Other Help Me Pick an NFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Help me pick a team!

After going to the New York - Tennessee match last weekend I would recommend anyone going for the Jets. Great city, good team, awesome supporters. I am Bengals through and through but I now have a very soft spot for the Jets.

After going to the New York - Tennessee match last weekend I would recommend anyone going for the Jets. Great city, good team, awesome supporters. I am Bengals through and through but I now have a very soft spot for the Jets.

After seeing them beat the Pats the week before, I agree. Good fans, good history (if not the most successful), fun times.

Likewise, I have a soft spot for them too. If people ask me here if I am green or blue, I now say I'm green while in NY, but my blood runs black and gold.

Hi all. Like many I have only ever watched the Superbowl before the beautiful thing that is channel one. And after some research, I have jumped on a team... the Arizona Cardinals. Why? Because they are the oldest franchise and haven't been successful for ages, like Melbourne. I was a bit concerned that they went alright last year, and didn't want to be a bandwagoner, but watching them against the Colts eased any concerns in that regard as they were absolutely dreadful.

Add to that the Phoenix Suns who have had no success, the Phoenix Coyotes who have filed for bankruptcy, and the Arizona Diamondbacks who came last in their Division this season and I am going to move to Arizona ASAP!

I see that Wizard is a Cardinals fan. Are there any others? Do you have any advice for me Wizard?
I'm a Cards fan, though I'm a newcomer too (at the beginning of last year). Arizona sports have a nice history of heartbreaking losses, so I'm glad you're ready to deal with that. Even Arizona State has a great last quarter last minute TD to lose the college football championship...

Too easy.

Jets.

Why? Here's a list:

- You won't be a bandwagoner. We haven't won anything since 1968.

- Zero chance of relocation

- Team in the 2nd biggest market in the States, although...

- Get pretty poor national coverage that you can only attribute to having a losing culture for such a long time

- Overshadowed by the Giants in New York and countrywide

- Great loyal fan base. Not as big as Giants, but in such a large market you're bound to have a fair few fans.

- Mark Sanchez. Its been so long since so much excitement surrounded Gang Green. Get in there before this guy becomes the next Brady, although better.

- Rex Ryan. See above.

- Fairly young, but veteran-filled team with a lot of potential.

- Great owners.

- New stadium coming.

- You'll be frustrated a lot (although yet to be this season), but we have the potential to win Superbowls, and I can't imagine we'll be back in the slums anytime soon. We're not always outstanding, but we don't suck either.

- Good rivalries as well, especially with Pats, and Miami.

Many more reasons, but I'll leave it at that.

Too easy.

Jets.

Why? Here's a list:

- You won't be a bandwagoner. We haven't won anything since 1968.

- Zero chance of relocation

- Team in the 2nd biggest market in the States, although...

- Get pretty poor national coverage that you can only attribute to having a losing culture for such a long time

- Overshadowed by the Giants in New York and countrywide

- Great loyal fan base. Not as big as Giants, but in such a large market you're bound to have a fair few fans.

- Mark Sanchez. Its been so long since so much excitement surrounded Gang Green

- Rex Ryan. See above.

- Fairly young, but veteran-filled team with a lot of potential.

- Great owners.

- New stadium coming.

- You'll be frustrated a lot (although yet to be this season), but we have the potential to win Superbowls, and I can't imagine we'll be back in the slums anytime soon. We're not always outstanding, but we don't suck either.

- Good rivalries as well, especially with Pats, and Miami.

- You get to hang on the coat tails of one of the better teams in the league

- You will never ever have your own stadium, you should accordingly praise the Giants for allowing the Jets into their deals

Many more reasons, but I'll leave it at that.

Edited for accuracy :) :p

Hahah. But the stadium will light up green!! Yeah well, we'll take it. Its looking like a mammoth. Also, Sanchez will have a better career than Eli, although I have no wish to start an argument :)

Hahah. But the stadium will light up green!! Yeah well, we'll take it. Its looking like a mammoth. Also, Sanchez will have a better career than Eli, although I have no wish to start an argument :)
Depends how you rate careers I guess.

Not a fan of Sanchez, but hes doing okay ;)

Depends how you rate careers I guess.

Not a fan of Sanchez, but hes doing okay ;)

The guys played 3 games. Texans, Pats, Titans (how much harder can a rookie have it?). Hes 22. Made huge plays already. Moves better than Brady. Throws accurately on the move. Gives receivers better opportunity to catch it the way he swings it. Great technique.

Not a fan cos hes a Jet? I like Eli, but I think Sanchez has more raw potential.

The guys played 3 games. Texans, Pats, Titans (how much harder can a rookie have it?). Hes 22. Made huge plays already. Moves better than Brady. Throws accurately on the move. Gives receivers better opportunity to catch it the way he swings it. Great technique.

Not a fan cos hes a Jet? I like Eli, but I think Sanchez has more raw potential.
No, I never liked Sanchez pre-draft. Houston aren't exactly a tough D (32nd overall in yards allowed-28th in points allowed), Pats D I don't rate as a great D, and Tennessee have been extremely average after losing Haynesworth (29th in passing yards allowed, 23rd in points allowed).

Yes he is 22, yet you are making these claims as if he has been studly. You are willing to say 'Moves better than Brady (not that he was ever a mover, dunno why you would compare them tbh). Throws accurately on the move. Gives receivers better opportunity to catch it the way he swings it. Great technique.' after 3 games starting. Add in the fact that the D has made Sanchez' start to the year pretty easy in regards to what he HAS to do... (And sacked only 5 times)

Manning similarly has looked studly in Septembers. Who's to say Sanchez isn't exactly the same in the Meadowlands?
Not to mention Eli is pure clutch :cool:

No, I never liked Sanchez pre-draft. Houston aren't exactly a tough D (32nd overall in yards allowed-28th in points allowed), Pats D I don't rate as a great D, and Tennessee have been extremely average after losing Haynesworth (29th in passing yards allowed, 23rd in points allowed).

Yes he is 22, yet you are making these claims as if he has been studly. You are willing to say 'Moves better than Brady (not that he was ever a mover, dunno why you would compare them tbh). Throws accurately on the move. Gives receivers better opportunity to catch it the way he swings it. Great technique.' after 3 games starting. Add in the fact that the D has made Sanchez' start to the year pretty easy in regards to what he HAS to do... (And sacked only 5 times)

Manning similarly has looked studly in Septembers. Who's to say Sanchez isn't exactly the same in the Meadowlands?

Yeah, who is to say? You say you never liked Sanchez pre-draft, yet hes made no real mistakes (a few against the Titans but it was wet) and lead the team to victories against 3 teams which could have been expected to beat us.

The D has made a great start yes. But our running game hasn't been overly impressive. Hes certainly not the getting the help there that should be expected. Especially from one T.J. Also, where are the receivers other QBs can point to? Experts and people who are still "unconvinced" that he just be the real deal just haven't seen him play clearly.

Hooray, compare the movement of a player recovering from injury with a perfectly healthy QB

As Zarko said, Brady was never outstanding once you get him out of the pocket. Brady doesn't do run. Sanchez does - and he has some accuracy to go with. Nothing to do with injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Zarko said, Brady was never outstanding once you get him out of the pocket. Brady doesn't do run. Sanchez does - and he has some accuracy to go with. Nothing to do with injury.

We're comparing Sanchez with Brady now are we :confused:

Yeah, who is to say? You say you never liked Sanchez pre-draft, yet hes made no real mistakes (a few against the Titans but it was wet) and lead the team to victories against 3 teams which could have been expected to beat us.

The D has made a great start yes. But our running game hasn't been overly impressive. Hes certainly not the getting the help there that should be expected. Especially from one T.J. Also, where are the receivers other QBs can point to? Experts and people who are still "unconvinced" that he just be the real deal just haven't seen him play clearly.

I said I was never a fan of Sanchez, then said he's doing okay... Not great, not bad, but hasn't lost games (which would be virtually impossible) but he hasn't exactly won any. Week one Houston scored a grand total of 7 points, which came in the 4th quarter, and that wasn't even by the offense. In the week the Jets had ~180 yards rushing
In week 2 he had to overcome a grand total of 9 points but only threw for 160 yards. The team as a whole only rushed for ~110 yards, but they had a solid 4 ypc. The defense pretty obviously won this game IMO.
Week 3, he started off nicely, then started making a few mistakes. The D similarly wobbled yet held strong in the end (Sanchez again only threw for 170 yards). Both TDs came on drives where he only needed to gain 20 yards after a muffed punt, and and a fumbled punt return.

As I said, I am liking the way he has been playing, but its not like he has done anything special. His best was the first TD drive vs Ten (Going down the length of the field). So its unfair to suggest he has proven himself.

You are 11th in rushing yards per game, 2nd in attempted rushes, in comparison to you being 29th in passing attempts.

Sanchez hasn't had to do anything.

BTW, Re; receivers, Keller is a stud for a young QB, I was spruiking Cotchery preseason to step up as a WR 1. Imagine that :p

But again, why would you compare him to Brady if you were trying to suggest he was impressive in that regard?

We're comparing Sanchez with Brady now are we :confused:

Brady's a pocket player. Sanchez is more versatile. Brady ain't bad though;) However, we've unearthed something here that will threaten NE's stranglehold on the division for the next 10 years +. Its a good time to be a Jets fan.

Brady's a pocket player. Sanchez is more versatile. Brady ain't bad though;) However, we've unearthed something here that will threaten NE's stranglehold on the division for the next 10 years +. Its a good time to be a Jets fan.
lol see this is what I mean. Sanchez hasn't had to prove himself one iota in pressure time. I know your comment was partially tongue in cheek, but by your previous posts it seems you are overly smitten with Sanchez atm. :p

Good on the team for not putting that much pressure on him though.

I'm sure the Raiders number 1 pick in the 2011 draft will go towards drafting a more than capable replacement ;)

I said I was never a fan of Sanchez, then said he's doing okay... Not great, not bad, but hasn't lost games (which would be virtually impossible) but he hasn't exactly won any. Week one Houston scored a grand total of 7 points, which came in the 4th quarter, and that wasn't even by the offense. In the week the Jets had ~180 yards rushing
In week 2 he had to overcome a grand total of 9 points but only threw for 160 yards. The team as a whole only rushed for ~110 yards, but they had a solid 4 ypc. The defense pretty obviously won this game IMO.
Week 3, he started off nicely, then started making a few mistakes. The D similarly wobbled yet held strong in the end (Sanchez again only threw for 170 yards). Both TDs came on drives where he only needed to gain 20 yards after a muffed punt, and and a fumbled punt return.

As I said, I am liking the way he has been playing, but its not like he has done anything special. His best was the first TD drive vs Ten (Going down the length of the field). So its unfair to suggest he has proven himself.

You are 11th in rushing yards per game, 2nd in attempted rushes, in comparison to you being 29th in passing attempts.

Sanchez hasn't had to do anything.

BTW, Re; receivers, Keller is a stud for a young QB, I was spruiking Cotchery preseason to step up as a WR 1. Imagine that :p

But again, why would you compare him to Brady if you were trying to suggest he was impressive in that regard?

Because I despise Tom Brady and everything the Pats stand for. Everything always comes back to Brady for me, its an inferiority complex I'm sure.

Don't be fooled by those rushing stats. We've got problems rushing. Thomas Jones is a cancer on this team so far. I keep expecting him to explode, but Leon is the only thing we've got going there. Yes Cotchery, Stuckey, Keller all impressive. Nonetheless, no standouts that other QBs can throw at.

I agree with you in the about 2nd week assessment. Agree somewhat 3rd week, but you have to remember it was wet. 1st week though no way...Sanchez had a stellar opening game. He made some stunning 3rd down conversions.

Heres the difference. If we still had Chad, we don't win one or more of those games. I'm sure of it. I'm in love either way. And did I mention hes a rookie that will only get better as the weeks and years go by?

Im not deceived into thinking the rushing has been good, its just obvious that they haven't actually bothered trying to let the QB play win the game. Lucky for Sanchez he hasn't had to yet (Purely because its much better to get gneeral experience before being asked to win games).

My point was simply that the current trend is hardly the definite one, and that his improvement isn't a definite either.
EDIT - This'll be the first week he may be challenged though.

Time to start counting all the quarterbacks that have had a good game or a good season and ended up being horrible.

Fair enough, but this guys got something. I could be totally blinded and smitten as Zarko suggested, but so much potential for a player that was supposedly not good enough to start in the NFL. Best thing Mangina ever did for us

Just on the rushing Zarko, it hasn't been good at all. Most of the runs in the Houston game came in junk time in the 4th quarter, Sanchez was the one that kept the chains moving all game then. He's definitely been challenged, don't act like he hasn't. Most tipped us to be 0-3 at this point, so to say he hasn't been challenged yet is a bit rich.

He's made all the throws and plays that we've needed him to, he's been exceptionally good on third down and he's a rookie so of course it's going to be hyped up even more.

Im not deceived into thinking the rushing has been good, its just obvious that they haven't actually bothered trying to let the QB play win the game. Lucky for Sanchez he hasn't had to yet (Purely because its much better to get gneeral experience before being asked to win games).

My point was simply that the current trend is hardly the definite one, and that his improvement isn't a definite either.
EDIT - This'll be the first week he may be challenged though.

Every week so far he was supposed to be challenged. Hes made some great throws. Theres no denying we're winning games on the back of our defense. Yet, Texans, Pats, Titans were all supposed to be good enough to beat us. They've come up short.

I think we lose this one 24-13, but that line is wearing thin. This week, this week. So far no ones done it. This is a much bigger test for the D than it is for Sanchez. This kid will win us a SB within the next 7 years. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Help Me Pick an NFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back