Help me with my top 20 Players of All time list

Remove this Banner Ad

A few guys that should be in contention. Geoff Southby and Glen Jakovic as defenders. Cox in ruck group, perhaps replacing Nichols. Not sure I’d have Keith Greig or Nathan Buckley in the squad, as good as they were. Otherwise, good work OP

Some legitimate small forwards would be handy (not counting Matthews). Could put in KB on the forward line to keep the Richmond horde happy

David Dench at full back. Glen Javokich and Peter Knights at CHB have to at least come into the conversation. Personally I reckon Chris Mew was nearly impassable at CHB - folklore has it that he was the first named every week in Hawthorn's team of the 80s/early 90s.

Keith Greig for a pure winger.

For rucks, Dean Cox is the best I've seen after Simon Madden (who just shaded him).

Only 10 of those listed played AFL

Whitten, Doull, Regan, Coventry x2, Matthews, Bunton, Reynolds, Stewart, Skilton, Rose, Greig, Murray, Coleman, Hart, Jesaulenko, Wade, Dyer, Farmer & Nicholls only played State League suburban football

Only 10 of those listed played AFL

Whitten, Doull, Regan, Coventry x2, Matthews, Bunton, Reynolds, Stewart, Skilton, Rose, Greig, Murray, Coleman, Hart, Jesaulenko, Wade, Dyer, Farmer & Nicholls only played State League suburban football
oh youre one of those non-vic fans claiming that any player before 1990 wasnt good because they played in a worse era?
i assume youre someone who complains about vic bias
similar to lebron fans who claim jordan isnt the goat beacuse he played in a league of 'plumbers' absolute rubbish
unless im reading your comment wrong.
ricciuto and mcleod the only crows players who come close to the list you mentioned.
im clearly talking about all time V/AFL

If we’re looking at VFL/AFL: Carey Ablett Sr Lockett Whitten Coleman Matthews Judd Dunstall Hudson Reynolds Coventry Bunton Skilton Hird Hutchison Williams Bartlett Murray Farmer Kernahan

If we’re looking at AFL only: Carey Ablett Sr Lockett Judd Dunstall Hird Williams Kernahan Riewoldt Ablett Jr Cousins Lloyd Silvagni Pavlich Franklin Black Harvey Cox Voss McLeod

Albert Collier must be there

Walter “Dick” Lee won the league goal kicking award 7 times

Jack Dyer was considered the greatest player of all time by the time retired

Charles Brownlow was champion players who continually won the best player of the colony on multiple occasions.

Albert Thurgood, was considered the best player of the early 20th century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheahan published a fairly solid list in the 150th anniversary book in 2008. I'd use that as a guide, and your squad for top 20 all-time already seems to have almost all those highly listed contenders circa end 2007 (save Bill Hutchison, Greg Williams and Kevin Bartlett) plus a few more worthy candidates since.

See Sheahan's list here for reference if you haven't already: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2008-03-06/mike-sheahans-top-50-players

Walter “Dick” Lee won the league goal kicking award 7 times

Jack Dyer was considered the greatest player of all time by the time retired

Charles Brownlow was champion players who continually won the best player of the colony on multiple occasions.

Albert Thurgood, was considered the best player of the early 20th century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent.

I'll add -

Ivor Warne-Smith - didn't start playing in Melbourne until 1925 (because he fought in WW1 and then captain-coached in Tassie). Won 2 Brownlows (26 & 28). Absolute Legend. Played CHF.

Bill Hutchison - Essendon 1950s - 2 Brownlows, 7 Top-10s.

Vic Thorp - In the argument for the Greatest Full-Back All Time. But he played in the 1920s.

Personal Opinion - I think Gary Dempsey was the best Ruck I ever say (and I saw Nicholls, Cox, Moss ands Madden). But Roy Wright is the only Ruckman to win 2 Brownlows (Peter Moore was a Forward/Ruck).

I love the History of any sport. (I don't know enough history of SA, WA or Tassie football - wish I did.).

Not sure why these attempts are so popular. Not even sure what it means- how could you ever know how GAJ would go in 1930s (with 1930s playing style, fitness, training etc) or how Jack Dyer would go now. A 6’2” Polly Farmer would not cut it as a ruckman or even key position player today, but that doesn’t change the fact that he was a game changer in his era. All you can really do is pick players era by era. For me it would be very early years up to WWII, post war to 1970, 1970s to early 90s and then mid 90s to now. Each of these eras differ in terms of how the game was played.

Not sure why these attempts are so popular. Not even sure what it means- how could you ever know how GAJ would go in 1930s (with 1930s playing style, fitness, training etc) or how Jack Dyer would go now. A 6’2” Polly Farmer would not cut it as a ruckman or even key position player today, but that doesn’t change the fact that he was a game changer in his era. All you can really do is pick players era by era. For me it would be very early years up to WWII, post war to 1970, 1970s to early 90s and then mid 90s to now. Each of these eras differ in terms of how the game was played.

Agree 100% - but that's logical and no fun.

I always laugh at the young kids who get involved in 'Best Ever' discussions, and refuse to consider anyone pre-1995. True - you didn't see the old guys, but you can read up about them. Would you not put Bradman in your best-ever team, because you didn't see him?

Agree 100% - but that's logical and no fun.

I always laugh at the young kids who get involved in 'Best Ever' discussions, and refuse to consider anyone pre-1995. True - you didn't see the old guys, but you can read up about them. Would you not put Bradman in your best-ever team, because you didn't see him?
Agree it’s fun. But like you I cannot believe the intensity of arguing about comparisons between players many posters have never seen play. But I suppose that’s just BF!

As a Pies fan just going to comment on the Buckley situation, doesn’t deserve to be there but if you must have a Pies mid replace him with Pendlebury, overtaken Bucks’ career in my opinion.

As a Pies fan just going to comment on the Buckley situation, doesn’t deserve to be there but if you must have a Pies mid replace him with Pendlebury, overtaken Bucks’ career in my opinion.
I am not a fan of Buckley..but Pendlebury as a footballer is no where near Buckley. Not interested in the B@F,s etc just as a pure "footballer". Pendlebury is one of Collingwoods best on a possessions basis but IMHO just a gatherer around stoppages ...he and Swan had one of the best 1 2's going around that certainly padded his stats as well as Swan. Buckley ave 18 Kicks a game..Pendlebury 13. Sure Pendlebury aves more HB but Buckleys kicks and goals are more telling.
Neither of them are Top 20 of all time.

I am not a fan of Buckley..but Pendlebury as a footballer is no where near Buckley. Not interested in the B@F,s etc just as a pure "footballer". Pendlebury is one of Collingwoods best on a possessions basis but IMHO just a gatherer around stoppages ...he and Swan had one of the best 1 2's going around that certainly padded his stats as well as Swan. Buckley ave 18 Kicks a game..Pendlebury 13. Sure Pendlebury aves more HB but Buckleys kicks and goals are more telling.
Neither of them are Top 20 of all time.
interesting to see peoples thoughts on how they would rank voss hird buckley. those three were the 3 premier mids of their decade and often are listed one after the other in these types of lists.

voss hird buckley and robert harvey how would you rank them
Id lean toward Harvey, Voss, Buckley, Hird personally

Was Hird a mid who went fwd or vice versa? I thought he was more a fwd injected into the midfield. But that is just me, Dons fans will correct me on this.

Judd has to be there.

Hard thing about this is value you give to positions on the field, or is this just the school yard wall and you pick the best 20 kids and go. If it is don't bother with Rucks or Defenders. Because between the great CHF/FF's + Mids they won't get a look in until the 30's possible 40's (imho)

If you can weight your own opinion Gary Ayres and Peter Knights would have to be have to be considered as defenders. Any of the WCE HB line circa 91-94. (and does B Houli get a look in these days? Hes pretty damn good over a long time and big games now)

And just for the convo piece if you were looking for genuine small forward who plays that position full time and is not midfield great sent to fatten up their career fwd (the old man saw Matthews play at CHF so his position belies the term small fwd and we all know KB was a rover) I cannot believe I am about to mention this but tip rat Milne has a CV explicitly geared to a small fwd and his stats suggest he is....nah cannot write but you know where its going. ASIO might be listening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Help me with my top 20 Players of All time list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back