Herald Sun: AFL's 40 Best Rising Stars Under 24 Years Of Age Ranked (as of September 1st 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

They are mocking you mate. You were the one who brought Richmond's young players into it.

The hilarious thing is even you initially expressed your approval when I provided a comprehansive list of the player ratings. Must have been a weak moment. :tearsofjoy:

If you don't rate the ratings, why do you need to constantly cry about it? Weird. It clearly has traction with you and PhatBoy .
Yawn.

Yawn.

Yawn.

Nothing of note to add, accepts being mocked, doubles down on irrelevant waffle.

Dementia is a terrible thing.

Learn to spell, as well.
Joe Biden Shut Up GIF by Election 2020

why is everyone so triggered over some list with a random condition (under 24). For what is worth the list is a joke without finn callahan. I want to know who right now wouldnt want their club to give up at least a first rounder for him if he was available.

100% this.

It’s a dumb list when you’re comparing people who have been in the system 5+ years with first year players. It’s also extremely subjective and more than likely designed to cause some shit arguments to generate clicks.

Not your ranking i know but
Yeah I’d agree, Jason Horne Francis not in the top 20 of an U 24 list is about right.
Really needs to lift his game to be considered a good enough AFL footballer to be alongside such luminaries as Durham, Holmes and Newcombe.

Look, I completely agree...Horne-Francis is a gun and will very likely be top 5 of that group in years to come but I think you've targeted the wrong players there.

Newcombe, Horne-Francis and Holmes all have 1 AA squad selection each.

Newcombe has 176 Coaches votes to Horne-Francis 109 and Holmes 93.

As fortunate as Horne Francis has been with Brownlow votes (e.g v. Geelong last season), Newcombe has outpolled him every season so far (I expect that will change this year) to have nearly twice as many total votes.

Here are the stat comparisons between the three to date (purple highlight means leading)...

Comparison.PNG

Now I have no doubt that Horne-Francis will likely be the best of the three but player ratings are based on what has happened, not what will happen. Regardless, I think picking Newcombe and Holmes out of that top 20 as your examples for mocking comparison "luminaries" are not your best choices as both those players will be (and already are) very, very good.

Last edited:
Lol it might be if we hadn't taken 5 players in the top 30 of the 2021 draft. And if Balta, Mansell, Ross, Maurice Jnr, of our under 25s were also not already entrenched in the best 22 at the club. And if Lefau, Campbell, Miller, had also not looked comfortable at the level. And several others like Ralphsmith, McAuliffe, Green, Bauer hadn't shown significant promise in their roles. And if our 8-10 round 1 picks in the next 2 drafts weren't going to be playing with up to 8 multiple flag players to start their careers.

You are the Richmond Chicken Little.
🤮 wow.. that's a really poor list. Other than Noah Balta I wouldn't expect any of those players to be best 22 at a mid table AFL side.

🤮 wow.. that's a really poor list. Other than Noah Balta I wouldn't expect any of those players to be best 22 at a mid table AFL side.

Didn't you have some further stats to provide to help give context to your earlier post?

Anyway, rest assured, the last thing you will need to worry about after the next 2 drafts is Richmond's youth.

McVee is better than half of these blokes.

McVee is the 18th highest rated player designated as a defender to play 10 or more games this year, who turns 24 in 2024 or is younger.

He has the 11th highest rating of all players turning 21 this year.

He has the 53rd highest player rating of all players 24 or younger to play 10 or more games in 2024.

One interesting thing with McVee is unlike some, he has sustained his level over 2 whole seasons as a 20 & 21yo, so looks pretty bankable. He looks likely to come into the top 40 over the next 3 years, but isn't quite there yet.

Look, I completely agree...Horne-Francis is a gun and will very likely be top 5 of that group in years to come but I think you've targeted the wrong players there.

Newcombe, Horne-Francis and Holmes all have 1 AA squad selection each.

Newcombe has 176 Coaches votes to Horne-Francis 109 and Holmes 93.

As fortunate as Horne Francis has been with Brownlow votes (e.g v. Geelong last season), Newcombe has outpolled him every season so far (I expect that will change this year) to have nearly twice as many total votes.

Here are the stat comparisons between the three to date (purple highlight means leading)...

View attachment 2100954

Now I have no doubt that Horne-Francis will likely be the best of the three but player ratings are based on what has happened, not what will happen. Regardless, I think picking Newcombe and Holmes out of that top 20 as your examples for mocking comparison "luminaries" are not your best choices as both those players will be (and already are) very, very good.
Yeah, im agreeing with you, JHF is not in the top 20 in that list, on exposed form, by anyone’s measure.

Yeah, im agreeing with you, JHF is not in the top 20 in that list, on exposed form, by anyone’s measure.

I think he had a great year and is absolutely around the mark.

I was more calling out the players you chose as mock "luminaries" from the top 20, as they are A graders (I.e. very good to elite) players in their own right. Whilst I consider him to be generally underrated, you may have been better calling out someone like James Rowbottom. No doubt he is having a career best year but he has played twice as many games as Horne Francis and is 3 years older (will be 24 in 2 weeks). He is 4th or 5th banana in a dominant midfield and whilst he plays a crucial role (as a more defensive mid that blocks for others whilst still winning his own, ala Connor Nash, etc.)- it is still more of a 'role player' position. In other words, a B+ ceiling type compared to the aforementioned A graders.

So far in his career he has received 0 Brownlow votes and only 50 odd Coaches Votes (half of Horne Francis and less than a third of Newcombe, despite being older than both).

I'm reuploading this to cause some debate. Also reranking a few players compared to when I first posted.
Feel free to post your top 40 (or 10/20, as it is quite hard) here.
My personal 40 would be as follows:
40th. Elijah Hollands
39th. Oliver Dempsey
38th. Darcy Wilson (Wilson is pure class. I would have loved him at the Hawks; he should be far higher next season)
37th. Connor MacDonald
36th. George Wardlaw (I'm a massive fan of Warlord. Could be one of the greatest contested players ever; expect to see him top 10 here next year, this low only because others have played more)
35th. Mitch Georgiades (has only gotten better as the season has gone on and he is finally realising his potential. He has runs on the board as well and could have a big finals campaign)
34th. Jye Caldwell
33rd. Sam De Koning
32nd. Luke Jackson
31st. Jye Amiss
30th. Nic Martin
29th. Kysaiah Pickett
28th. Josh Weddle
27th. Harley Reid
26th. Sam Durham
25th. Will Ashcroft
24th. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
23rd. Josh Treacy
22nd. Massimo D'Ambrosio (more talented players below him, but he has had a great season and been massive for the success of our transition game and forward movement)
21st. Mac Andrew
20th. Finn Callaghan
19th. James Rowbottom (Like D'Ambrosio, his ranking is more based on importance to the system and team. He wouldn't be here on talent alone, but his role is so crucial to the success of Longmire's system)
18th. Jordan Clark
17th. Sam Flanders
16th. Matt Rowell
15th. Jai Newcombe
14th. Max Holmes
13th. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
12th. Hayden Young
11th. Tom Green
10th. Noah Anderson (this is where Bailey Smith would be)
9th. Will Day
8th. Jason Horne-Francis
7th. Sam Darcy
6th. Caleb Serong
5th. Chad Warner
4th. Harry Sheezel
3rd. Zak Butters
2nd. Errol Gulden
1st. Nick Daicos
Zak Butters, you can leave my list. Absolute joke. Dylan Moore is so much better.

Doesn't that also increase Sheezles stats? He is the only player in the side that knows how to play football, so whenever a team mates gets the ball they look for him to do something with it.

JHF doesn't need to play that role, this enables him to be a lot more damaging with his 20 odd possessions?
More damaging? JHF is so hit and miss.

Not your ranking i know but
Yeah I’d agree, Jason Horne Francis not in the top 20 of an U 24 list is about right.
Really needs to lift his game to be considered a good enough AFL footballer to be alongside such luminaries as Durham, Holmes and Newcombe.

Thought Holmes was one of the outstanding players on the field last night. He's the kind of player that sneaks up on you though, navigates smoothly through the game, doesnt necessarily draw the attention. Provides a heap of drive though.

JJF was ok, not among your worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't that also increase Sheezles stats? He is the only player in the side that knows how to play football, so whenever a team mates gets the ball they look for him to do something with it.

JHF doesn't need to play that role, this enables him to be a lot more damaging with his 20 odd possessions?
What is going on with your signature... holy 2015 batman

Let me guess, people are getting upset and arguing over what is just a glorified opinion piece?

Is Jamarra the most overrated player in the history of the game?
He's not even the most overrated player on his team (Tim English)

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun: AFL's 40 Best Rising Stars Under 24 Years Of Age Ranked (as of September 1st 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back