Help us improve the navigation at AFL.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Jamie Skella

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi all,

If you could take 2-5 minutes out of your time to complete this Tree Test it would be greatly appreciated. Your input will ultimately help us discover how items at AFL.com.au should be organised for the easiest discovery.

Here’s the link you’ll need to get going: https://ha0rq703.optimalworkshop.com/treejack/afl-cdh

• Please note that items are not in order to mitigate selection bias, so read through your list of options for each question before clicking through.
  • Please choose what makes the most immediate sense to you, attempting to ignore what you might currently know about the AFL.com.au navigation.

Remember that there are no right or wrong answers, everyone will have different opinions on what makes the most sense.

Cheers!

2u90m6c.gif

Are you referring to editorial images, radiojake? Any examples you could provide would be grand - I'll be sure to raise them with the design team.

Are you referring to editorial images, radiojake? Any examples you could provide would be grand - I'll be sure to raise them with the design team.

Yeah with the 5 or so articles that cycle through with images on the main page - Sometimes it'll be a photo taken outside, thus very light, and then the supporting text underneath will be in white and you can't actually read it!

Just checked the site now and there are no current examples

Done, mate.

Done.

But tell someone to stop making errors like this:

"SMALL/MID FORWARDS (>180cm)
Jarrod Pickett (177cm, 75kg) - SOUTH FREMANTLE
Touk Miller (178cm, 82kg) - CALDER CANNONS
Jarrod Garlett (180cm, 68kg) - SOUTH FREMANTLE"
image.jpg

That survey needed a 'none of these make immediate sense to me' option (or at least a 'I'd have it under this heading, but none of those subheadings' option).

It wasn't too hard to find where you intended me to look if I clicked around enough, but that doesn't mean I found it a sensible location. It's just that the other options were even worse.

All of your clicks are recorded, Mr. Eagle, including into each heading.

As an example, if the question was about watching a replay and you went into "Video" first, but then had to jump back out and go to the "Watch Matches" heading, we now have an indication that you believe "Video" was the better place for a sub heading related to watching a replay.

When we have dozens of people running through the same test, your individual experience may in fact turn a common pattern, which is what helps us further improve the structure.

If you have any specific suggestions about the sub headings, don't hesitate to reply here with your thoughts.

If you have any specific suggestions about the sub headings, don't hesitate to reply here with your thoughts.

12 headings, sometimes with up to 9 subheadings, and then up to a further 8 sub-sub-headings is ridiculous. Needs a major simplification focused on clean navigation, maybe with some hubs for content.

And that's not to mention the T Media subheadings in a top banner that should be scrapped (but probably can't be under Telstra partnership conditions).

A decent web development team of just a few people could make the AFL website awesome.

Part of the challenge is indeed the narrowing of overall options, balancing businesses requirements and user-centred motivations along the way.

There's 12 primary nav links on the site right now and we're targeting 9 or possibly fewer with this work. Longer term, we're hoping to better organise and consolidate content to reduce the number of primary navigation options even further.

You're right in assuming that the Telstra header is a requirement of our current digital media rights deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You definitely need a "none of these" option to indicate that the navigation options given aren't good enough. Otherwise it's impossible to finish the survey.

I wouldn't use any of the headings supplied to me to find info on Adelaide Oval. That needs to be an option.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it is appreciated! The matter of stadium information is an interesting one. Some people expect to find it merely as part of the fixture detail in regards to geographical location, but the other popular model for seeking that information is rooted in wanting to understand transport, seating maps and so-on.

In regards to AFL administration items, such as policies, they're currently sitting within aflcommunityclub.com.au and/or linked to from the AFL footer. We're currently re-evaluating where that content is and how it's surfaced, as well.

As some food for thought, Cricket Australia have just recently very clearly defined two sites, one for each of those broad buckets of content. Cricket.com.au is their media and match source, while cricketaustralia.com.au houses the sporting body's administration related information.

Last edited:
I pretty much clicked just about everything before I found the iPhone app or Adelaide oval.

Few suggestions based off the survey.

• The menu is very broad and on a number of questions none of the options really stand out as to where you'd go looking. Finding stadium information under the 'Watch Matches' heading seemed a bit out of place for example. I can justify it being there but I didn't go there first to find it.
  • The 'News' section could probably house some extra sub categories such as Injuries, Features and so on.
  • Could you possibly bring membership and AFL Live under a 'Your AFL' category as opposed to a membership section. Far less specific,
  • Tipping and Fantasy shouldn't be separate subheadings, they could be grouped under one title. Could also be placed under the 'Your AFL' banner.
  • The AFL app is hidden away and none of the categories really house it. 'Your AFL' could house this.
The current AFL site isn't THAT bad, it's a little clustered but the fixture and smart replay feature being above the menu during the season makes its significantly easier to get where you want to be. Most people will go on there to find out scores during the season and that can all be made available easily. The current site has Tickets which is featuring all the venues and so on and that makes a bit more sense than being under the watch a game area for me.

All of your clicks are recorded, Mr. Eagle, including into each heading.

As an example, if the question was about watching a replay and you went into "Video" first, but then had to jump back out and go to the "Watch Matches" heading, we now have an indication that you believe "Video" was the better place for a sub heading related to watching a replay.

When we have dozens of people running through the same test, your individual experience may in fact turn a common pattern, which is what helps us further improve the structure.

That's good because I sure went around in circles looking for a spot where I'd realistically expect to find info on an iPhone app. Ended up just clicking on something random just to go to the next question.

Biggest gripe with the afl site currently is poor video quality and streaming performance, otherwise not too bad. Stadium info the strangest from the survey, didn't make sense to me where it was housed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Help us improve the navigation at AFL.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back