Herald Sun: AFL's 40 Best Rising Stars Under 24 Years Of Age Ranked (as of September 1st 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not your ranking i know but
Yeah I’d agree, Jason Horne Francis not in the top 20 of an U 24 list is about right.
Really needs to lift his game to be considered a good enough AFL footballer to be alongside such luminaries as Durham, Holmes and Newcombe.

A lot of these guys will flip year by year based on role, continuity, maturity and so on. That specific role Horne plays and is developing in, the goal kicking mid forward who wins big contests around the hotspot, let's say the Dusty type role, that is the toughest role to master in AFL imo. And he is developing beautifully to this stage. It took Dusty and Richmond until his 8th season to go to his best level in that role. Though like Horne, he did perfectly well while they were mastering it.

Their respective 3rd seasons:

Dusty V Horne-Francis

Player rating:
13.44 v 12.2

Coach votes: 0.45 v 3.57

Disposals: 22 v 22

Contested Possessions: 8.4 v 10.4

Disposal efficiency: 70% v 65%

I50: 4.3 v 4.8

Metres Gained: 411 v 372

Disposal per clanger(higher is better): 6.8 v 5.5

Intercepts: 1.8 v 2.0

Contested marks: 0.3 v 0.6

Goals + Assists: 1.6 v 2.2

Score Involvements: 6.7 v 7.5

Offensive 1 v 1 win %: 53 v 50(this is a key statistic for this role)

Tackles: 3 v 3.1

Pressure Acts: 13.7 v 15.3

Clearances: 3.3 v 5.7

Score Launch: 1.6 v 2.0

That was actually Dusty's strongest player rating season until he hit 2017, his 8th year. But his coaches votes were way down on surrounding seasons for some reason probably to do with a little bit of ill discipline.

But you can see in many parameters Horne-Francis is comfortably ahead of Dusty at the same stage. So I would not be one bit troubled about how Horne-Francis is tracking if I were a Port supporter. That player who can win a high percentage of contests ahead of the ball and turn it into goals on the board, as Dusty showed in all those dominant finals, that is the hardest player to find, and the toughest player to stop when it really matters.

Last edited:

Mitch Georgiades would have to be pretty stiff. Averaged 2.3 goals this year.

Miles Bergman too. He's solid as a fecking rock down back.

Personally I’m slapping Treacy somewhere high in the top ten…and wouldn’t even blink.
If he’d played the last three games he’d have kicked over 50 with the most accurate kicking in the league.
Lead up, pack mark, elite field kick. Bloke has it all

Had a great season, and Freo clearly missed him late. His 2024 performance is well above a lot of more hyped young key position players.

Who is this Ross everyone is talking about?

It's not central to the thread. Meow had a hissey fit when I mentioned he would likely have made the top 50 player ratngs for players under 24 had his season not been decimated by injuries. So we had to spend 2 pages trying to stop meow from hyperventialting about it. He seems to accept it now though, all is well. :)

It's not central to the thread. Meow had a hissey fit when I mentioned he would likely have made the top 50 player ratngs for players under 24 had his season not been decimated by injuries. So we had to spend 2 pages trying to stop meow from hyperventialting about it. He seems to accept it now though, all is well. :)
There's little point backtracking.

You've been mocked and ridiculed by all. You even have the grace to come back and sit through the reviews of your embarrassing collection of posts in this thread. Good lad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm reuploading this to cause some debate. Also reranking a few players compared to when I first posted.
Feel free to post your top 40 (or 10/20, as it is quite hard) here.
My personal 40 would be as follows:
40th. Elijah Hollands
39th. Oliver Dempsey
38th. Darcy Wilson (Wilson is pure class. I would have loved him at the Hawks; he should be far higher next season)
37th. Connor MacDonald
36th. George Wardlaw (I'm a massive fan of Warlord. Could be one of the greatest contested players ever; expect to see him top 10 here next year, this low only because others have played more)
35th. Mitch Georgiades (has only gotten better as the season has gone on and he is finally realising his potential. He has runs on the board as well and could have a big finals campaign)
34th. Jye Caldwell
33rd. Sam De Koning
32nd. Luke Jackson
31st. Jye Amiss
30th. Nic Martin
29th. Kysaiah Pickett
28th. Josh Weddle
27th. Harley Reid
26th. Sam Durham
25th. Will Ashcroft
24th. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
23rd. Josh Treacy
22nd. Massimo D'Ambrosio (more talented players below him, but he has had a great season and been massive for the success of our transition game and forward movement)
21st. Mac Andrew
20th. Finn Callaghan
19th. James Rowbottom (Like D'Ambrosio, his ranking is more based on importance to the system and team. He wouldn't be here on talent alone, but his role is so crucial to the success of Longmire's system)
18th. Jordan Clark
17th. Sam Flanders
16th. Matt Rowell
15th. Jai Newcombe
14th. Max Holmes
13th. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
12th. Hayden Young
11th. Tom Green
10th. Noah Anderson (this is where Bailey Smith would be)
9th. Will Day
8th. Jason Horne-Francis
7th. Sam Darcy
6th. Caleb Serong
5th. Chad Warner
4th. Harry Sheezel
3rd. Zak Butters
2nd. Errol Gulden
1st. Nick Daicos
Treacy at 23? You are either joking or you have no idea.

The Player Ratings that have Thilthorpe 7 spots ahead of Hogan for forwards.

Mannagh is the 7th highest ranked forward in the league.

And so on.

Just for the benefit of anyone you think you are fooling...

Player ratings are expressed in average per match terms.

Thilthorpe played 7 strong games averaging 3.0 goals + assists and also played substantial time in the ruck effectively. Hogan averges 3.5 goals plus assists per game playing 100% deep forward. So it should be no shock if Thilthorpe's rating is marginally higher per game than Hogan's, except to you of course.

Mannagh played just 10 matches. He is a fully mature player who has played well in one of the best few forward lines in the competition. He has very high tackle and pressure numbers and if he sustained that level of performance over a whole season he would be seen as being one of the best performing small forwards for the season. The trouble is that is not all that easy to do over a whole season. And his season is not yet finished.

Just for the benefit of anyone you think you are fooling...

Player ratings are expressed in average per match terms.

Thilthorpe played 7 strong games averaging 3.0 goals + assists and also played substantial time in the ruck effectively. Hogan averges 3.5 goals plus assists per game playing 100% deep forward. So it should be no shock if Thilthorpe's rating is marginally higher per game than Hogan's, except to you of course.

Mannagh played just 10 matches. He is a fully mature player who has played well in one of the best few forward lines in the competition. He has very high tackle and pressure numbers and if he sustained that level of performance over a whole season he would be seen as being one of the best performing small forwards for the season. The trouble is that is not all that easy to do over a whole season. And his season is not yet finished.
Nah nah nah the Player Ratings are golden, fool proof.

Thilthorpe had a much better season than Hogan and Mannagh can consider himself unlucky not to be an All Australian forward.

No wonder we all swear by them.

Lol is that the same Bontempelli who topped the players ratings this year?

Nice self foot shooting exhibition from you PB. How unlucky for you. :)

No you idiot I’m saying that Ratingz is a better player. You aren’t even aware of what piss is being taken out of you.

Is it Bontempelli that kicks his goals or is it his Ratingz?

I’m fully cogniscent of the fact that by any metric you want to use, he PROBABLY would be relatively high up there 🤦

Or you could just shut the f**k up with irrelevant stuff nobody here values or cares about. Look at all the comments in here mocking your Jack Ross monologues and pLAyeR r8tINgs bible study.

They are mocking you mate. You were the one who brought Richmond's young players into it.

The hilarious thing is even you initially expressed your approval when I provided a comprehansive list of the player ratings. Must have been a weak moment. :tearsofjoy:

If you don't rate the ratings, why do you need to constantly cry about it? Weird. It clearly has traction with you and PhatBoy .

They are mocking you mate. You were the one who brought Richmond's young players into it.

The hilarious thing is even you initially expressed your approval when I provided a comprehansive list of the player ratings. Must have been a weak moment. :tearsofjoy:

If you don't rate the ratings, why do you need to constantly cry about it? Weird. It clearly has traction with you.
Yawn.

Yawn.

Yawn.

Nothing of note to add, accepts being mocked, doubles down on irrelevant waffle.

Dementia is a terrible thing.

Learn to spell, as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun: AFL's 40 Best Rising Stars Under 24 Years Of Age Ranked (as of September 1st 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back