworn LA was a bigger TV market. Well, they still need a team.

If you are going to go for the Jests get ready for years of disappointment.

The-Dirty-Sanchez-Jets-Jersey-Maneuver.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guys played 3 games. Texans, Pats, Titans (how much harder can a rookie have it?). Hes 22. Made huge plays already. Moves better than Brady. Throws accurately on the move. Gives receivers better opportunity to catch it the way he swings it. Great technique.

Not a fan cos hes a Jet? I like Eli, but I think Sanchez has more raw potential.
Because I despise Tom Brady and everything the Pats stand for. Everything always comes back to Brady for me, its an inferiority complex I'm sure.

Don't be fooled by those rushing stats. We've got problems rushing. Thomas Jones is a cancer on this team so far. I keep expecting him to explode, but Leon is the only thing we've got going there. Yes Cotchery, Stuckey, Keller all impressive. Nonetheless, no standouts that other QBs can throw at.

Heres the difference. If we still had Chad, we don't win one or more of those games. I'm sure of it. I'm in love either way. And did I mention hes a rookie that will only get better as the weeks and years go by?
Good thread, would read again :p

Once the current crop of ageing :p quarterbacks are gone, there is going to be one who will carry his team to a dynasty!!! My boy Stafford and the Detroit Lions.
After visiting the states this year i had to pick a team, i saw one of their 2 wins and that was enough to convince me, sweet colours and logo... you would think they can only improve!!

Australians Following America's Game

Firstly, I apologise if this thread has been done to death already (I did search).

How did you become interested in the NFL?
And how did you pick a team, what was it caught your attention?

Until this season I had no interest in the NFL, from my limited experience with it, I thought the game was too slow and too boring. The players wore girly body armour and were all full of themselves. :eek:

It wasn't until I sat down with lunch one day at turned on the TV and there was a game starting between the Green Bay Packers (an American friend of mine who I haven't talked to in years followed them) and the Minnesota Vikings.
Because I recognised the name "Green Bay Packers", I decided to keep watching for a while.

Little did I know at the time, but this was the first Favre vs Packers match, in Minnesota.
After what can only be described as 3 hours of enlightenment, I was hooked - and it was the Vikings who hooked me.
Adrian Peterson, Jarred Allen (4.5 sacks that game), Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin and of course Brett Favre (I was wondering why the commentators were calling him "Farve") were the names that stuck with me.
For the next week I couldn't stop thinking about how much I enjoyed watching the game.

Since then I've soaked up all the knowledge I could about the NFL and the Vikings. The rules, the history. I've watched every game I could, whether it be the Vikes luckily live on One or through other means...
I recently got up at 4am to see if the Vikes would clinch the 2nd seed, when 6 months ago, I couldn't have cared less.

So I've fallen in love with this game. The way every player on the field has to work together on every single play for it to work. The big plays and the big personalities. And its the perfect cure for the Crow-less summers. :D
Skol Vikings! Lets get the play-offs started, I can't wait.

How did you find this game?

Re: Australians following America's Game

Yet another Adelaide NFL fan. Awesome.

Anyways I'd always had a peripheral knowledge of the game, like mid 90s I could have told you who Troy Aikman was and that the Cowboys were awesome. From other boards I was also highly aware of the Manning/Brady debate...for some reason I can't define I picked Manning and now am rather rabidly anti-Patriots :p . The first game I can remember watching in totality was the 06 AFC Championship epic with the comeback from Peyton in the 2nd half. Watched the following Superbowl with the opening runback by Hester and then I was hooked.

Took me a while to pick a team, eventually after a trip to Arizona to visit friends last year and a game at their stadium I picked the Cards (also because of Warner, I loved his story). Will always have a soft spot for the Colts though.

People have been saying that about the Lions for 50 years. :p

I admire your commitment though...I'll probably be joining you in sad-sack land in a couple of years when Warner retires...

Many years ago I used to play an online roleplaying game (shut up :p) on a forum dominated by Americans. In fact, there would have been about ten non-Americans (so that includes Canada and the UK). So off topic forums were full of American stuff and that inevitably headed to the NFL. I got a bit interested but without being able to see games regularly - Foxtel only one TV then - I could never sustain interest. I'd watch the Super Bowl, but that was about it.

Then in November 2008, I got Foxtel in my bedroom, so I could see games all the time, even if I wasn't home. I got into it big way and was watching as much as I could. I didn't settle on a team but I did want Baltimore to go to the Super Bowl instead of Pittsburgh, as I have a close friend in the States who is a huge Pittsburgh fan. I don't wanna see him happy. :p Didn't want to make a full commitment to a team, so asked around here first, but eventually settled on the Baltmore Ravens anyway. So here I am. :)

It was 94 or 95 and a good mate of mine at school was getting into it.

So the first time I ever watched it was on the late great Don Lane's show.

It was that long ago I can't really remember exactly why I chose the Bears, possibly because my VCR was shit and watching it on tape the next day they may have looked red and black :rolleyes:

Maybe also coz I like teams with a strong tradition and in a big rivalry (the Packers, who dominated us for so long) I may have went with the underdog.

I started playing Madden 06 I think and once I started to become decent at it and know how the rules worked I started watching on TV more games as well. Support Philly only because they are the Eagles :p

I started following in 1990 when i was 13 and introduced to the game by an older cousin at a family BBQ! It was right at the time Barry Sanders entered the game and i was hooked instantly. Began watching the Don Lane highlight show that was on late every Tuesday night on ABC and i fell in love with the Cowboys who use to get a heap of air play then and the Uniform really grabbed my attention. I loved the Cowboy stars of the 90's and i wont name them because everyone knows who they are and the lesser lights from that era were also awesome. Charles Haley was a massive personal favourite for me with Jay Novaceck and Darryl ( Moose ) Johnston and Nate Newton. The rest is history and i have been following it ever since. :thumbsu:

I loved the stars from those years and there were so many! Randall Cunningham was a gun Warren Moon , Thurman Thomas , Jim Kelly , Barry Sanders , Marino , Sterling Sharpe , Junior Seau , Barry Foster and the list goes on. Great times watching those stars.

Well as it happens it was 1988 or 1989 & by this time the ABC had started a weekly highlights show hosted if IRRC at first by Don Lane. Having only ever seen glimses of NFL coverage maybe once a year & being in general a sport nut I tuned in.

One of the 1st games they featured showed off the talents of this lanky black fella named Cunningham wearing green & black who if IRRC ran for as many yards than he passed & I was hooked & an Eagles tragic ever since.

Dont post here much but for most of the last 20 years have kept as close an eye as possible on the NFL & whilst it aint aussie rules, it can be pretty god damn good.

I watched it when I lived over the States but didn't understand it because I was young. Now that I watch AFL, cricket and even league, I have picked up a lot of the techinical aspects and strategy to those sports so now I have a better understanding of the game. The fact I can watch games on OneHD now makes a huge difference to the interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Help Me Pick an NFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back