Here's a question for you Hawthorn greatest team of all backers.

Remove this Banner Ad

If the umpires umpired preliminary finals correctly, how many GFs would Hawthorn have made? Zero or 1?

Doing it hard down sleeping hollow way these days. A once worthy adversary now looks down upon the GFC from such a hight they need a telescope to find them. Fans like Whiskers are on 24 hour self harm watch. They spend their days hand wringing and mumbling about pro Hawthorn conspiracies.

Grand Final is played at the MCG every side new it in Round 1 and they know it will be there next year. You need a game plan to win there or you might as well not show up. This is nearly as trivial as saying the side who has the most players wearing sunglasses in the parade will lose.

Those early misses cost more than all the slight Vic favoritism combined. It probably isnt totally fair the game is at the MCG but WCE stuffed themselves early just like we did in 2013.

so wot u are saying is u couldn't get within 8 goals of a side that finished BELOW u cos it was interstate ?

hardy har

Nope not saying that at all

I dont even think we would have got within five of you at subi the way you lot played.

It was the hawks day end of

Look at the bigger picture

stop covering your tracks now .. if thats wot u really think then close the thread. Otherwise, u have zero point, which is clear anyway

My point is that it isnt really fair that we have to play at the g.

But that aint going to change in the near term - i can accept that - but we need to play at least 3 - preferably 4 games a year there. Not in fn tasmania.

Seeing as we can accept the innate unfairness of the granny being at the g for the near futurec- i dont think the second point needs to be addressed.

To be fair it is a bit of a joke that West Coast had to play at Hawthorn's home ground despite finishing above them and flogging them at Subi.

If they're going to continue playing GFs at the G, and obviously they are, then every team should play there maybe at least 5 times in the H & A season so that if they make the big one they're not at a massive disadvantage. I'm not even sure how many times West Coast played at the MCG this year but I don't think it was many.

I actually think this Hawthorn 3peat despite being a mighty achievement is not as great as perhaps others think. In 13 Freo came and played about as bad as they could and only narrowly lost. I remember that GF as being the worst in terms of skill that I've ever seen. If Freo had come and played only slightly below par they would have won easily and will perhaps never get a better opportunity to win a flag.

The last 2 years of course Sydney and West Coast have disgraced themselves, so that makes 3 GFs in a row where Hawthorn's opponents have basically failed to fire a shot. You can credit Hawthorn for much of that if you like but I think playing at home in a GF would have to increase one's chances of not being overawed by the sense of occasion.

You could make a case that this was a soft year for Hawthorn.

WCE without key defenders, didn't even make the 8 last year, are they really that good?
Freo. No fwd line, Fyfe injured.
Sydney. decimated by injury.

It's not like the had to beat a team like Malthouse's Pies or Lyon's St Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow another thread with possible excuses, getting embarrassing now.
The Eagles lost on the weekend simply to a better side, of course we had a bad day but Hawthorn are a great side. Or the crap about home ground etc might actually be true but we don't live in a fantasy world we live in the AFL.
Hawthorn or Brisbane 3 peat??? Would not mind supporting either side, great achievement and there is no definition that can be proved who is better.
If you can't sit back and admire just how well the Hawks have done then you simply don't appreciate the game, and they did the hard way this year. Full respect!!
I am not even upset with the Eagles, we greatly have improved and had a shocker at the worst time. Hopefully learn and move forward. I am sure thats the clubs plan.
Meanwhile show some respect to a great side, admire their great achievement, let their supporters have their time and hope we can get another chance next year.

Agree, however, these are the little things to look at when asking if their the best team of the generation. Brisbane played their three grand finals on a foreign ground, in which their opponents had the home ground advantage. i feel thats a lot more impressive than what hawthorn has done.

Brisbane also enjoyed their own home ground which was uniquely hot during the winter. Pointing at the MCG as making it a walkover for Victorian teams is a spurious argument.

You could make a case that this was a soft year for Hawthorn.

WCE without key defenders, didn't even make the 8 last year, are they really that good?
Freo. No fwd line, Fyfe injured.
Sydney. decimated by injury.

It's not like the had to beat a team like Malthouse's Pies or Lyon's St Kilda.

Don't have much regard for the AFL"s better teams do you? Hawthorns 2015 team are entitled to a bit more respect than what you are offering up. When Hawthorn lost the QF I can't recall anyone questioning whether West Coast "Are really that good". I could take a look at any Premiership and start picking holes in their opponents but that would be petty and most likely innacurate.

Many posters would have you believe that our home ground is in Tassie and mcg is a neutral venue :p

In all seriousness, your argument is void - the grand final has always been played at the mcg (except for 1991 which I'm sure you know about)..

Interstate sides have not had an issue winning premierships at the MCG before.. You can't hold it against the Hawks for being too good :thumbsu:

Just a minor point, 9 Grand Finals have been contested at grounds other than the MCG

Would Hawthorn have their three-peat if their grand finals weren't played at their home ground????

There already is a thread about the grand final being at a neutral venue, or who is better Brisbane, geelong, hawthorn etc, however what about this....

Hawthorns three grand final wins have come against interstate teams who have had to play on a pitch which has different dimensions to their own, a stadium where they had only played minimal times during the year, and not to mention the significant crowd advantage and influence the hawks have.

Lets look at 2013 grand final. Hawks win by 15 points. Played against a team that had barely played a game at the MCG all year, and traveled from Perth, where they played over 50% of their games on a pitch with much smaller dimensions.

2014 Grand final. Hawks win by 63 points. Annihilation, and you'd have to be stupid to say that the MCG is a 10 goal advantage for the hawks, but had the game been played in Sydney with a majority of supporters being Sydney supporters would it had been Sydney who crumbled under pressure early on, and then were forced to chase the game, or would it potentially been the Hawks who crumbled under the pressure of playing on a foreign ground, with no home crowd support??

2015 Grand Final. Hawks win by 46 points. No excuses for the Eagles here but an embarrassment really. Many fumbles, easy mistakes, made Hawthorn look like they couldn't do no wrong. However, just 3 weeks back at the Eagles home ground we saw the complete opposite occur?? Is it just a coincidence the Hawks had a bad game 3 three weeks ago, and three weeks later the Eagles just happen to have a bad game?? Or could it be similar reasons to 2014. Early on pressure of a grand final, playing on a ground which they are not used to, infront of an intimidating home crowd. Meanwhile the hawks had the advantage of playing on their home ground, infront of their home crowd, and were able to settle quicker, and hence get out to a marginal advantage and force their opponents to try and chase for the rest of the game??

Firsly before i get criticized like i said the game could have been played at Pattersons and the way the eagles played, and the way the hawks played their wouldnt have been much difference, but for all those saying Hawthorn is the greatest team of all, bar their 2013 season, they haven't been the best team throughout the home and away seasons of 2014, and 2015 yet were fortunate enough to play the grand final on their home ground, in front of their home crowd.

Had all three of these three finals been played in Perth, and Sydney would the hawks still be 3-0?

maybe freo might have beaten them in 2013 if it was played in the west. but they were far superior on the day to both west coast and sydney in the last GFs.

Don't have much regard for the AFL"s better teams do you? Hawthorns 2015 team are entitled to a bit more respect than what you are offering up. When Hawthorn lost the QF I can't recall anyone questioning whether West Coast "Are really that good". I could take a look at any Premiership and start picking holes in their opponents but that would be petty and most likely innacurate.

No question, they're a great team and deserve due respect, but since we're comparing them to other great premiership sides i think we're entitled to examine context. Are West Coast really that good? I guess we learn that next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a question for you Hawthorn greatest team of all backers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back