Here we go again: Captain for next year???

Who should get the gig??

• Fraser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O'Brien

• Lockyer

• Cloke

• Pendlebury

• Maxwell

• Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

With a solid leadership group there is no standout captain! I just dont see Fraser being captain, nor pendurbury (he still needs to focus on his development).

Tarkyen is a short term decision and its in the clubs best interest to go with a long term prospect! So the only decision at this time is..

NICK MAXWELL

Great another summer for the NM fanboi's beating the Maxwell for captain again.....

And another summer of you making false claims about his form through-out the season. To suggest that Maxwell's place in the side was ever in doubt, as you've done repeatedly, is ludicrous. Especially considering that we had lesser players in Goldsack, Toovey, Cook and even Wakelin all playing in the backline at one point or another.

2009 Captaincy Candidates

Who's going to replace Scott Burns?

In my (most humble) opinion, there are only three legitimate possibilities at this stage and they are:

• Dane Swan
• Travis Cloke
• Scott Pendlebury

Josh Fraser doesn't have the presence to carry the team and Maxwell doesn't have the natural ability to guarantee a place in the best 22. I think those are both key factors to consider.

Thought?

Pendlebury, young, not major injuries, has a level head on him. Appoint him young and he will deal with the pressure of being capt of this fine club. He has show maturity.
He is the furture of this club

Swan has averaged more overall posessions that Pendlebury has this season. He has also had more CONTESTED posessions than Pendles. I'm not sure where to get the stats for hardball gets from, but I would imagine they would be quite similar.

Fingers crossed we announce the next captain earlier than we did before 2008. Hopefullly this scenario we are in was predicted and therefore some transition plan was in place. We can announce a captain early and move on to the preseason with some clarity around our leadership group.

I was making this poll, and i was thinking of putting Swan in, then i thought

Is Swan in the leadership group??????? Which im 99% sure that he isn't

And i seriously cannot see him getting it has i doubt a player will go from nothing to captain.

I voted Fraser, in the veiw that he will have it for 4-5 years and then hand it on to Pendlebury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was making this poll, and i was thinking of putting Swan in, then i thought

Is Swan in the leadership group??????? Which im 99% sure that he isn't

And i seriously cannot see him getting it has i doubt a player will go from nothing to captain.

I voted Fraser, in the veiw that he will have it for 4-5 years and then hand it on to Pendlebury

He's not in the leadership group, but I don't think fraser was last year, and became VC (acting captain on more than a few occasions). Swan is more than capable.

The swan for captain bandwagon member list:
Optimax
FIGJAM
Swanny36
Godfrey Williams (also wants tarkyn)
Kerr is God
Subprime
jonesy86
The sqawka
PendlePie
Person Pitch
Smoky
Swiftdog
Alfiiee
Loki04
Magpie10
Skade
#1 Pies
Zeke

Now that is a bandwagon.

Swan as captain pendlebury, Cloke, Fraser and Maxwell as the vices/deputies. Swanny ticks all the boxes fine player, on field leader, hard trainer, Blue collar eveything, decent media talker and right age.

I dont think it should matter he wasnt in the leadership group up until this year no one bar us rated him and he never spoke throughout he year he has been our no1 everything and spoken on behalf of the playing group alot

The swan for captain bandwagon member list:
Optimax
FIGJAM
Swanny36
Godfrey Williams (also wants tarkyn)
Kerr is God
Subprime
jonesy86
The sqawka
PendlePie
Person Pitch
Smoky
Swiftdog
Alfiiee
Loki04
Magpie10
Skade
#1 Pies
Zeke

Now that is a bandwagon.

Swan as captain pendlebury, Cloke, Fraser and Maxwell as the vices/deputies. Swanny ticks all the boxes fine player, on field leader, hard trainer, Blue collar eveything, decent media talker and right age.

I dont think it should matter he wasnt in the leadership group up until this year no one bar us rated him and he never spoke throughout he year he has been our no1 everything and spoken on behalf of the playing group alot
How'd you go with the assignment?:thumbsu:

For me, It's anyone but Fraser.

I can't see it being Lockyer, O'Brien or Even Rocca because he is too injury prone.

I would love to see Pendlebury, Swan or Cloke lead out the boys!

I'd think Swan would be a good choice but as an earlier poster has said he is not in the leadership group so you would think that would count him out. Burns came from out of the leadership group this year but that was due to him wanting to give others a shot.

I think the captaincy will depend on where the club sees itself. If it thinks it has a shot in the next two years, expect to see Josh with the captaincy.

If they look more long term, then Pendlebury comes into calculations. He has been talked up for a while now and would depend on how he conducts himself behind close doors. He might not look the outgoing type but he is in that leadership group for a reason.

Maxwell is the only other logical one for mine. I know people will scream that he is not an automatic selection in their eyes but he obviously is in the club's eyes and his last 6 or 7 games were pretty good. He could be a Tom Harley style appointment.

I'd love to see Pendlebury or Swan get it but my tip is either Fraser or Maxwell.

Re: 2009 Captaincy Candidates

Yeah, Zeke's threads are the only place to be really.

Two options for the Pies I reckon:

1. Pendlebury. (That'd be what I'd do)
2. Add the captaincy to the package on offer for a trade for an elite player. (A-la Judd to Carlton.)

Not sure anyone worthy is available for option 2 though. It might have worked with J. Brown if that had have come to pass. Not sure you'd want captaincy and Kerr in the same sentence, although it'd be a small price to pay if it secured him and was for a season or two before handing over to a long-term candidate like Pendlebury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go again: Captain for next year???

Back