Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

I should say, Slattery was poor tonight, as were 95% of the team.

When Murphy, Judd & co are waltzing into the 50 with little pressure in the 2nd half, I really have no idea what Slattery was suppose to do.

Although the one where Betts danced around him made him look stupid.

In the majority of that third quarter our defence was Jake Carlisle, Myers, Slattery, Dyson, Hardingham and Heppell. That really was Bendiogo's backline all last year with the exception of Heppell.

We will beat no team in the AFL with that defence. Fletcher, Hooker and Pears (second half) were all missing.

Watson, Lonergan and Hocking were also missing to take the hits in the middle. Weaker bodies in the middle, they can only take so many hits. After that flood gates just opened. There was no contest after half time.

We need to load up on more midfielders in the next years draft. We need to also just need to lock Melksham, Heppell, Colyer, Zaharakis all need to be locked up in the gym. We need to make them in to power power athletes who can break tackles and charge through the middle.

Slattery has no place in the our list. Hibberd straight in when he is fit.

Our best defence is:

Pears Fletcher Dempsey
Hardingham Hooker Hibberd

If Fletch retires we need a tall to fill the void. Carlisle seems a good mark. Doesn't look really agile to play like Fletch on talls and shorts. But looks capable of playing on talls.

Myers shouldn't be getting games. He looks exceptionally slow to play the modern game.

When Murphy, Judd & co are waltzing into the 50 with little pressure in the 2nd half, I really have no idea what Slattery was suppose to do.

Although the one where Betts danced around him made him look stupid.
I thought he'd have done better in the one-on-one in the square as well. But the ones he got on the lead were as much the team's fault.

Why isn't anyone talking about Hardingham's goal assist?

Noone would've stopped Betts tonight. Too nippy for Hank and it was a terrible match up.

Davey should've been given that task tonight. Surprised noone is roasting Hardingham tonight, he played a stinker and his direct actions costs us two goals. Not our worst, but he contributed to the result.

In the majority of that third quarter our defence was Jake Carlisle, Myers, Slattery, Dyson, Hardingham and Heppell. That really was Bendiogo's backline all last year with the exception of Heppell.

We will beat no team in the AFL with that defence. Fletcher, Hooker and Pears (second half) were all missing.

Watson, Lonergan and Hocking were also missing to take the hits in the middle. Weaker bodies in the middle, they can only take so many hits. After that flood gates just opened. There was no contest after half time.

We need to load up on more midfielders in the next years draft. We need to also just need to lock Melksham, Heppell, Colyer, Zaharakis all need to be locked up in the gym. We need to make them in to power power athletes who can break tackles and charge through the middle.

Slattery has no place in the our list. Hibberd straight in when he is fit.

Our best defence is:

Pears Fletcher Dempsey
Hardingham Hooker Hibberd

If Fletch retires we need a tall to fill the void. Carlisle seems a good mark. Doesn't look really agile to play like Fletch on talls and shorts. But looks capable of playing on talls.

Myers shouldn't be getting games. He looks exceptionally slow to play the modern game.

I wouldn't have Hooker in our best back 22, he's too slow and his closing speed is non existent. Replace his name with Hurley and we look so much better down back.

Davey... on Betts? If that happened, would have got on Betts for the Coleman.

Stupid reply, and your suggestion would be?

Davey would've been onto him and wore him down with his pressure all night. The guy mightn't be blessed with skills when the ball is in his hands, but his application against an opponent trying to evade him is in our top 3 for sure.

Stupid reply, and your suggestion would be?

Davey would've been onto him and wore him down with his pressure all night. The guy mightn't be blessed with skills when the ball is in his hands, but his application against an opponent trying to evade him is in our top 3 for sure.
I don't know how to reply to this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McVeigh was worse. Was just a spectator on Betts in the first qtr.

Also confused as to what job Henry must of done last week. Its not like he played on a Dangerfield or similar and took them out of the game.

Defensive forward and defender are different things.

If I recall, he has also been used in the middle to apply pressure in several occasions.

Throw him into the thick of it would be my opinion, especially if the ball isn't coming into our F50 throughout the second half, he'd remain ineffective sitting at the other end.

Thought that Davey was good in the first half - completely tagged Yarran out of the game - And Yarran cut us apart last time - Yarran played forward in the second half - Pity that Davey couldn't kick a goal or two.

Although Slatts was average last night I still think that he is worthy of a spot on our lis. Though badly beaten last night, lets be honest Slatts wasnt the reason we lost the game.
Up against Rolls Royce & Ferraris in Judd, Murphy etc & without Watson, Hocking in the middle we got smashed in the clearances & contested ball. Without Fletch, Hooker for the night, and no Pears for the 2nd half our defence was desperate & dysfunctional.

Who ever played on Eddy was going to be under relentless pressure. Slatts did what everyone would have done... crumble.

I for one am happy for Slatts to remain on the list but should be picked only when Hibberd is unavaliable for selection.

True to a degree but one of his problems is that he doesn't have the pace or agility to cope when we're under seige. Guys like Fletcher, Hardingham and Hibberd would have been able to create more of a contest in the air and at ground level because they have these qualities IMO.

As soon as someone like Betts gets a yard on Slattery it's all over. He'd be much more suited to tagging someone like Sidebottom or Krakouer next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back