Herald Sun: AFL's 40 Best Rising Stars Under 24 Years Of Age Ranked (as of September 1st 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

165 votes cast this year and not even 1 vote to either of the Top 2 first year goal kickers.

It’s not much of an award and it should lose its prestige.
Why would you pick a 1st year goal kicker of 20 odd goals when you could pick a gun forward who has kicked a lot more goals since they have been in comp for longer. It's not the best 1st year player list.

Palmers first year was amazing
He was Freo’s number 1 mid wasn’t a stat paddler either
20 games
10 goals 10 assists
ave 3+ tackles 3+ clearance 3+ i50

Want to compare highlights reel?

Had to split it into 2 separate posts it was so good:

Why would you pick a 1st year goal kicker of 20 odd goals when you could pick a gun forward who has kicked a lot more goals since they have been in comp for longer. It's not the best 1st year player list.

The 22 Under 22 list contains players who are 23... so when its the AFL pretty much anything is possible.

Want to compare highlights reel?

Had to split it into 2 separate posts it was so good:

The 22 Under 22 list contains players who are 23... so when its the AFL pretty much anything is possible.

Finals aren’t included
Great highlight package but when your a full time fwd you should ave at least 1 goal a game

How many small forwards kicked 22 goals in their 1st season the AFL era ?

He loses out on a technicality but Jeff ‘the actual Wizard’ Farmer played 7 games in his debut season, starting as a 17 year old still 3 months away from being old enough to go to a pub.

He returned a year later at 18 and kicked 37 in 19 games so there’s a 174cm forward who doesn’t quite fit the criteria but for all intents and purposes you can say may as well have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He loses out on a technicality but Jeff ‘the actual Wizard’ Farmer played 7 games in his debut season, starting as a 17 year old still 3 months away from being old enough to go to a pub.

He returned a year later at 18 and kicked 37 in 19 games so there’s a 174cm forward who doesn’t quite fit the criteria but for all intents and purposes you can say may as well have.

Except he had 2 pre-seasons which is a huge factor in the growth of players.

Is Noah Anderson better than Hayden Young. That's not my impression.

I don’t think the prestige was lost when Palmer won it.
It’s only judged on that year not the stink that followed.
Palmer had an exceptional year
Don’t accept all that the media tells you
It’s a big world out there

Yes but he wasn't better then Rioli, and no good judge or coach if they were able to pick a player for their team, would've taken Palmer ahead of Rioli after the end of the 2008 home and away season.

Scary thing for the Pies is the lack of talent under 24. I still think a few will be good, but just lack opportunities because of the geriatrics playing. If we give away next years first rounder again, I might go feral.

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun: AFL's 40 Best Rising Stars Under 24 Years Of Age Ranked (as of September 1st 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back