Heritage Guernseys - the best and the worst

Remove this Banner Ad

am not so much interested in a debate of who had the best ot worst colours this weekend but rather would like some answers as to where this ridiculous concept is going?

are we going to have teams wear different heritage guernseys every year?

why?

pretty damn stupid IMO.

Crow2005 said:
I liked St Kilda's colours they are the colours that St Kilda really should still have but the Changed them in either WW1 or WW2 because of the resembelance to Germany any saint's supporters if you think or know I am wrong let me know !

Loved the Crows one ! but really it is a state jumper and not a part of our (club history) I loved the gurnsey we had fo the ansett cup in 96 I wish they brought it back as our away strip or for heritage round it's the one with a giant crow on front ! our away one has a crow on it but it is not the same !

That's not really accurate.

In World War I Imperial Germany's colours were red, white and black - which were also St Kilda's colours. St Kilda switched to the jumper worn last night during the war, and then returned to their red, white and black once the war was over. It's merely a coincidence that the colours they switched to eventually became Germany's national colours.

Didn't see all of them but from the ones I did see, West Coast, Brisbane's, Sydney's, Footscray's were good.
I like the Carlton 1980's jumper with the older style monogram than the newer one, like they wore for thier last game at Optus, did they wear that on the weekend?

Port's just didn't look right (should've been allowed to wear the Prison Bars), Hawthorn's I didn't go much on, Adelaide's would've looked better without the red numbers.
Geelong's, Essendon's, Richmond's and Melbourne's were neither here or nor there.

What did Collingwood wear? The predominantly white jumper?

PAFC2004 said:
Absolute garbage. They had no right to wear a state guernsey. That is not part of their heritage.

Please move to the "yawn - get over it" board.

Mean Machine said:
The biggest joke is that some clubs couldn't wear their prefered heritage jumper this time around!!

I would have LOVED it if the Power were finally allowed to wear the jailbars - and the gutless side they have running around managed to still get done by a coasting Crows ...

That WOULD shame their heritage. Good idea not to waste the PA Magpies jumper on this mob.

PAFC2004 said:
Absolute garbage. They had no right to wear a state guernsey. That is not part of their heritage.
Do you ever give up ? or is whinning a hobby of yours? Personnally, I didnt mind the Crows jumper, most of them looked fairly good, the best I reckon was the Swans.

melbournemartin said:
quite liked the dees, wouldnt mind seeing it occasionally again. maybe add a bit more red and it could be a clash strip

I quite liked it, but no way should it be a change strip. Our current clash jumper is effective precisely because it's different/

It would be nice too if MFC could get the blue in the heritage jumper right. The original 1920s jumper was actually royal blue (a la 1975-1986), not navy.

PAFC2004 said:

It was the show down.

Port Lost.

Adelaide - South Australia's team.

They should be allowed to wear a state jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow2005
I liked St Kilda's colours they are the colours that St Kilda really should still have but the Changed them in either WW1 or WW2 because of the resembelance to Germany any saint's supporters if you think or know I am wrong let me know !

Loved the Crows one ! but really it is a state jumper and not a part of our (club history) I loved the gurnsey we had fo the ansett cup in 96 I wish they brought it back as our away strip or for heritage round it's the one with a giant crow on front ! our away one has a crow on it but it is not the same !

Charlie G
That's not really accurate.

In World War I Imperial Germany's colours were red, white and black - which were also St Kilda's colours. St Kilda switched to the jumper worn last night during the war, and then returned to their red, white and black once the war was over. It's merely a coincidence that the colours they switched to eventually became Germany's national colours.

The colours were actually Belgiums colours an ally in WW1, and were chosen specifically for that. St Kilda thought of changing back from RWB to that Jumper for WW2, when germany's colours were still RWB, but decided against it.

The problem I have with these jumpers is that most were wrong.
How hard would it be to go back and make them the same as older jumpers?
You wouldn't think it would be too hard.

Adelaide, Port & Freo are exempt from this discussion as they were borrowing someone else's heritage. (Yes, Port Power is a different team from Port Magpies)
Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney and Richmond copied jumpers from their past.

Geelong just took out every second hoop from last years jumper to look better on TV. It looked less like the 1925 jumper it was supposed to represent than their Home jumper does.
Melbourne could have ran the band around the back as well as the front, but for no particular reason didn't. Again. The 1926-29 jumper had a band around the back as well as the front.
Footscray looked great, but the collar was red, why include white?
StKilda, the panels were too wide, the 1915 jumper was stripes, not panels.
West Coast, the wings were too high, the 1987 jumper had deeper wings.
North. Why include the North Story logo? The 1925 jumper would have been fine without it.

Mero said:
The problem I have with these jumpers is that most were wrong.
How hard would it be to go back and make them the same as older jumpers?
You wouldn't think it would be too hard.

Agreed. Would be nice to see clubs as Sydney wear the jumper they wore in 1921 and Brisbane wear the Fitzroy red jumper one year. most clubs have had an array of jumpers, they should use more of them.

No matter what anyone says, I liked our Heritage guernsey this round. If the AFL was to introduce an alternate guernsey rule that states it has to be different colours - I would gladly accept the jumper.

Just a question .. why do people seem to think heritage guernseys are some sort of fashion competition.

The entire concept is for clubs to wear jumpers pulled back from their history. Generally the further back clubs go - the more likely the jumper is to be "uncool" - if we want it to be a fashion competiton lets just rename the round the fancy dress round and let clubs wear whatever the fashion houses think will be the coming summers latest trend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heritage Guernseys - the best and the worst

Remove this Banner Ad

Back