AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

Tigers prepare for big change
23 July 2007 Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

0,1658,5578376,00.jpg

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has warned his players they will be replaced if they don't improve basic skills.

In what should have been a celebration for star forward Matthew Richardson's 250th match, the Tigers suffered a 55-point humiliation at the hands of Port Adelaide.

There were few encouraging signs for the bottom-placed Tigers, who continually butchered the ball and made poor and costly decisions.

The Tigers face more pain in the next month, with Sydney, ladder-leader Geelong, the in-form Collingwood and premiers West Coast ahead.

In contrast, Port's hopes continue to rise after the win left it with a 10-6 record and in reach of the top four.

Wallace conceded more changes would be made if there wasn't improvement.

"It gets to the stage where if blokes can't improve we have got to replace them," Wallace said.

"You improve the ones that have improvement in them or, if you think you have come to the end of the road with some that can't improve, you have to replace them.

"We have just got to keep the guys up, keep their heads up and keep working on what we can do."

The Tigers were competitive in a high-scoring opening term, trailing Port by just 11 points at quarter-time.

But Wallace said poor skills and turn-overs had again cost the Tigers.

"We just couldn't maintain possession and the skill level of the opposition was far too great," Wallace said.

"They got 15 goals directly from our turnovers. That hurts in any game of footy.

"The other very clear difference between the sides, was their very best players played terrific and we didn't get the same result out of our best players."

Despite having won just one game for the season, Wallace denied the team, and he as coach, had escaped the blowtorch this season.

"It's been a very tough year for everyone," he said.

"We don't hide that we're unaccepting of where we're at.

"But we don't step away from the direction we are heading."

Richardson finished with four goals in his milestone match after a frustrating first half, but Wallace insisted his team had tried its best for the veteran.

"From an effort point of view, I didn't think there wasn't anything wrong," he said.

"I didn't think there was any lack of respect."

Wallace said he was encouraged by the performances of some young Tigers, including Jack Riewoldt, who kicked four goals.

"I thought Jack showed that he's now ready to step up and play at the level," he said.

"I thought Shane Edwards continued to show improvement.

"There were things from our younger players that were pretty reasonable, but it gets lost in the result, I suppose."

Power coach Mark Williams praised the change in his team's attitude for its turn-around in form.

"The team aspect is probably more significant than anything else," Williams said.

"All of a sudden they are not particularly interested in their own stuff. They are interested in us being winners."

But Williams said he was not yet considering a top-four finish.

"We never talk top four," he said.

"We have an ambition to make the finals and that's what we're trying to do."

Williams said captain Warren Tredrea's game was his best of the season.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22116861%255E19742,00.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has warned his players they will be replaced if they don't improve basic skills."
Hey Terry, you knob...
Try drafting some players with skill too !!
deliberate!!

"RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has warned his players they will be replaced if they don't improve basic skills."

replaced if they didnt improve their "BASIC" skills? How the **** do they get a game if they havent got "BASIC" skills TW?
Not only that, what happen to the "i want to see who wants in on the ride" you were spruiking back a couple of years ago? ;)

Terry - Joel I want you to play accountable football, forget about the dream team points.
Joel - D'oh

Just an opionion of Supercoach...J.Bowden scored 129 points this week with 16 kicks, 16 handballs, 7 marks, 2 clangers, 2 frees for and 2 frees against, 2 tackels and a behind.

Gary Ablett Jr managed 127 points with 19 kicks, 16 handballs, 10 marks, 4 clangers, one tackle and 1 goal 1 behind.

So the question is put to people....Bowden according to Supercoach principles, and by inference Champion Data criteria played a more complete, valuable to the team game than Gaz Jr. Trouble is Gaz had many mates getting 100+, whereas Bowden had barely anyone who shared the workload.

Does anyone REALLY understand Champion data???????????

Just an opionion of Supercoach...J.Bowden scored 129 points this week with 16 kicks, 16 handballs, 7 marks, 2 clangers, 2 frees for and 2 frees against, 2 tackels and a behind.

Gary Ablett Jr managed 127 points with 19 kicks, 16 handballs, 10 marks, 4 clangers, one tackle and 1 goal 1 behind.

So the question is put to people....Bowden according to Supercoach principles, and by inference Champion Data criteria played a more complete, valuable to the team game than Gaz Jr. Trouble is Gaz had many mates getting 100+, whereas Bowden had barely anyone who shared the workload.

Does anyone REALLY understand Champion data???????????

what it doesnt tell you is the hard ball gets ablett wouldve had compared with bowdens freebies along the backline. the only reason why bowden didnt have more marks is because our players cant kick it to him on the full.
it also doesnt tell you how damaging ablett was compared to bowden.

I'm sick of wallace talkin his usual crap. Either the players came to the club with basic skills and the coaches are teaching them otherwise, so its the coaches fault. Or they are drafting people with no skills, then its the recruitments fault.

Just another example of Wallace deflecting the blame and creating a smokescreen around the real issues.....he has simply turned this club into a basket case, and until he goes, we will forever be hearing this crap.

Why could these players kick last year, and this year they can't??
Why do we turn no. 1 and 4 draft picks into ordinary players??
Why do we keep promoting and dropping youngsters after giving them little game time??
Why do we keep making the same excuses year after year??

Just another example of Wallace deflecting the blame and creating a smokescreen around the real issues.....he has simply turned this club into a basket case, and until he goes, we will forever be hearing this crap.

Why could these players kick last year, and this year they can't??
Why do we turn no. 1 and 4 draft picks into ordinary players??
Why do we keep promoting and dropping youngsters after giving them little game time??
Why do we keep making the same excuses year after year??
They couldn't kick last year either.
Everyone keeps pointing to last year. Why?
We won 11 games but people fail to see past the smokescreen. Three hundred-plus point floggings and three giftwrapped wins in the last three games against Brisbane, Essendon and Carlton who were all tanking anyway.
I expected us to slide a bit this year because I never thought we were any good last year, but one win is a bit worse than I envisaged.

0,1658,5578376,00.jpg

Terry: Now, Joel you are playing on....um...
Joel: Tredrea?
Terry: No, that other bloke...C. something.
Joel: Cornes?
Terry: No.. ...um...look just forget it and run around and make sure you look busy.
Terry: (thinking) Shit hang on..Is that 3rd quarter or halftime on the clock?

Tigers prepare for big change
23 July 2007 Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

0,1658,5578376,00.jpg

Terry: Now if I just move the board a little to the right I can reflect the sun and work on the tan a little.
Joel Bowden: Man that's bright.
Terry: (Assuming Joel was refering to his latest tactic) Cheers Joel as a reward play free this half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0,1658,5578376,00.jpg

Terry: No.. ...um...look just forget it and run around and make sure you look busy.

LOL hilarious posting! :thumbsu:

0,1658,5578376,00.jpg

Pissa BB. keep em comin!!

0,1658,5578376,00.jpg

Terry: Here's how we reckon the best and fairest table is looking.
Bowden: WTF. Who is Foley?
Terry: See Tivva, he came 6th last year and this year he's fallen away.
Bowden: But I keep taking 20 marks a game. Doesn't that count?
Terry: Try and kick it to Johnno.
Bowden: Who's Foley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald Sun Article (23/07/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back